Thread: 450g of protein

450g of protein

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/310mut.jsp

this guys transformation is very impressive.

he eats 450g of protein each day on his cutting diet,

from the pics it obviously works really well,

my question is, do you really need more than 1g per pound
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

I wannabebig!
    do you "need" no

can it help sure..

I read something that if you have reduced carbs, your body resorts to using some of the protein you eat for energy (something like that), so the protein avaliable for muscle will be less, but as the body doesnt store protein as fat so readily um well i tried

I'm probably wrong, but I think goal state would be to maintain a positive nitrogen balance while keeping your calories to a point where your daily activity + BMR consumes 250-500 more cals per day than you consume.

To keep a + nitrogen balance I think the jury might still be out on if its soley a caloric issue or how much protein comes into play?

Thats the gist of what I understand...but I'm probably way off

--
    oh, so point being, the 450g of protein might be to compensate for a low carb diet...ya gotta get the cals from somewhere
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 04-27-2004 at 12:06 PM.

I read something that if you have reduced carbs, your body resorts to using some of the protein you eat for energy (something like that), so the protein avaliable for muscle will be less, but as the body doesnt store protein as fat so readily um well i tried
    you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat, but when you eat them it will burn less fat, so its all the same in the end. and your body always uses a large portion of the protein you eat for energy, but there isn't relaly anything you can do about it and its assumed in protein needed formulas anyway.

He has been discussed in the past. I do believe he used some type of androgen during his transformation.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat
    it can store all three macro's as fat the only difference is efficiency

protein and carbs require calories to fuel the processes needed for conversion to fat

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    those numbers do seem a bit low for carbs, even if you keep protein that high, I dont know......he looks extremely well defined for someone who says they are completely natural, not saying you cant look like that in that amount of time, but damn, if he is for real how do you go through half your life and not realize you have those kinds of genetics to make such a transformation naturally?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    you body isn't going to store protein or carbs as fat, but when you eat them it will burn less fat, so its all the same in the end.

Under extreme conditions your body will store carbs as fat. It depends on how low your overall dietary fat percentage is. De Novo Lipogenesis is as effective a pathway the more fat deficient your diet is. So your afirmation is not true.

and your body always uses a large portion of the protein you eat for energy, but there isn't relaly anything you can do about it and its assumed in protein needed formulas anyway.

The body does use up to 58% of the carbon skeletons of aminoacids as energy (process known as deamination), producing glucose or ketones depending on whether it's a glucogenic or ketogenic aminoacid. But, it does so AFTER it removed the nitrogen portion of the said aminoacid. So what you should be saying is that the body recycles the remaining carbon skeleton and uses it for energy.
    Last edited by restless; 04-27-2004 at 02:49 PM.

heading to 195
    i don't know what to believe anymore, but the nutrition book i'm reading says that normal adults shouldn't take more than 1.6 g / 1 kg of bodyweight, which is twice the RDA set.

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by snow
    i don't know what to believe anymore, but the nutrition book i'm reading says that normal adults shouldn't take more than 1.6 g / 1 kg of bodyweight, which is twice the RDA set.
    quit bringing this into other threads

Gen_chat worst nightmare

A bodybuilder or any athlete is probably not one of those (normal adults, whatever that is).

:withstupi
    Quote Originally Posted by restless
    A bodybuilder or any athlete is probably not one of those (normal adults, whatever that is).
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20

MY PICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

heading to 195
    Quote Originally Posted by latinomasfino
    :withstupi
    a bodybuilder or athlete is not supposed to take more than 1.6 g / 1kg, according to my book, and other internet sites i've seen.

not to mention, 450g of protein = 1800 calories, so i highly doubt this guy is getting his recommended ratio of 10-15% protein, 30% fat, and 60% carbs.

unless his diet is 10,000 plus cals.
    Last edited by snow; 04-27-2004 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by restless
    you're right and i should have been more clear. to clarify i was just addressing the situation referred to, a low-carb diet.

Do that voodoo that he do
    a bodybuilder or athlete is not supposed to take more than 1.6 g / 1kg, according to my book, and other internet sites i've seen.

not to mention, 450g of protein = 1800 calories, so i highly doubt this guy is getting his recommended ratio of 10-15% protein, 30% fat, and 60% carbs.

Why does he need 60% carbs? He's not going through long, glycolic-based practices. 60% carbs for sedentary individuals, as the food pyramid and other useless protocols recommend is also a useless guide.

What he's doing is intentionally using protein as an energy source. This allows him to consume more food, cover his amino acid need bases, and enjoy a higher thermic response to food intake. He's using protein to make very expensive (metabolically) blood sugar.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

What you're assuming is that the only thing one adjusts in diet is calories. The truth is that depending on your goals those ratios will change. Diets higher in proteins, as Borris pointed out, favor a thermic response. I am a firm believer in adjusting your diet and macronutrient ratios to your dietary goals. My intake has varied from 100g daily to 350g.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I think 450g for almost anyone is a bit excessive.

We at AtLarge typically recommend 2g per kg of bodyweight (or just a bit less than 1g per pound). We think this will provide a hard training individual all the protein he/she needs to maximize their results in the gym.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

but i guess if [note the if]the chap in question has some chemical assistance, more protein could be absorbed than the average trainer. Sorry my knowledge of androgens is severly limited so that's a total guess.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code