The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Tricept holding back Bench progress?

Hey guys,

Question...

My bench is extremly weak... and I was wondering perhaps it was due to having even weaker tricept or perhaps it's really crappy form...

my routine is normaly something like this:

Flat BB bench 3-4 sets 8-12 reps
    Incline DB press 3 sets same reps
    Flat flyes 2 sets

I workout at home, so I'm somewhat limited in having no cross over cable potential...

Although my chest is normaly sore and weak after my workout. My tricpts are always failing (especially on the DB bench) I try to hold them about 90 degrees to my body...

I've tried a wider grip for my flat BB bench, (thumbs around 1st line) It does help, but then I don't feel my chest as much...

Any ideas?

thx,

_8_Ball

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Look into incorporating close grip and board presses if you want to increase your bench.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Dips. 2 sets of 6 every other workout, first thing.

From there, where are you failing on the bench? Might just need to improve chest and tricep endurance a bit then work towards increasing the tricep strength. As big as the chest is, the tri's are more often than not the weak link. If you are failing right off the chest, the weight's too heavy. 3-4 inches off the chest and its the tri's that need work. Lockouts and rack presses as well as more heavier compound tricep intensive exercises can help things in the long run.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

do an isolation movement for your chest before you do presses...
    something like flys...then superset it into a chest press movement...

this will prefatigue your chest muscles and you should be able to get a better chest workout in.

Banned
    The way to increase your bench, is to bench! When you bench, you are working the EXACT muscles needed to bench. It doesn't get much more complicated than that. Proper prescription of weight to be used, sets and reps is the key to strength training.

5x5 is the way to go. Drop down to a moderate weight that you can fairly easily complete all 5 reps. Increase the weight by 5-10lbs. per week until you peak.

Anything more than that you'd have to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by DontGiveUp
    The way to increase your bench, is to bench!
    makes sense to me

try lower reps, negatives, forced reps, drop sets, wide grip, narrow grip, all that good stuff. have someone spot you.

good luck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    makes sense to me

try lower reps, negatives, forced reps, drop sets, wide grip, narrow grip, all that good stuff. have someone spot you.

good luck
    Actually, negatives, forced reps and drop sets are a bad idea. You don't even need to vary your grip width.

All you need to do is to properly plan out the % of 1rm, sets and reps to be used. This is the only thing you need to do. You will get stronger, Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball
    My bench is extremly weak... and I was wondering perhaps it was due to having even weaker tricept or perhaps it's really crappy form...
    Both.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310