Thread: Could this powerlifting routine be done without drugs?

Only foo fight man in kilt The Celt's Avatar

Could this powerlifting routine be done without drugs?

Hey y'all... I think for the time being I'm going to focus more of my energy and attention on powerlifting and put bodybuilding on the backburner. I was doin' a little internet research when I came across this website:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...3&articleid=80

It seems like a good routine however, I question whether or not it could be too intense for someone not taking steroids. The routine does have you squatting 4 times a week which leads me to believe it may be a little too much for my "creatine & glutamine" supplementation program.

I got away with squatting 4 times a week in high school but...
    "Always find something to fuel your growth, and know that each rep brings you closer to your goal." - Tommi Thorvildsen

Beloved, gaze in thine own heart,
    The holy tree is blooming there.
    -- W. B. Yeats

Ná nocht d'fhiacla go bhféadfair an greim do bhreith.
    - An old Celtic proverb.

Banned
    I have read one of his books. His principals are on the right track, but this is a "cookie cutter" routine. There is a lot more fine tuning needed to be done.

During a program like that, you would need to reduce the number of days per week, training the same exercise. You may start with four days per week, but should reduce to 3, then 2 then 1.

This is not quit the way I would design it for someone.

I believe this was posted before and it was agreed you should pay very close attention to this line:

"You shall gain but you shall pay with sweat, blood, and vomit, Comrade."
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Only foo fight man in kilt The Celt's Avatar
    See, the thing is, I'm very frustrated with my strength right now and I personally hold that over appearance. I have no problem with working hard to acheive my goals but, I just don't wanna waste my time with something that might not only not help, but do the exact opposite and overtrain me.

I have used 5 sets of 5 in the past and even 6 sets of 4 but, I was looking to go a different route this time.
    "Always find something to fuel your growth, and know that each rep brings you closer to your goal." - Tommi Thorvildsen

Beloved, gaze in thine own heart,
    The holy tree is blooming there.
    -- W. B. Yeats

Ná nocht d'fhiacla go bhféadfair an greim do bhreith.
    - An old Celtic proverb.

You could try Westside. I find it fun, tons of variations.
    Links in my sig. for the routine basics.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Celt
    See, the thing is, I'm very frustrated with my strength right now and I personally hold that over appearance. I have no problem with working hard to acheive my goals but, I just don't wanna waste my time with something that might not only not help, but do the exact opposite and overtrain me.

I have used 5 sets of 5 in the past and even 6 sets of 4 but, I was looking to go a different route this time.
    A program based off of the 5x5 program is the best way to go for strength. You just have to know how to put it together. I make gains after every 10-14 week training cycle and so do all of my clients.

Quote Originally Posted by DontGiveUp
    A program based off of the 5x5 program is the best way to go for strength. You just have to know how to put it together. I make gains after every 10-14 week training cycle and so do all of my clients.
    Really?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yes, that routine can be done without drugs. Yes, it could be successful. You have to experiment to see how it works for YOU, and what changes, if any, you need to make.

There isn't a magic, cookie cutter routine that is 'the best'.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.