The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

cardio for someone over 40

Hi, what would be the ideal type of cardio for someone looking to lose weight and is over 40? I have tried sprinting intervals, however, it seems to place too much stress on my knees. Is working on the treadmill using 5 degree incline to 15 degree incline, alternating every minute a good way to do cardio say for 30-45 minutes?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If it hurts, don't do it.

You can do intervals on a bike, on an elliptical, etc.

If you have any heart issues or risk factors, I'd visit a doc before going crazy with it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'm 46. Lost 32 pounds last year. The only real cardio I do is exercise bike. Easy on the knees. It's in the house. I can do it any time regardless of weather, whatever. In combination with diet and weight training, you are on the right track.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I was reading an article the other day, directed at middle-aged folk who were looking to get in good shape (as in they are out of shape to begin with). It went like this:

Week 1&2 - Jog 2 mins, walk 6 mins. Do this for 32 mins.
    Week 3&4 - Jog 3 mins, walk 5 mins. Do this for 32 mins.
    Week 5&6 - Jog 4 mins, walk 4 mins. Do this for 32 mins
    Week 7&8 - Jog 5 mins, walk 3 mins. Do this for 32 mins
    Week 9&10 - Jog 6 mins, walk 2 mins. Do this for 32 mins
    Week 11&12 - Jog 7 mins, walk 1 min. Do this for 32 mins
    Week 13&14 - Jog 8 mins, walk 1 min. Do this for approx. 32 mins
    Week 15&16 - Jog 10 mins, walk 1 min. Do this for approx. 32 mins

2-3 times a week, whichever one you are comfortable with.

It kept going on, until week 24, where it was something like "Jog 16 mins, walk 1 min". The reason I had read this, was because I was late for gym class and I had to do this as an assignment. It is from some local Canadian Fitness magazine.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

*IF* you can run, I like the progressive running in KTP.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.