The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your ideal gym

Your ideal gym

What would you guys put in your ideal gym? What would it offer that your current gym doesn't? I'm not only talking about equipment here, although you can list that as well. Try and keep it reasonable/feasible, my friend is looking seriously into opening a gym that will offer as much as it possibly can to it's members.

Thanks for the input
    /e/s/c/a/l/a/d/e/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Some guy that follows me around and loads/unloads the plates and gives me perfect spots when needed.

Oh, and he refills my water bottle, and gets a fresh dry towel mid-workout.

Perhaps the odd golf clap after a PR would be nice, but not required.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Only foo fight man in kilt The Celt's Avatar
    The best gym I ever went to in my life was my high school's...

Concrete floors...

Dark as a dungeon cell...

Metallica on the stereo...

And more squat racks than machines...

But... if you're friend is opening up a gym, this wouldn't be good advice to follow. Just make sure it has lots of SPACE!!! A 24 Hour Fitness club I went to in Denver had machines packed in like sardines and after 4 o'clock you could get through gridlock traffic easier than you could around this gym.
    "Always find something to fuel your growth, and know that each rep brings you closer to your goal." - Tommi Thorvildsen

Beloved, gaze in thine own heart,
    The holy tree is blooming there.
    -- W. B. Yeats

Ná nocht d'fhiacla go bhféadfair an greim do bhreith.
    - An old Celtic proverb.

Lots of room, seperate rooms for cybex, cardio, iron, i hate when its like one big warehouse where everything is just put into a corner. If i want to hit the iron i want different music and i dont need to hear the ladies chatting while on the treadmill. Seperate rooms!

1) lots of room.
    2) decent and clean equipment, weights, etc.
    3) enough equipment so no long waits
    4) a water fountain with good tasting water
    5) enough people to ask for a spot
    6) good music

that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Some guy that follows me around and loads/unloads the plates and gives me perfect spots when needed.

Oh, and he refills my water bottle, and gets a fresh dry towel mid-workout.

Perhaps the odd golf clap after a PR would be nice, but not required.
    I like this idea too. Maybe have him dressed up in a butler style suit? Yeah.. that'd do it for me.

Anyways, large enough space to move around between equipment. Row of squat racks/powercages. I hate it when you've got them tossed all over the places. Should have some sort of flow (like benches in one area, cardio in another). Machines seperate from free weights. Plenty of free weights.

Seperate rooms is nice, but not necessary. Dungeon style will appeal to people like us (serious lifters) but will probably not cut it for the average fitness person.

I like the concept of weight room having it's own music system, cause cardio bunnies and lifters normally care for different styles.
    LaLa

Quote Originally Posted by Escalade
    What would you guys put in your ideal gym? What would it offer that your current gym doesn't? I'm not only talking about equipment here, although you can list that as well. Try and keep it reasonable/feasible, my friend is looking seriously into opening a gym that will offer as much as it possibly can to it's members.

Thanks for the input
    who is your target audience?

My favorites have been:
    • Saftey Squat machines

• Hydraulic interval machines

• Trainers that don't scream to encourage their clients (annoying everyone else)

• To be able to use chaulk and have it in tubs around the gym

• Coed Sauna/hot tub to relax and keep me coming back

• Free gym clothes washing service

• Dry cleaning service

• anything but chic music and top 40

• receptionists that learn members names
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 04-29-2004 at 08:45 AM.

Man, My ideal gym would look like a rap video. I'd have hottys in one corner, Another corner lookin like a V.I.P lounge with the booth lined w/Gucci,With peeps pourin out Crys on the floor and sayin "Damn AllUp, that lift was just Straight Gangsta!", Good music, and as ElP posted... A weight caddie

Just Kidding.
    In all seriousness I would have to my ideal gym would have to consist of the following:
    -up to date equipment
    -great music
    -good people
    -eye candy
    Last edited by AllUp; 04-29-2004 at 08:32 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Banned
    - lots of space
    - well ventilated/airconditioned
    - mirrors on every wall
    - at least two of every piece of equipment for hammerstrength, polaris and other 'machines' frm leg presses to ab crunchers; a good rule of thumb is at least 2-3 types of machine for any given body part
    - at least 2 assisted dip/chin stations
    - at least 5 benches, 2 decline and 2 incline benches
    - at least 3 cages
    - at least 5 power racks
    - well organized dumbbell racks with clearly marked slots for each weight with 2-3 pairs of most weights from 5lbs to 150lbs and an utterly draconian policy that expels (or alternatively castrates) members that put the DBs back in improper slots
    - water fountains regularly spaced throughout the place
    - separate, soundproofed rooms for spin classes/aerobics/etc. I don't want to have to listen to soccer moms sweatin' to Britney and Moby while I'm trying to lift
    - a voting system tied to member cards at club entry to choose the genre of music that will be played (metal/rock/techno/whatever as the categories), and in any case the house music is kept at a lowish volume so that those that don't want to hear it can wear headphones and not HAVE to hear it; when you leave the club, your vote comes off...
    - well rubberized floor matting so real lifters can deadlift and drop the weight without freaking out the soccer moms and corporate wanks
    - large, clean, well ventilated locker rooms with large lockers that include hangers so you can avoid wrinkling your suits
    - large, clean saunas off the shower rooms
    - large plasma TVs with local FM broadcast for sound in front of a large cardio area that includes stairmasters, treadmills, ergometers, recumbent bikes, regular bikes, stepmills, and a couple of odd and different machines for flavour
    - ensure that approachable, competent pro bodybuilders and fitness competitors are members in the gym; give them free membership? and spiff them or pay them to ensure they're available to inspire and occasionally chat with 'regular' members
    - a juice/protein bar that sells a range of protein drinks (including Nitrean!!!) at cost (not designed to be a profit centre, just a convenience for members)
    - onsite chiropractic, massage therapy, nutritionist (co-locate with a spa?)
    - onsite tanning beds at competitive prices
    - a secret 'hottie' discount. fit, attractive women are to be encouraged to be members by discounting their membership up to 50%. they are an inspiration for both men and women alike (ok, that last one's mostly a joke)

Banned
    note: my home gym in Barrie offers the majority of what I have listed above especially in terms of equipment, etc.... it is one of the best equipped and designed gyms I've ever lifted in

now if only they could work in that hottie discount...

