The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Stupid ?..but can you die from a bench press?

lets say your benching and you lose control and the bar hits your chest(almost did that the other day, scared the **** out of me) would that impact be enough to kill you? assuming that its around at least 160 lbs on the bar

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if u get stuck with no spotter and theres too much weight you can break some ribs and possibly puncture internal organs which would kill you.. if you hit hard enuff but not get stuck i dont think u'd die it would just hurt like hell and you'd probably break a rib or two..

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Neollagnailati
    I suppose if the weight is heavy enough, then you could break rips dropping it or be unable to breathe if you get stuck under it. It's a scary thought; just check out the thread in powerlifting that was up a few months ago that had a video of painful looking bloopers.

I wannabebig!
    there have been known instances where the bench press had caused a fatality due to the bar dropping on the person.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah um the bar shouldn't be hitting your chest that hard dude, you are supposed to NOT bounce it off your chest, but bring it down and up in a CONTROLLED manner, or else you might crack your sternum or something ridiculous like that and that would suck!

this kid in high school broke his jaw with only 95lbs on bench... he thought it was racked and let go....SMACK****

had his jaw wired for 3 months. sucked to be him!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I think most deaths involving bench press have been where the bar falls on the neck, not the chest.

When I was in high school, one of my good friend's mother died from a bench press accident, by benching alone in her basement.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 04-30-2004 at 08:56 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Once my spotter wasnt watching, and 150 pounds just went laying on my chest. You dont feel it really at all. With something around 150 pounds, unless it falls FAST or is on yourn eck, you should be fine. But if your going for 275 or something, I guess there is a chance of injury.

Death can occur if it rests on your neck. Even with 95 pounds. If it falls with a force, you can die instantly.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, its very very very very very rare that someone dies while benching.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

You can die from weight falling on you at any angle. If you can't find a spotter, give DB bench a shot.

Of course you could die. A pretzel almost killed the president...
    "Color outside the lines"

Beast in Training
    You can die when you sleep....

And Now off to bed! pleasant dreams.

IMO, dieing from the bar falling on the chest is unlikely unless you drop it from the highest point possible and it's a lot of weight. If you've ever done research on old torture techniques you'd find that some European tortures would put weight on the chest of their victims. Many times the person would go to about half a ton before dieing of a collapsed rib cage (these were people of the renisanse (spelling?) and up untill about the 1800's, no power lifters mind you). Dropping it on the neck or head would cause very serious injury or death though...................

I read an article in my newspaper a couple years ago of a guy getting strangled to death while benching by the bar falling on him.

If your working out by yourself know your limitations. Don't go for max's, keep it 4-6 reps and you should be cool. Also if you are in a situation when you can't get it back up, just tilt the bar so the weights slide off.

Yes it can kill you, but try this. Next time u bench dont use the bar clamps on the sides so that if it does fall on your chest you can just push one side up and let the weights fall off one side and then fall off the other end. I did this once a year back when I thought I could bench 160.

About 12 people are killed by weight lifting every year in the US. Almost all of these cases are people benching without a spotter. In most cases people are found strangled by the bar. However, the bar falling on your chest can cause your heart to stop even if it is only the 45lbs bar. This is very very rare but a blunt trauma to the chest can stop your heart. Statistically you are at greater risk riding in your car but you should still use a rack or a spotter to lessen your risk of death or injury.
    Happy benching.

3:16
    if trianing alone.
    Do not bother will collars. so if you can;t get the bar up you can at least tilt it to one side to let the discs fall off.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    if trianing alone.
    Do not bother will collars. so if you can;t get the bar up you can at least tilt it to one side to let the discs fall off.
    :withstupi

Beast in Training
    On a simlar topic, of al lthe major sports, most people die from baseball.

Wannabebig Member
    Once on decline bench, for some fluke reason, my arms got adjusted in the wrong way. So they were closer to being in the hands over my head position, and the weight came down pretty hard. I slowed it down as much as possible but still took it off the chin. My spotter was right there to help too. Its the only accident I've ever had, but with out a spotter I would probably be dead if it got caught on my throat. Of course, without a spotter, I would not be doing that much weight.

i wouldn't worry about dropping it on my chest, just don't miss the rack and drop it on your face or neck. my friend dropped 245 on his face and came to school the next day with a black eye and a broken cheek, lucky him.

At the ripe old age of 16 I was benching in my bedroom (had a big room in the basement -- half bedroom stuff, half lifting stuff) and me, being the ox that I thought I was, was benching 275 with nobody around. I was wearing a mesh jersey and after I got the 4th rep, I decided that I was strong and was going to get number 5. Well, this was a humbling experience! I brought the weight down and after pushing it about half way back up, it started it unintended descent towards my chest. I controlled it all the way down, but then I set it on my chest and all the 275 lbs was bearing its weight on me. As a stupid, over-confident 16 year old I also had collars on the bar. I was in quite the predicament, and the only way I saw out of this situation was to roll the bar down my stomach and pat my hips so I could sit up and get myself out. This is what I did. I had no injuries from it, but I did have a very nice bruise pattern on my chest and stomach that matched the mesh jersey I was wearing.

Moral of the story: don't push past your limits without a spotter, and don't use the damn collars without a spotter.
    Big? Not really. I'm 5'7" 196 lbs.
    Strong? Like a bull!

Bodyfat currently at : dropping
    Personal Records:
    Bench - 440 (raw)
    Squat - 600 (belt & wraps)
    Deads- 585 (belt)

----------------------------------------------
    It’s a bird… It’s a plane… nope, it’s me soarin’ past everybody.

I've done the barbell roll as well. Not fun but has helped me on occasion. Anytime I'm going for some kind of max (3 or fewer reps) I try to find a spotter. Worth the hassle.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    i dropped 170 pounds on my stomach... oops... not a good experience at all..

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I did the "drop the weight each side at a time" thing once (when you have no collars).

Rolling it is a no no, maybe one day I'll want to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by supirman
    I was in quite the predicament, and the only way I saw out of this situation was to roll the bar down my stomach and pat my hips so I could sit up and get myself out.
    I did the very same thing 3 years ago but with 185lbs. The most tenuous part was rolling it over my tender abdomen (chest was fine), and then being very carefull where it was in my lap. LOL