Thread: Complicating It

Complicating It

Do you ever get the feeling that we complicate lifting? I know for myself there's been times when I've made great progress and had great routines. Then I read something and I try encorporate something new and end up trying to fix thing that aren't broken. Sometimes I've got to tell myself to stop trying to turn lifting into a science and just get into the gym and lift hard. Seems easy enough.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I hear you on that. It's tough when you read about all these tactics, etc. I think there is a part in us that says "hmmm, what if just doing that LITTLE thing does work?" I think it is also in a way good, because it helps change it up, so it's not always the same old thing, keeps it a little interesting.

BTW, haven't seen you post in a while, haha.
    "Color outside the lines"

Yes! I completely agree...

That's why I like guys like Dr. Ken, they provide reminders that lifting is simple (not to be confused with easy).

this is 4 people now. i try to keep myself from searching for lifting stuff on google, i just mess up more the more i try to remember new stuff. its pointless unless maybe you're plateauing or something.
    Last edited by biggimp; 05-04-2004 at 07:31 PM.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

it's cuz we all want to know what is "BEST".

pretty much any routine will work, but we just want to have the most cutting-edge, most scientific and most effective program, which pretty much doesn't exist.

I think having new stuff is necessary, because the body gets used to one way of working out, and the only way for progress is to change it up.
    "Color outside the lines"

"I think having new stuff is necessary, because the body gets used to one way of working out, and the only way for progress is to change it up."

Yeah, but is that mental or physical?

Usually if I go 'stale' it's b/c I've lost interest in certain exercises. Changing to a new exercise gets my motivation going again and I don't know that my physical body actually needed it.

When people say, "you have to change things up to keep progressing," what it really boils down to is fixing your weak points to add that lift. Going from flat bb bench to db bench might just be a change but in there you might be able to work on the weak points that are affecting your bench and then when you go back to it later, you'll have found that it helps.

I don't think we overcomplicate things. I think some jump in a little too fast though. I've been lifting for close to 10 years. After a while you have to keep making small minute changes to gradually keep making those increases. After a certain point, every little bit helps. Its good to have a nice foundation. That's always a good place to start. From there you can start working the trim, the shutters or whatever.

I've got the ground work laid out and the structure up. I'm trying to tweak things now. After a while its not that complicated but if you don't take it slowly and learn, it can be.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.