The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Weightlifting for Kids

I work often and my son watches with amazement. My son (10 years old) has been wanting to lift weights but I've always discouraged him from lifting weights so young encouraging that he do calisthenics instead. I have heard that weightlifting at an early age can stunt growth. Does anyone know the truth about this? Also, what is a good age to begin a weightlifting program?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

my gym has a 16 year old limit, i think because when your so young, your body hasnt developed enough to cope with lifting, i asked someone and they said u can damage yourself at an early age
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Idling
    Not to mention younger people (below 16) tend to have less responsibility and could very easily hurt themselves not knowing how to properly lift. They see other people doing it so they figure they can do the same weight and thats when **** happens

I do believe if you properly teach someone at a young age how to lift weights then it wouldn't be that bad, but most gym's do not want to take responsibility for young lifters hurting themselves.

Since I there is no conclusive evidence that IT DOES NOT affect, I think when I have children I would also discorage any weight lifting when young, too much at stake if the ones who say is ok ... are wrong I figure once they get older then they will have plenty of time to workout...

have you ever meet a 16 year old kid that is ripped and also taller.... ?? All the ones I know were shorter than me, and I am 5.8 ... ...
    Now that maybe because since they are shorter genetically they can put up mass faster and have less body frame to fill..... but the the dubts are still there.
    Last edited by wleon; 04-28-2004 at 09:08 AM.

You can still show him the basics, and teach him about proper nutrition without getting him to deadlift 3x his bodyweight.

Soviet studies on squatting by kids showed no stunting of growth, but still with what is at stake it is best to be cautious.

EDIT: Richard Sandrak, Little Hercules
    Last edited by TheGimp; 04-28-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    That is nuts

Have him do a lot of BW exercises first just to build up some basic strength, such as pullups, pushups, and situps. When he gets fairly strong at these, then introduce him to weightlifting. I think it'd be just fine for him to start lifting. My school starts the students lifting at 12 years old. Oh, and weightlifting does NOT stunt growth, thats a dumb myth.

Yes it doesn't. I've read stuff about the Bigger Faster Stronger program I'm on. THey've put like 9-10 year old girl gymnists on it...there was one girl who was like 90 lb's and could clean about 50+lb's over her weight.

so in conclusion, as long as the lifts are being performed correctly, there should be no problem with kids working out at a young age. (Although if your son plays sports, he can probably move straight to lifting weights and not really have to do the bw exercises, since he should be pretty fit)
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

There is some talk about lifting too early closing your growth plates. I've read about it here but don't reacall the specific thread. Maybe do a search on growth plates.

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    Yes it doesn't. I've read stuff about the Bigger Faster Stronger program I'm on. THey've put like 9-10 year old girl gymnists on it...there was one girl who was like 90 lb's and could clean about 50+lb's over her weight.

so in conclusion, as long as the lifts are being performed correctly, there should be no problem with kids working out at a young age. (Although if your son plays sports, he can probably move straight to lifting weights and not really have to do the bw exercises, since he should be pretty fit)
    Anyone who starts lifting makes a lot of mistakes unless they have a personal trainer next to them at all times. These mistakes can stunt your growth for good.

There have been mixed results with everyone. We don't have confirmation that it's safe to start lifting at a young age. Hell, I started when I was 18 (i'm 23 now) and I was with a friend who had been lifting for four years then, and I still effed up a lot.

I say NO. Not until he's at least 16. I recommend 18.

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by wleon
    Since I there is no conclusive evidence that IT DOES NOT affect, I think when I have children I would also discorage any weight lifting when young, too much at stake if the ones who say is ok ... are wrong I figure once they get older then they will have plenty of time to workout...

have you ever meet a 16 year old kid that is ripped and also taller.... ?? All the ones I know were shorter than me, and I am 5.8 ... ...
    Now that maybe because since they are shorter genetically they can put up mass faster and have less body frame to fill..... but the the dubts are still there.
    As far as I've read according to many study, it does not affect growth whatsoever and actually it is very beneificial to lift weights regardless of age. I.e., a 10 year old or a 90 year old.

As long as you teach them proper form and use light weights you'll be fine, imo.

MilliVanilli
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Anyone who starts lifting makes a lot of mistakes unless they have a personal trainer next to them at all times. These mistakes can stunt your growth for good.

There have been mixed results with everyone. We don't have confirmation that it's safe to start lifting at a young age. Hell, I started when I was 18 (i'm 23 now) and I was with a friend who had been lifting for four years then, and I still effed up a lot.

I say NO. Not until he's at least 16. I recommend 18.

Its not a problem unless you break a growth plate and I don't foresee that happeneing if they're being supervised.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    I surely will not want my kid to look like that .. he looks deformed... now if my kid is 20 oh sure
    Last edited by wleon; 04-28-2004 at 11:35 PM.

My suggestion:

Sports. GPP. Get your kid out running around and playing games (soccer, tennis, football, tag, whatever). If you really want to get him involved with you, I would stay well under his limits for now.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by ianack4life
    Its not a problem unless you break a growth plate and I don't foresee that happeneing if they're being supervised.
    I don't know where the growth plate is but pressure and damage to the spine and legs will prevent maximal growth. Not only is it common sense, but there have been many articles on it. It was about how the books kids have to wear on their backpacks are too much strain on their back.

True story. I used to go to church that had a family I was pretty close with. The dad is 6'. He has four kids - three sons, one daughter. The firstborn is 5'10. Second born is like 5'4 or 5'5. Third born is over 6'. The daughter's the youngest and she's taller than the second born. Guess what? The second born started lifting weights when he was 15/16. He only did it for a few months, and he told me he regrets it now.

You guys can say weights had nothing to do with it, and it were pure coincidence, but this isn't the first family with these results. I know a lot of friends for instance who used to be taller than me. I outgrew them as soon as they joined the football team. They just stopped growing.

If there was a drug that 80% of the people said was dangerous but the other 20% said it was perfectly fine, I wouldn't take it. As is the case right here.

MilliVanilli
    I don't know where the growth plate is but pressure and damage to the spine and legs will prevent maximal growth. Not only is it common sense, but there have been many articles on it. It was about how the books kids have to wear on their backpacks are too much strain on their back.

True story. I used to go to church that had a family I was pretty close with. The dad is 6'. He has four kids - three sons, one daughter. The firstborn is 5'10. Second born is like 5'4 or 5'5. Third born is over 6'. The daughter's the youngest and she's taller than the second born. Guess what? The second born started lifting weights when he was 15/16. He only did it for a few months, and he told me he regrets it now.

You guys can say weights had nothing to do with it, and it were pure coincidence, but this isn't the first family with these results. I know a lot of friends for instance who used to be taller than me. I outgrew them as soon as they joined the football team. They just stopped growing.

If there was a drug that 80% of the people said was dangerous but the other 20% said it was perfectly fine, I wouldn't take it. As is the case right here.

And i'm flat out telling you you're wrong about your break down there. its the general consensus of the educated medical community now a days that moderate weight lifting not only isn't dangerous but beneficial. Basically all new studies have resulted in these thoughts.

Wannabebig Member
    I dont think i would have a child do HEAVY weights before the age of 15, but i AM NO DOCTOR. I lifted for awile when i was 15 and it helped my self esteem and made me all around feel better.

Ok...I started playing football in 7th grade when I was 5'4" and about 115 lbs.

I'm now 6,0" and 165...been lifting on and off for about a year, i've grown about an inch also since last year.

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

i dont have to worry about anything. ive been 6'1" since 5th grade. thats tall enough for me.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Anyone think of legal reasons being why their is an age requirement?
    "Color outside the lines"

Wannabebig Member
    The gym i went to just required a parent to sign a release form saying if i crippled myself they were at no fault. This is when i was 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    Anyone think of legal reasons being why their is an age requirement?

For gyms? Probably because if you're under a certain age insurance rates for the gym skyrocket.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by KeMiKaL
    Ok...I started playing football in 7th grade when I was 5'4" and about 115 lbs.

I'm now 6,0" and 165...been lifting on and off for about a year, i've grown about an inch also since last year.
    And how big are you now? Can you post a picture?

I have never seen anyone who was really tall and ripped at age 18.

there is a link to pictures of me in my sig.

also I'm not 18, and I dont consider 6'0 to be really tall lol.

I think it's more average, at least at my school

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread

I have never seen anyone who was really tall and ripped at age 18.
    Go look at BCC's journal. He's 18 and has been lifting for a few years. He's not overly tall but he average or taller.(5'11 i think)
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style