Thread: Colon Cancer

Colon Cancer

Do you guys and gals ever worry about yoru colon, due to all that animal fat you eat? I have heard that animal fat is one of the main causes for colon caner, any credibility to this? Whats everyones thought on whey protein? I remember reading that some whey protein is not completey digested, and can lead to clotis if there is an excess build up? Do we have to worry about colon cancer?

If we have to worry about everything that cause cancer you are gonna worry your whole life. So no i don't worry about it.

unless someone as really valid proof that it is

Mystic Eric
    there have been that link various types of cancers due to high fat diets. it says so in my bio 12 text book. and the book was published last year!!!!

It has recently been found that research causes cancer in rats.

and that rats cause researchers cancer
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Mystic Eric
    tuttut

A high fibre and low-medium fat(20-30%) is proved to be the best one to prevent colon cancer.

I think you can find research out there that will say that just about anything and everything we do is a cause of cancer.

bone crusher
    the most recent study i'm aware of actually found that those who eat high fibre diet had no difference in the rates of colon cancer than those who ate a lower fibre diet.

3:16
    Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und-Technologie, September 2001, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 337-347(11)

Mälkki Y. [1]; Virtanen E. [2]

[1] Cerefi Ltd, Lyökkiniemi 24, Espoo, FIN-02160, Finland [2] Avena Oy, Kansakoulukatu 1 B, Helsinki, FIN-00100, Finland

Abstract:

In addition to the well-known effects of reducing blood cholesterol and affecting glycaemic response, dietary fibre of oat bran has been shown to have numerous other physiological effects. It delays gastric emptying, diminishes absorption of nutrients, affects the motility in the small bowel, and prolongs satiety after the meal. In the large bowel, soluble dietary fibre increases the fermentation activity, especially production of butyric acid, enhances growth and colonisation of some probiotic bacterial strains, increases production of microbial mass and thereby aids the removal of nitrogen via faeces. It also increases wet weight of stools, thereby alleviating constipation. Short-chain fatty acids formed enhance cell proliferation of the colonic mucosa. According to the present view, this reduces the risk of colon cancer. In addition to the effects of the viscosity of the intestinal contents and colon fermentation, the physiological effects are in part mediated via insulin and gastrointestinal hormone secretion. Papers documenting these effects are reviewed.

something to contridict the doc. get eating that bran

I think some things are just better left unknown.

bone crusher
    hmm, well this tells me that oat fibre has properties which "According to the present view, this reduces the risk of colon cancer" (something NOT studied in this report)-the present view being that a high fibre diet reduces colon cancer.
    Nonetheless, i did hear a report of a colon cancer study looking at the diets of those who had colon cancer and their was a similar rate for those who had a high fibre vs. lower fibre diets. THus fibre did not seem to confer any benefit in this regard

however, i agree that fibre has many benefits of consumption, not the least of which are much more pleasant dumps and i try to eat as much as i can. SO i agree with body

There are contradictory studies about the role of fiber in colon cancer, but it does seem that diets that are high in animal fats tend to increase the risk, and getting adequate vitamins and plant-bases anti-oxidants tends to decrease the risk. One important risk factor that you can't do anything about is heredity. As for whey, I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding what type of whey you eat.

3:16
    there was a long list of studies but just cut and pasted the first one.

If you are so worried about your colon go have it checked out.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

lol Marcel