The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Advice on Improving Arms

I have always felt as if my arms are out of proportion to my body - and now it really seems to show. As for fully flexed measurements, my quads are around 26 inches, chest is around 43-44, but my lousy arms are 15" even... I dedicate one full a day a week to arms with 12 sets of each bicep/tri/forearm on a heavy bulkign diet - they just don't seem to grow that much. I have been lifting for 3 years now and my first 2 years they grew tremendously from 12 to 14.2-14.5 but the past year I have barely put on half an inch which I fear is all fat. What can I do to blast my arms? I weigh approx. 195 at 12-15% bodyfat..

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If I'm reading it right, your doing 12 sets for each arm excercise? If so man thats way to much, your bicep is a small muscle 2-3 sets 8-12 reps is fine for each arm excercise your doing,you may be over doing it. What kind of routine do you have for your arms?
    Current: 5'8 165lbs

I'd suggest cutting the volume to 8-10 (HEAVY) sets each for bi and tri, and maybe 6-8 sets for forearm work.

You're just hitting a plateau. It happens. I'm sure they've grown in the past year, just not as much as the rest of your body. Keep eating and gaining weight, and I promise they'll get bigger.

How long have you had a day dedicated to arms? I think you'd benefit by taking out direct arm work, just for a month or so.

P.S. I'll trade my 16" arms for your 44" chest any day.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee