Thread: Olympic Lifting Routine?

Wannabebig Member

Olympic Lifting Routine?

Just seemed kind of slow here and not many threads about Oly lifting. There really aren't many resources out there, so I was wondering how you guys structure your oly lifting workouts. When I'm oly lifting I break mine up like:

Monday - Snatch Day
    Snatch Variations (off blocks, power snatch, hang snatch, etc)
    Snatch assistance (drop snatch, snatch high pulls, overhead shrugs, etc)

Tuesday - Jerk Day
    Jerk Variations (split jerk, push jerk)
    Jerk Assistance (jump squat, shoulder presses, 1/4 front squat, etc)

Thursday - Clean Day
    Clean Variations
    Clean Assistance (clean high pulls, front squats, etc)

Friday - Remedial Day
    Regular Benching and Back Squats
    Typical BB training

Anybody else?

Ford do you compete in oly lifts? Or just do it for fun? I guess it would be interesting to periodized an oly program, into a larger scope program, but usually I don't often see this translate into additional power in the other lifts. Sometimes I'll incorporate hang cleans into my routine but other than that haven't given it a try.

Just trying to figure out the "why" behind a full blown oly program, if you don't oly lift.

Of course, for me, every day is jerk day, as I'm a big meany. :evillaugh
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Naw. I just do it for fun every once in a while. I'll take a month here and there and focus on them just to mix things up. It's great for really nailing my posterior chain (no jokes you sick bastard), legs, and traps. I still incorporate their variations, as well as stuff like high pulls, overhead squats and the like into my normal routines though.

BTW, get yourself a girl. All your jerk days will be snatch days instead.

Pfft! I'm going to see my pet cougar tonight so ha!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Try this...

Monday- Heavy Snatch, Heavy Clean, Heavy Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, your last sat being you 5 rep max

Wednesday- Light Snatch, Light Clean, Light Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, all sets being 60% of you 5 rep max

Friday- Medium Snatch, Medium Clean, Medium Push Press, 5 sets of 5 reps, all sets being 80% of your 5 rep max

You follow this for 4 weeks than follow the same format except for 5 sets of 3 reps for 4 weeks, than after that you do the same thing except 5 sets of 2 reps but for only 3 weeks, than you max out and start over again.

Check out the journal of a member named "Blitzforce". He incorporates a great deal of Olympic work into his routine.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, Salah. Good stuff, Chris. Those online journals seem like a good resource. I'm starting one up now. I'll take a couple pics too. Check out my home gym. The only thing not seen is some 20kg and 10kg bumper plates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Bumper plates are definitely a plus for the Olympic stuff.