Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Cardio Pro's GET IN HERE!

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15

    Cardio Pro's GET IN HERE!

    Gonna stop the lifting for a little as I need to lose probably 30lbs in fat

    So I am thinking of just canceling my GYM,
    A. because its so damn busy I have to wait at least 10 min. for a machine or treadmill/other type.

    B. I am not going to be lifting for a little

    Here is the deal, I am going to take my damn expensive mountain bike and put some street tires on it.. I am going to alternate between walking/jogging/biking Daily everyday..

    now I am sure the walking and jogging will keep my Heartbeat at the 80% I need to be for fat burn, but what about biking? Is it pretty hard to lose weight with biking?
    Thanks all!

  2. #2
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=cutting
    The most important thing is diet, that is the key to losing weight. Also, I suggest you do lift while cutting, and doing cardio on your off days. Just read through Saint Patrick's cutting guide, most of the info needed to drop fat is in there.

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=cutting
    The most important thing is diet, that is the key to losing weight. Also, I suggest you do lift while cutting, and doing cardio on your off days. Just read through Saint Patrick's cutting guide, most of the info needed to drop fat is in there.

    I have read that a few times, and its great, but that I more intrested in just losing weight, And correct me if I am wrong

    But what would lose more weight??

    Day:1 Off or Cardio or Shoulders (optional)
    Day 2: Legs
    Day 3: Push (Chest and Triceps)
    Day 4: Off or Cardio
    Day 5: Off or Cardio
    Day 6: Pull (Back and Biceps)
    Day 7: Off or Cardio

    Or just Straight 1 hour to more a day Cardio...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hlight=cutting
    The most important thing is <A TITLE="Click for more information about <A TITLE="Click for more information about diet" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://www.prescriptions-r-us.biz/">diet</A>" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://www.prescriptions-r-us.biz/">diet</A>, that is the key to losing weight. Also, I suggest you do lift while cutting, and doing cardio on your off days. Just read through Saint Patrick's cutting guide, most of the info needed to drop fat is in there.
    Diet is overrated.

    Eat what you want, and play a highly active sport.
    Last edited by alterego; 05-26-2004 at 02:31 PM.

  5. #5
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    The type of training you do will really have a lot less of an effect on weight loss than diet. If your goal is to lose maximal fat, I suggest you follow a solid lifting routine, maybe wbb#1, say you lift mon-wed-fri, tues-thurs-sat would be perfect for doing cardio. As for cardio, I suggest you do a search for HIIT, it seems to be the popular choice around here, and I can vouch for its effects. Just get a good "cutting diet" going, start off with something like BWx12 cals per day, with a 40/35/25 macro split. Or 40% of your cals from protein, 35 from carbs, and 25 from fats. I know this is all covered in the cutting guide, and it really is the best way to lose weight. You will probably need to adjust your cals accordingly so that you're losing about 1lb per week, as this will help prevent excess muscle loss. It also may be in your best interests to get a fat-burner of some sort.

    Summary:
    Training has negligible effects on weight loss, diet is the key.

    I hope this awnsers your questions, if not, post away.

  6. #6
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Diet is overrated.

    Eat what you want, and play a highly active sport.
    Sorry, buddy....Diet is NOT over-rated.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Sorry, buddy....<A TITLE="Click for more information about diet" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://www.prescriptions-r-us.biz/">Diet</A> is NOT over-rated.
    Maybe it's not you, but there are people who remain fat just for consuming 1000 cals a day. Shocking, isn't it? I have many friends in bodybuilding who eat clean but they get fat just for consuming the daily protein requirement so they run and play sports.

  8. #8
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Maybe it's not you, but there are people who remain fat just for consuming 1000 cals a day. Shocking, isn't it?
    I have many friends in bodybuilding who eat clean but they get fat just for consuming the daily protein requirement so they run and play sports.
    no that isn't shocking. anyone could tell you that a 1000 calorie diet is less than ideal for a normal mature male and its not surprising in the least that a person could actually gain weight on such a low amount of calories.

    What your friends consider "eating clean" and what is a healthy, balanced and proportionate diet maybe two different things.

    You'll find your argument to be an uphill battle against logic if you continue it.

  9. #9
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    no that isn't shocking. anyone could tell you that a 1000 calorie diet is less than ideal for a normal mature male and its not surprising in the least that a person could actually gain weight on such a low amount of calories.

    What your friends consider "eating clean" and what is a healthy, balanced and proportionate diet maybe two different things.

    You'll find your argument to be an uphill battle against logic if you continue it.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks geoff.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffgarcia
    no that isn't shocking. anyone could tell you that a 1000 calorie <A TITLE="Click for more information about diet" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://www.prescriptions-r-us.biz/">diet</A> is less than ideal for a normal mature male and its not surprising in the least that a person could actually gain weight on such a low amount of calories.

