The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Skinny Fat John0101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Boston Townie
    Posts
    1,462

    Clean Bulk Vs Dirty Bulk

    In my previous bulk I did not eat clean. I was eating chips, pizza, cookies, etc. trying to pack in the calories. Does a clean bulk really have that much of an effect on BF levels during a bulk? Since there is no grantee that the extra weight will turn into muscle or fat.

    What are your personal experiences with a clean bulk verus a dirty bulk?

    Thanks in advance.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.


  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3,028
    I've never officially bulked but I plan to after I'm done with this cut. I would think a slow bulk would be best. Slowly increase the calories until you are gaining strength and/or size, then when the strength and/or size gains stop, increase them again. I dunno after all the hard work cutting I'm gonna take it really slow and slowly add the muscle, no need to rush, especially if you are content at your bf level which you should be since you are done cutting. In fact, after this cut I might eat maintenence for a month just to see how my body reacts, gonna take it reaaaaal slow. I think this is the best method. Goodluck.

    Edit: If a dirty bulk is stuffing my face with fast food, then yea I've done that, and I got fat lol
    Last edited by Dedicated; 04-28-2004 at 06:48 PM.

  4. #3
    On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,600
    dont know, I found this site before I had a chance to do a dirty bulk.....

    so I was clean all the way from 174 - 223, started out at 6.7% BF and ended up 18.4% BF

    I think someone with a high metabolic rate could do alright with a dirty bulk, everyone is different. some people eat sh!t and get big with low BF. for myself, I am staying clean.....and eat dirty once a week
    My Journal
    Progress Pic


    1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

    Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

    Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

    FOOD is my drug of choice

  5. #4
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    I've tried both. I did much better on a 'dirty' bulk, where I essentially ate anything I wanted.

    Keep in mind a couple of things:

    Protein is king. Make getting your protein your first priority.
    Eat your veggies and fruits.
    Eat fiber

    What tends to happen (at least to me) is that by eating fruits and veggies and getting my fiber, I really don't WANT to eat pizza every day.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  6. #5
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    I did a 'dirty' bulk and lets say I probably put on more fat then I did muscle, I have been on a clean bulk for about 7 weeks now and I must say the results are quite the opposite.

  7. #6
    En botella whey! Max-Mex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dorchester, MA
    Posts
    4,808
    I did a mixture this cycle and it had mixed results I got stronger for sure, but I'm not liking the fat increase. Maybe next year when I bulk again, I'll try to stick to a clean bulk.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal


    PB's&Goals

    Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    White Rock, B.C.
    Posts
    3,664
    I think it depends entirely on bodytype. Endos pretty much have to do clean bulks if they want to stay looking respectable, ectos can get away with a lot more crap. This is just what I've noticed by watching myself and friends.

  9. #8
    Mostly healed up! PizDoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    TO, Canada
    Posts
    2,864
    "I did a 'dirty' bulk and lets say I probably put on more fat then I did muscle, "

    I agree....I'd rather the slower clean bulk keeping lower BF than a dirty bulk like I've done.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    I've tried both. I did much better on a 'dirty' bulk, where I essentially ate anything I wanted.

    Keep in mind a couple of things:

    Protein is king. Make getting your protein your first priority.
    Eat your veggies and fruits.
    Eat fiber

    What tends to happen (at least to me) is that by eating fruits and veggies and getting my fiber, I really don't WANT to eat pizza every day.
    yeah i agree... eating your veggies and fruit with enough protein can cover up the slack for a lot of dietary mistakes/cheats.

  11. #10
    trekzak
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    260
    And how much Kcal's do you eat above maintenance when bulking clean?

    greetz,
    Ron
    I'm gonna be a HUGE mofo!

    Check out my trainingslog: click here

  12. #11
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    as mch as you want

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    11,341
    I just finished a 'dirty' bulk and I have to say I made better gains that I'd ever expected. I definitely gained BF but also gained size and strength as I shot up from 215-234 from mid-January to mid-April... that's 20lbs in 3 months.

