Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carbless breakfast bad 4 me?

carbless breakfast bad 4 me?

Right now after 1 year of sucessful pure weighttraining i'm finally starting to change my diet and bulk w/ a lot of calories (strangely i havve more time to fix my diet now that i'm in college!). My breakfast is usually 3 eggs, or 12 fish sticks. today i ate 3 eggs and 5 strips of bacon. in fear that i'm eating a keto diet when i'm actually trying to bulk i have a glass of milk. Is eggs or fishsticks for breakfast not enuf for bulking? Are carbs necessary?
    "Pumpin ain't easy"

YES!! Carbs are necessary! You've gone for about 8 hours without eating any carbs, if you don't eat some now your workout will probly suffer. When bulking carbs are very important.

The eggs are good...but how many? As for fishsticks...ummm... yuck. They're probly kinda high in fat, I'd get rid of'em. For carbs have your milk and add half a cup of oats in there. That should do nicely. (for added taste throw some sweetner and cinnamon into the oats. )

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

i eat a carbless breakfast all the time.....morning snack too...actually i don't actually eat anything vaguely carby til about noon. but then again I'm ona pseudo keto type thing anyways...so you might not want to take my advice.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!! , eat carbs, have so Oatmeal in the morning, or maybe the less healthy english muffin. I usually throw my eggs on one of those Sandwhich Size english muffins, add a bananna and a fruit cup and your set..

It depends.

when do you train?

What is the rest of your diet like?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

*scratches head* hmmmmm...that breakfast seems familiar Manipul8r....

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

You don't need carbs with breakfast unless you train afterwards.

I eat 8 meals a day, only 4 of them contain carbs.

Answer Paul's q's.

You need carbs with your breakfast.

Originally posted by Ronan

*** Generally speaking I would say that eating carbs in the morning is a good thing. Of course everyone is different so some may find that eating carbs in the morning is not nessecary. Take myself for instance.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Well you ain't eat'n carbs anyway Maki; so your input is garbage. J/K.

Originally posted by Ronan

Why?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You have fasted for on average 8hrs while sleeping, cortisol levels are at their highest and blood glucose levels are at there lowest(besides after intense training)

Also fat storage capacity is very low first thing in the morning.

Good points there Ronan. The only reason I would see somebody not having some carbs for breakfast would be if they are doing a CKD or TKD.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Maki you take "everyone is different" waaaaay too far.

Anyhow, it depends on goals.

For fat loss, you WANT blood glucose low. Low blood glucose = high glucagon = fat burning.

I don't see why cortisol would be high in the morning as it's a stress hormone, I wouldn't exactly call sleeping stressful. hGH is released a lot during sleep and it plays a role in both anabolism and fat burning.

Even when trying to gain I think you should try to take advantage of both glucagon and insulin. Which means some meals have carbs and some don't. I've been going on about this a lot lately but it's for good reason. Separate your carbs and fat. Take advantage of both glucagon and insulin, anabolism and fat burning, etc.

If you don't eat carbs in a meal, then eat fat with that meal. I eat 8 meals/day 4 of them contain bout 40-50g of protein, 50-70g carbs of and little fat (less than 10g). Then the other 4 have 40-50g of protein, 0-10g of carbs, and 30-40g of fat.

Working pretty ace as of now, my metabolism seems to be through the roof from this...which I don't quite understand but oh well.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 10-02-2001 at 09:02 PM.

Hardcore, what else?
    I'm with Ronan, in the morning cortisol levels ARE at their highest when compared to normal activity throughout the day.

There are probably a host of factors other than stress as to why cortisol is released Cack.
    When will it be my time to shine? - me

Cacker is so right...I always separate my carbs from my fats. I got all the way to 195(LOL might not seem like much but 2 years before I was 140 something!) or so even when I had platued at around 180 something then I started separating and I felt much better. Once I'm done with this ckd I'm gonna go back to the same separating carbs from fats. Works great give it a shot.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Perhaps higher, but definately not highest. Anyway, what makes you think carbs are the only way to blunt cortisol?

Of course right now I'm not eating any carbs(except on the weekend) cuz of the ckd. And of course talk is cheap so I will post some pics once I'm done with this ckd.

Maybe cuz you havent eaten in like 8 hours?

Hardcore, what else?
    I don't think carbs are the ONLY way to blunt cortisol....they'd help though.

Just throwing some facts out there.

All food blunts cortisol.

If you ate a cow turd it would blunt cortisol.

If those are facts then provide references.

Hardcore, what else?
    Shouldn't be that hard to find this info...it came off the top of my head.

You surf the net, you do it.

That's what I thought.

Hardcore, what else?
    http://www.aeiveos.com/diet/melatoni.../94120296.html

This isn't even where I heard about cortisol levels during sleep, but this backs it up.

I'm sure I can find more.
    Last edited by degsta; 10-02-2001 at 10:18 PM.

Interesting.

Carbs are most certainly NOT the only way to blunt cortisol. Further, I'm not so sure cortisol levels will be an issue at all if you are eating enough (of anything).

I still don't see why you HAVE to eat carbs in the morning. (please note, I am not suggesting it is better to not eat them, just pointing out that this is not black/white)

BTW, I looked at that study. It backs up nothing said in this thread.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 10-03-2001 at 02:25 PM.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.