    What your friends consider "eating clean" and what is a healthy, balanced and proportionate diet maybe two different things.

    You'll find your argument to be an uphill battle against logic if you continue it.
    Uphill battle against logic? Logic... did you just say that?

    So let's see what your definition of logic is... eating 500 cals a day just to become skinny? Um... no. That's anorexia... quite unlogical according to medical science.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    705


    This should be interesting.

    Tag.

  12. #12
    Senior Member geoffgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,445
    not it!
    I can't be bothered *LOL*

    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    So let's see what your definition of logic is... eating 500 cals a day just to become skinny? Um... no. That's anorexia... quite unlogical according to medical science.
    actually, instead of dividing the 1000/2 I'd say MULTIPLY it by 2!
    2000 calories is still to little. I'm 5'10, 200 and I'm losing about 1lb a week on a 2800 calorie per day diet. If I went down to a 1000 calorie per day diet I'd lose some muscle and some fat for 3-4 weeks then my metabolism would slow/stop, by testosterone production would stop, I'd be catabolic and have no protein that would be usable and I'd probably gain some weight...then heaven forbid I eat over 1000 for any day, that would go straight to fat...

    at 1000 calories your already in starvation mode which is why people gain weight at that level. your body starts shutting things off that it doesn't need, at 500 for a prolonged time (assuming normal male still) you'll have some big problems in a matter of weeks/months.
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 05-26-2004 at 06:50 PM.

  13. #13
    wooooo Jasonl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Posts
    547
    alterego, listen to geoff, he knows what he's talking about. The only way you MAY lose weight at 500-1000 cals per day is a VLCD(very low-calorie diet), and that really only works if you're very obese. Not only does it only work for very obese people, but it will only be effective for a VERY short amount of time, not to mention it is quire unhealthy.

    How many people do you think eat whatever they want and play sports/anaerobic or aerobic exercise and lose fat? Not many. In fact, I know several people like that, who do aerobics but refuse to change their diet.....and what do you know, THEY DON'T LOSE WEIGHT!!

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    I need to lose more weight than a pound a week..

    I would like to lose at the min. 3lbs a week.. Which should not be too hard.
    In the past I did almost no carbs, or very low carbs.. Right now I am only getting my carbs from oats in the morning, and maybe a pita rap in the afternoon, after that its almost no carbs unless from veggies...
    Anyway I want to just start biking and joging much more than just weights alone, if need be I will come up with a 2 day split a week.

  15. #15
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    Ok what do you guys think of this..

    Do 20 min. of HIIT in the morning.. And then about 40-60 min. of cardio at night ( Probably a bike ride ) And can someone tell me if its even worth it to ride a bike? Will I even beable to keep my heart lever high enough to burn fat?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    705
    3lbs of fat per week minimum? are you serious?

    Im not sure thats actually sustainable for very long at all. Most folks are lucky to lose a 1lb a week and sustain it for 8 weeks or so. If you try to do things too fast to your body it will compensate and adapt in ways you wont like one bit.

    If you try to loose too much you will be losing muscle hand over fist along with the fat. I suppose I should have qualified this at the beginning really...does losing muscle bother you? or are you just looking for weight loss as opposed to fat loss with minimal LBM loss?

    Augs

  17. #17
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    Muscle loss is not as important to me as being a fat ass I have atleast 30lbs of fat on me, and have not been very active latley.. so I think 3lbs a week would be easy for me, atleast for the first 2 or 3 months.. I need to be able to take my shirt off again And then I when I can do that I will rebuild my muscle..

  18. #18
    mmm... discipline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    I agree with Jason and Geoff. I've read (and experienced) that the best pace for any cardio workout is when you are unable to sing during it (duh) and just able to talk without gasping for air.

  19. #19
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang331
    Ok what do you guys think of this..

    Do 20 min. of HIIT in the morning.. And then about 40-60 min. of cardio at night ( Probably a bike ride ) And can someone tell me if its even worth it to ride a bike? Will I even beable to keep my heart lever high enough to burn fat?
    That's way too much.

    Also, you want to do HIIT in the afternoon after you've eaten. It burns glycogen stores or something (it's anaerobic) and works best when you've got some stored energy.

    Regular cardio is better for the morning.


    I'm only doing 1 session of HIIT a week because my shins get too sore from the impact. I do HIIT on Saturday or Sunday and my leg day is Wednesday, just to give my quads time to heal.

  20. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    15
    Ok you know what How about I just get out there and do something..

    What I would really like to know is.. If I jog 20 min. how much biking would I need to equal the same beniffit??

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •