Thread: Improving my deadlift

Improving my deadlift

Today I maxed on deads after not maxing for quite a while. I noticed that with the heavier weight the problem was to start pulling the bar off the floor. Once tha bar started moving it wasn't too hard to go all the way up and lock it out.

What would be a good way to streghten that weakness?
    Last edited by EdgarMex; 04-29-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Are you doing SLDL or are you bending your legs?

I bend my legs, at the start position my hips are a bit higher than parallel
    Edgar V.

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I'm confused about what you think your weakness is ... either way ....

Weak off the floor, do platform pulls. Load up the bar, stand on a 3-4" box and pull. They are hard.

Weak lockout, do rack pulls. Set up the power rack so the bar is just below knee level and pull. You can usually use a lot more weight on these.

I think it's a good idea to rotate all 3 types of deads (normal, platform pull, rack pull).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Lockout is fine, problem is off the floor, so I'll try the platform pulls, I'll just have to build the box since I workout at home.

About rotating the 3 types of deads, how do you go about it? do you do one type for a few weeks and then switch to another type for another few weeks or do you do one type this week, don another next week and then change it on the third week again?
    Edgar V.

Trial and error. If you feel you can increase your 1RM the following week with the same exercise, give it a shot. One of the things westside promotes is changing the exercise when you plateau, but using a new exercise that is similar. Depending on your level of training, you may progress for many weeks (novice) or you may only progress 1-2 weeks in a row with the same exercise (intermediate/advanced). It's not exact, but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

My suggestion, and take this with a grain of salt - I'm not an expert, is to start with platform pulls until you hit a plateau. Then switch to normal and do the same thing. Then rack pulls. After this, you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Cool, thanks for the advice.
    Edgar V.