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    - ensure that approachable, competent pro bodybuilders and fitness competitors are members in the gym; give them free membership? and spiff them or pay them to ensure they're available to inspire and occasionally chat with 'regular' members

- a secret 'hottie' discount. fit, attractive women are to be encouraged to be members by discounting their membership up to 50%. they are an inspiration for both men and women alike (ok, that last one's mostly a joke)
    ROFL Great ideas.

This bud's for you Mr. Ultimate-Gym inventor. :o
    Last edited by AllUp; 04-29-2004 at 08:39 AM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

- separate, soundproofed rooms for spin classes/aerobics/etc. I don't want to have to listen to soccer moms sweatin' to Britney and Moby while I'm trying to lift
    this is critical
    its a make or break for me when I go look at new gyms...
    if its playing crappy music I'm out the door...

the last gym I was at played "How much is that doggy in the window..."
    I didn't even know that song was actually sung by anyone professionaly...
    anyway...that was the last day they saw me...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    this is critical
    its a make or break for me when I go look at new gyms...
    if its playing crappy music I'm out the door...

the last gym I was at played "How much is that doggy in the window..."
    I didn't even know that song was actually sung by anyone professionaly...
    anyway...that was the last day they saw me...
    ROFL. Sounds like a nightmare to me...
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia

• Free gym clothes washing service

• Dry cleaning service
    Those two are great ideas. Something that makes members feel like they can get some regular services done while working out.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

I don't think any of us qualify as soccer moms or fitness bunnies though.

(thank god)

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    My ideal gym would have a lot of nice looking ladies attending my every need, and commenting on how muscular/strong I am.

Banned
    - lots of space
    - well ventilated/airconditioned
    - mirrors on every wall
    - at least two of every piece of equipment for hammerstrength, polaris and other 'machines' frm leg presses to ab crunchers; a good rule of thumb is at least 2-3 types of machine for any given body part
    - at least 2 assisted dip/chin stations
    - at least 5 benches, 2 decline and 2 incline benches
    - at least 3 cages
    - at least 5 power racks
    - well organized dumbbell racks with clearly marked slots for each weight with 2-3 pairs of most weights from 5lbs to 150lbs and an utterly draconian policy that expels (or alternatively castrates) members that put the DBs back in improper slots
    - water fountains regularly spaced throughout the place
    - a voting system tied to member cards at club entry to choose the genre of music that will be played (metal/rock/techno/whatever as the categories), and in any case the house music is kept at a lowish volume so that those that don't want to hear it can wear headphones and not HAVE to hear it; when you leave the club, your vote comes off...
    - well rubberized floor matting so real lifters can deadlift and drop the weight without freaking out the soccer moms and corporate wanks
    - large, clean, well ventilated locker rooms with large lockers that include hangers so you can avoid wrinkling your suits
    - large, clean saunas off the shower rooms
    - large plasma TVs with local FM broadcast for sound in front of a large cardio area that includes stairmasters, treadmills, ergometers, recumbent bikes, regular bikes, stepmills, and a couple of odd and different machines for flavour
    - a juice/protein bar that sells a range of protein drinks (including Nitrean!!!) at cost (not designed to be a profit centre, just a convenience for members)
    - onsite chiropractic, massage therapy, nutritionist (co-locate with a spa?)
    - onsite tanning beds at competitive prices

wow.

Great ideas guys. I'm printing this thread out and giving it to him, I guess he'll work out what can be done and what can't..

Keep adding!
    /e/s/c/a/l/a/d/e/

oh! add platemates to the list!!!

if you have metal db's then platemates are a must (magnetic db attachments in .25, .5, .75, 1.25 lb increments)

My ideal gym would have 2 of each machine; one with a weight stack, and one plate loaded. The stack and plate loaded machines would be in two different areas.

There'd be a big area dedicated to olympic benches, squat racks, olympic military press benches and power racks.

The dumbells would be rubber Ivanko's on two racks against the wall that meet in the corner at a 45 degree angle. There would be 2 preacher curl benches, and plenty of adjustable benches.

There'd be atleast 2 assisted dip/pullup machines, and atleast 2 free pullup stations.

The equipment would be lighter green or black.

My ideal gym is a hole in the wall gym. No machines, just maybe a few cardio machines and a rowing machine. Chalk everywhere. Tons of freeweights. People who actually deadlift and squat for real. Basically, I want a hardcore gym

My ideal gym would be free

No really...

My ideal gym would have plenty of fans, and a GNC or other nutrition store in it, in addition to the other things people mentioned above.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Thats actually a good idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AllUp
    -eye candy
    I'm glad someone mentioned the most important factor. Everything else is really quite secondary.

Half the large room with free weights, the other half with machines (to draw all the idiots into 1 corner)
    Brightly lit
    Db's that go past 55's (it's what I deal with)
    Plenty of equipment for many people.
    NO smith machine
    Encouraging slogans and sayings on teh walls
    Open 24/7
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits