The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

incline db for 5 x 5?

Does anyone do incline bench with DBs for their main chest exercise in a 5X5 routine? How would you increase the weight every workout? 5lbs for DBs seems like a lot...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i use 4x8...

if i do incline db bench i start out with flat bb bench... and if i do flat db bench i start out with incline bb bench...

i normally do everything for 4 sets of 6-8... thats what works for me.. everyones different... ive tried the hypertophy training @ 10-12 reps and it dont work for me.. i get bigger off heavier weight and semi-hi reps

as far as what weights to choose.. i would choose it by how you did you're last set. if you feel that you hit your limit on the last set pretty easy...go up. if it was difficult stay the same cuz its just gonna get more difficult
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Wannabebig Member
    Isn't hypertrophy supposed to be 8-12 reps?

trekzak
    Quote Originally Posted by bgflpydnky
    Does anyone do incline bench with DBs for their main chest exercise in a 5X5 routine? How would you increase the weight every workout? 5lbs for DBs seems like a lot...
    5lbs is definitely too much when you're using dumbells, just add 2lbs and try again. Remember that it's not necessary to add weight every week, just add weight when you are able to really do 5x5, but you probably know that

greetz,
    Ron
    I'm gonna be a HUGE mofo!

Check out my trainingslog: click here

Banned
    If it's strength your looking for, you need to go about the 5x5 training a different way.

Let's say you can incline press 95lb DB's for 5 reps. This is what you should do for next week:

Week 1
    Incline press
    55x5
    60x5
    65x5
    70x5
    75x5

Week 2
    60x5
    65x5
    70x5
    75x5
    80x5

Week 3
    65x5
    70x5
    75x5
    80x5
    85x5

Week 4
    70x5
    75x5
    80x5
    85x5
    90x5

Week 5
    75x5
    80x5
    85x5
    90x5
    95x5

Week 6
    80x5
    85x5
    90x5
    95x5
    100x5

If week 6 seem's like the most you can do, drop the weight back down and start over again. You will gain strength on every new training cycle.

You can't keep hitting the 95's every week and expect to finally break through to the 100's. If your an intermediate or advanced lifter, it won't happen. You can actually get weaker.

This is true for all exercises. You need to cycle your training to get stronger.
    Last edited by DontGiveUp; 04-28-2004 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Miss typed a critical word!!!!!!!!!!!