    Paul makes very salient comments. I was only religious about getting enough protein and a minimum level of calories daily on the bulk, other than that the diet varied widely. I found that I felt and performed much better when I did eat 'cleaner' foods and I didn't usually enjoy the 'cheat' foods that much. That said I didn't hold back. Cheesecake, Ice Cream, cookie dough right from the tube, you name it, I ate it.

    I also don't know if it's just me but when gaining weight that fast it seemed mostly localized around my 'prime' fat areas... waist area and glutes. At 234lbs I still had vascularity showing on my shoulders and arms, and cuts on my legs and upper body. Its just my midsection that went to ****.

    All that said, i'm going to cut down from here to sub 10% in however long it takes on a slow, controlled cut. I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut.
    Last edited by Relentless; 05-03-2004 at 08:13 AM.

  14. #13
    back at it Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut.
    That would be amazing if you did in that time, Cal. Good luck!

    D 435 / S 340 / B 305

    Journal

    "I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

    "OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

    "Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

  15. #14
    Wannabebig New Member HahnB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    0
    I kind of do a mix of the two. I don't eat all "dirty" foods but I don't eat all clean either. It's hard to get 4000 cals a day eating chicken breats and rice.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

    Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

  16. #15
    y0 aidano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    I just finished a 'dirty' bulk and I have to say I made better gains that I'd ever expected. I definitely gained BF but also gained size and strength as I shot up from 215-234 from mid-January to mid-April... that's 20lbs in 3 months.

    Paul makes very salient comments. I was only religious about getting enough protein and a minimum level of calories daily on the bulk, other than that the diet varied widely. I found that I felt and performed much better when I did eat 'cleaner' foods and I didn't usually enjoy the 'cheat' foods that much. That said I didn't hold back. Cheesecake, Ice Cream, cookie dough right from the tube, you name it, I ate it.

    I also don't know if it's just me but when gaining weight that fast it seemed mostly localized around my 'prime' fat areas... waist area and glutes. At 234lbs I still had vascularity showing on my shoulders and arms, and cuts on my legs and upper body. Its just my midsection that went to ****.

    All that said, i'm going to cut down from here to sub 10% in however long it takes on a slow, controlled cut. I expect to get there sometime in July or so. I'm already down to 226 after 2.5 weeks but then I always lose lots at the start of a cut.

    I agree..I make sure I get enough protein and split it over 6 meals a day. Apart from that I don't get too religious about what I eat, just not too much fast food. I've gained 7 or 8 pounds in the last month and some of that has been fat (mostly around the waist), but the muscle gains are very evident so I'm not worried about the fat.

    I just enjoy life better when I'm not too strict on my bulks. I think it comes down to whether or not you can cope with dramatic muscle AND fat gains at the same time.

    People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

  17. #16
    Hot as FCUK Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    0
    Any bulk for me adds a ton of body fat as I just have a terrible metabolism. However, eating clean makes me feel better in general so I do like to do it that way. If i am busy and time is an issue I tend to bulk dirty though. Hence, my current fat ass state.

  18. #17
    is numero uno Saint Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6,557
    Another vote for clean bulking
    Age:30
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough
    ______________________

    “Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

  19. #18
    Senior Member Ebu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Syracuse, New York
    Posts
    473
    Clean bulking. With a lot of the "dirty bulk" foods, it's just empty calories. But, with bulking in general, you don't feel so bad cheating.
    "Color outside the lines"

  20. #19
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    70
    The only dirty foods I eat when bulking is Prolab's N-Large. I have half a serving which is 40+g of distgustingly, dirty carbs. If I wasn't an ecto I'm sure I'd put on more fat. I have it with skim milk, so it's an easy way to grab 65+g of carb and 45g of protein.

  21. #20
    Grasshoppa
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by crussow
    Any bulk for me adds a ton of body fat as I just have a terrible metabolism. However, eating clean makes me feel better in general so I do like to do it that way. If i am busy and time is an issue I tend to bulk dirty though. Hence, my current fat ass state.
    Lower your calories a bit then.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •