Thread: Compound kickbacks?

Compound kickbacks?

hey y'all.. I saw Ronnie doing something similar to this in his training vid or whatever awhile back. I thought I'd try them out, and have been doing them since.

(and yeah, that's me, Casper the Friendly Ghost w/ 35 lb dumbells )

I think they're fun to do, but I don't know what they're called and haven't seen them on the ExRx site (where I get all my official workout terms )..

I call them "compound kickbacks" since they work a little of the shoulders, forearms, and back, but is there a name for them?
    Last edited by DavidyourDuke; 05-04-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Those look cool, I'm gonna try them.

Yeah, I like them alot. Ronnie wasn't nearly doing as full of a motion as I am. I have to say though, this isn't the best demostration.. my form wasn't good at all

They look kinda like DB cleans or cuban presses.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Hmm, I don't remember him doing that motion, exactly. I think he was just doing DB laterals with bad form.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

So does this just look like a really really bad form of some exercise? :P

I wannabebig!
    ya it does haha, but what do I know... personally I've never seen that done before.

correction

I have it was a guy who used db's 100000 lbs to heavy for him to do lateral raises with
    Last edited by ryuage; 05-04-2004 at 01:50 PM.

Wow, you'll be able to do a mean chicken dance after a month of those!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I think it's a good exercise, though. I use it on my back days, as I believe it works mostly my back. But I like to have a compound exercise for just about every muscle, for overall strength to compliment all my isolationist exercises.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Yeah, yesterday I saw someone do exactly the same motion, except he's a newb and the trainers at my gym makes the newb do lateral raises, not "compound kickbacks".

It can be bad for the rotator cuffs, especially with 35 lbs dumbell. But if they're 100% healthy and the movement is painfree, then it could be benificial, altough potentially dangerous if done too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    har har har

I'll have a mean back-hand slap also!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brubaker
    Yeah, yesterday I saw someone do exactly the same motion, except he's a newb and the trainers at my gym makes the newb do lateral raises, not "compound kickbacks".
    I could be a writer for ExRx!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brubaker
    It can be bad for the rotator cuffs, especially with 35 lbs dumbell. But if they're 100% healthy and the movement is painfree, then it could be benificial, although potentially dangerous if done too fast.
    I make sure I have full control of the weights. The last frame in the gif is where I stop... but it's like stopping at a red light... you slow down way before actually stop.

And yeah, don't sling the dumbells like a crazy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Hmm, I don't remember him doing that motion, exactly. I think he was just doing DB laterals with bad form.
    :withstupi

Yeah, I think it was Ronnie's version of lateral raises
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I do front dumbell raises and lateral dumbells raises for my shoulders, along with close grip dips for my deltoids. I bet it doesn't look like I can do dips w/ 50 lbs extra does it?

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro

Like the others have said, it looks like ya trying to do lateral raises with bad form and too much weight.
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Those aren't my lateral raises dammit! I did it because that Ronnie-freakazoid was doing them! I need bigger/stronger lats! Britney Spears is not pretty!

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidyourDuke
    I need bigger/stronger lats!
    Well I think other exercises would be of more benefit then that one.

Britney Spears is not pretty!
    True, but Norah Jones and Brooke Burke are.

Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla
    Well I think other exercises would be of more benefit then that one.
    I do pullups

Quagmire wannabe
    I do pullups
    What do you use the 'chicken dance' exercise for then?

I do a variation of those. I do it sitting on the end of a bench, and i bring my arms down behind my legs, with my lower back leaning forward. I then raise them up, along with sitting up, in a similar fasion to what you are doing. I bring the dumbells up higher though.
    "Color outside the lines"

Quote Originally Posted by fen2zla
    What do you use the 'chicken dance' exercise for then?
    Just a general compound movement. I imagine it uses the back, shoulders, and forearms are the primary muscles, and the biceps as a stabilizer. Honestly, which I first started it, I didn't know what it did. I just thought I'd do it because Ronnie was, and it wasn't that hard anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebu
    I do a variation of those. I do it sitting on the end of a bench, and i bring my arms down behind my legs, with my lower back leaning forward. I then raise them up, along with sitting up, in a similar fasion to what you are doing. I bring the dumbells up higher though.
    That gif was a really bad demonstration, I have to say. I go a little above my shoulder, and the movement is much, much more symmetrical. If I can't be symmetrical, I lower the weight. But I can do 35 lbs.. I don't know why I didn't make a better gif

I might try what you were talking about... I'd probably need better control and form, which is always good.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Isn't that a 10 lbs and a 5 lbs disc on each side?

For each dumbell, it's a 10 lb and 7 1/2 lb disc (for each corressponding side). I never could find the 7 1/2 after I bought this dumbell set. Wish they sold them individually..
    Last edited by DavidyourDuke; 05-05-2004 at 07:02 AM.