The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cardio

Wannabebig!

Cardio

I am currently bulking, and deciding to do cardio, so fat gains can be kept to a minimum...I workout 3 times a week and Im gonna do cardio 3 times a week on non-lifting days in the the morning..

Should I run with an empty stomach or should I consume some food (What type? How Much?) before cardio.. And I know cardio can be very catabolic..So when is da best time/methods to lessen the effect of muscle breakdown during cardio??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would eat something.

Do a search, there have been a number of threads discussing this - they should be helpful, and explain the physiological processes in detail.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig!
    I've been looking through some previous threads..and I found out that when you do cardio in the morning, your body will breakdown fat to produce energy because glycogen is at its lowest..

I deciding to consume a protein shake (no carb) when I wake up and do 30 minutes of cardio... Do you think this is ideal to minimise muscle breakdown?

I would also consume some carbs before you do cardio, just a small amount will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_Sebastiano
    Should I run with an empty stomach or should I consume some food (What type? How Much?) before cardio.. And I know cardio can be very catabolic..So when is da best time/methods to lessen the effect of muscle breakdown during cardio??
    If you want to minimize catabolism, then do not work out in the morning on an empty stomach. Protein usage as fuel is closely tied to low glycogen levels, especially liver glycogen. Working out in the morning on an empty stomach is about the worst possible conditions other than extended fasting, in terms of catabolism. After an overnight fast, your liver glycogen levels may be nearly depleted. Your muscles may have a lot of glycogen left, but your brain cannot cannot use the muscle glycogen, so there is an increased risk of the body catabolizing muscle to get fuel for the brain. The amount of this risk depends on the type of cardio among other things. Higher intensity or longer duration increases risk because there is a greater demand for glycogen. Total fat loss (not just during activity) increases with the intensity or duration of the cardio. After an overnight fast, you are likely to have reduced endurance and more fatigue so both intensity and duration may decrease. If your goal is to lose fat while preserving muscle, then doing cardio on an empty stomach or any other time when glycogen levels are low (for example immediately after weightlifting) is probably a bad idea.

If your goal is to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn fat, then the increased fat mobilization related to the low glycogen levels may be beneficial. Many bodybuilders do empty stomach type cardio in conjuction with various supplements that also increase fat mobilization. If you choose to workout in the morning, then such effects could be lessened by eating something beforehand, reducing intensity, and/or drugs/supplements.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-04-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Your body is coming off an 8 hour fast so you need to eat something to restart your metabolism. Like Jasonl said, a small amount will do it. I usually go with a small container of yogurt.