The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Glass of Red Wine everyday??

how can this be good for you?? I have been drinking a glass a night! but can it be good while cutting? Research does say a glass or 2 a day is good for you.. Can this be true?

If I am cutting should I stop drinking it? I am trying to stay super low carbs and I am sure red wine is loaded with em!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Antioxidants are protective against heart disease.

But heart disease is not a disease of deficiency in red wine.

If you eat a healthy diet with plenty of antioxidants (ie. carbs...sorry) then you don't need red wine.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Yes red wine contains antioxidants, but it's not enough to justify drinking it for health benefits given the alcohol content. Just eat some frigging grapes.
    Last edited by TheGimp; 04-28-2004 at 09:57 AM. Reason: grammar

LOL, it's the tannins. Red wines have more of them. They in turn have antioxidants. A small glass probably wouldn't hurt much, alcohol wise.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

red wine can lower estrogen:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=11519862
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12095950

"On the other hand, the potent effect of anti-aromatase chemicals in red wine overcomes the weak inductive effect of alcohol in wine."

also any alcohol in moderation will increase HDL so that will be a positive too.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 04-28-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    ok so are you saying in general, for cutting, and bulking it would actually be good to drink the wine for a benifit/just ok/ or bad???

Out of those three which do you think it applies to?

well heart disease is a long-term thing...

Wannabebig Member
    the wine thins the blood. My father has had a jew heart attacks and sugery, the doc told him that he should drink a small glass a day to keep his blood thin.

a jew heart attack??
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Probably meant 'a few'.

You have to weight the slight benefit of drinking wine to the caloric effect on your diet.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Also, don't forget that alcohol consumption may lower test levels.

I'd do it and will once I'm a bit older. Of course if I were training for a comp I'd omit the wine until afterwards.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The recommended level would be 1/2 a wine glass, which I believe would be 1.75oz. Negligible alcohol content and does some pretty good stuff.

I'd drink half to one glass per day if it didn't taste to crappy by the 3rd day after the bottle is open!
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

what about those vacuum resealers that pump out a lot of the air (has a rubber cork replacemnt)? haven't tried them myself so i don't know.

Motors, Music & Muscle HemiVision's Avatar
    I've read that a glass of white wine after dinner helps spike insulin levels and can actually help burn fat. I'm not sure if it applies to red wine as well, but if not I'd be curious to know what the difference is.

If your going to drink if just for the antioxidants and get no pleasure from it, probably not worth it. I don't notice a differance after a weak later after opening the bottle. You could always get the box wine I've read some that guarantee two months I think.

As far as cutting 90 cals isn't going to ruin your cut. I doubt most people monitor there cals to that accuaracy.

I have also read that tannins(can't remember), whatever has the good stuff in it die after a couple days. So you better drink the whole bottle.

Also one glass of wine will not lower test that much. I drink more then I should and......
    Last edited by Berserker; 05-04-2004 at 06:24 PM.

Aise from hard straigh hard liquor wine is probably the best for drinkers. Least cals. Your getting almost three times the alcohol, with less cals.

unless there is something else going on besides calories, a spike in insulin from the white wine is going to slow fat burning, not speed it up: insulin is a storage signal.

and box wine last doesn't go bad because its starts out bad, and can't get any worse.

If you like wines like blush, rose, granche or zin, its ok. I tried boxed merlot once and didn't care for it. I am tempted try a differant brand.

My cardiologist suggested drinking a glass of red wine a week. He mumbled some study done in italy or france about it

I would think once a week wouldn't be enough to have a effect. But I am not a doctor.