The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

strength of gorillas

just an interesting fact i learned, that gorillas are extremly strong. i went to the zoo the other day, and they just built this $25-30 million gorilla valley. it says that a full-grown 350-400 lb silverback male gorillas have arm strength greater than that of the world's strongest man. and i wouldnt doubt it either. the thing that just amazes me the most about gorillas, is how similar they are to us. yet they are sooooo much stronger.
    Last edited by biggimp; 05-05-2004 at 07:24 PM.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Yeah? But who's got the mobile (oposible sp?) thumb?? HUH!!!
    w00t

they have opposible thumbs and big toes.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.

journal

They do not have opposable thumbs (a gorilla cannot touch the tip of its thumb to the tip of its pinkie. etc). I remember reading somewhere that most mammals are 4-7 times stronger than humans for their size/weight. Physically, we humans are pathetic, if it wasn't for our big beautiful brains, we'd still be fairly far down on the food chain.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

lol
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

i always wanted to see a fight between Ahnold(when he was really huge) and a gorilla.

No offense to Arnold, but the Gorilla would easily win. First of all, Gorilla have fighting Canines (that's big pointy teeth, for those that don't habla). Second, they are much stronger (not to mention, faster) than we are. Anybody see that lame show on fox "Man vs. Animals" or something. A 120-lb Orangutan pulled a 350-lb sumo wrestler off his feet in a tug-of-war. Not to make this a Superman-vs-Mighty Mouse-vs-Alien-vs-Predator type of thing.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Silverback Gorillas would absolutely own us, and then they would eat their poop.
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

My roommate learned in his anthro class that even orangutans can tear off of a person's arm fairly easily... think of how strong a gorilla must be.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

unemployed college grad jimlynch11's Avatar
    I wonder if our comparative weakness to other mammals was always the case, or has simply evolved (devolved?) over the last few thousands of years as our technology has afforded us with other advantages/comforts.
    Last edited by jimlynch11; 05-05-2004 at 09:52 PM.
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 175 lbs.
    Phase: Bulking UP

thats a good point, like maybe we were uber-strong thousands of years ago?

sorry about the opposable thumb thing, i though it meant you could pick stuff up. which gorillas can. there thumb is just a lot lot shorter.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    just an interesting fact i learned, that gorillas are extremly strong.
    what hole have you been living in all this time?
    I thought this was common knowledge that we all learned at age 4...
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 05-05-2004 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11
    I wonder if our comparative weakness to other mammals was always the case, or has simply evolved (devolved?) over the last few thousands of years as our technology has afforded us with other advantages/comforts.
    it's often referred to as reductive evolution. you lose what you don't need. Being that much bigger and stronger is not necessarily an evolutionary advantage.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Must.. Eat.. More..
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11
    I have heard soem theories suggest we evolved from them
    This seems like the cool thing to do...

READ MY JOURNAL: CLCIK HERE FOR TITS.. i mean my journal..
    my pics

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    it's often referred to as reductive evolution. you lose what you don't need. Being that much bigger and stronger is not necessarily an evolutionary advantage.
    But now we live in a world where, by average, big strong men get all the ladies. Aren't big guys reproducing more than skinny guys? Shouldn't we be evolving to get stronger now?

I guess we are sabotaging by having rich men get the women too and by having so much sex without reproducing. When checking out what kind of guy actually gets 10+ kids, its usually a dumb, rural, ugly, poor ****er who beats his baby popping wife.

We really are evolving backwards.
    Last edited by Reinier; 05-06-2004 at 01:17 AM.

I saw a female chimp lateral front raise her own bodyweight with a single arm, just to get to some food that was under this box.
    Aint a human in the world that can lateral raise his own BW with both arms...
    and this chimp lady was obviously not even trying all that damn hard

There's one of these faces of death videos where a zoo tourist is ripped literally in half by a pissed off silverback. = these apes aren't kidding.

What's more interesting is how this works biologically. How come our muscles are so inefficient? and how come gorillas have so much muscle while their diet would make any human into a skinny hippie with oedema
    Last edited by Reinier; 05-06-2004 at 01:19 AM.

Silverback male gorillas dont just have arm-strength stronger than the worlds greatest man, 1 silverback would clean up Arnie, Svend, Samuelson, Stallone, Ferrigno, Bruce Lee, Van Damme, 3 NFL players of your choice and still have time to get some female gorilla ass before going back to his patch of leaves and eating some flowers.

Well yeah that's true. but I just find it amazing. How is it possible biologically

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    What's more interesting is how this works biologically. How come our muscles are so inefficient? and how come gorillas have so much muscle while their diet would make any human into a skinny hippie with oedema
    Their stomachs can digest and extract the protein from grass, flowers etc. Our digestion system isnt all that hot really

I'd say they also have tighter packed muscle fibres. Obviously packed even tighter than the strongest strength trainers. I'd say a lot of it would be brain power, or lack therof as well. A 120lbs junky with a fried brain can sometimes be as strong as a 300lbs police officer.

Do that voodoo that he do
    I read the reason for this a while back, if I remember correctly. It has to do with recruitment and mechanical advantage. They have much higher recruitment rates than we do. Also notice that they don't really do much of anything endurance-based. This would support that.

As someone said, other mammals are much stronger, pound for pound, as well. Think of dogs. Most dogs are smaller than humans, but much stronger. Case in point: Me = fairly strong, 240 pound grappler v Mercedes, my mother's 55 pound shar-pei, and it came to toenail clipping time. It was a battle.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

They are compensating for having tiny schlongs!! Hahhaahahaha

humans have unproportionally large schlongs (compared to most mammals) cos thats what human chicks were attracted to

Gorilla chicks go for muscles, hence beefness/lack of sausageness

I think if all mankind clubbed together we could have a right laugh messing with evolution

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    humans have unproportionally large schlongs (compared to most mammals) cos thats what human chicks were attracted to
    I guess I'm not human, then.

I must be a gorilla.

We're talkin' teensy.

Really small.

Tiny Tim could put me to shame.

I'm the Anti-Holmes.

Magnifying glass required.

Scratching could tear it off if I'm not careful.

Thought it was a pube.. Then I peed out of it.

*sigh*

*pulls trigger*
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    ^roflmao!
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    But now we live in a world where, by average, big strong men get all the ladies. Aren't big guys reproducing more than skinny guys? Shouldn't we be evolving to get stronger now?

I guess we are sabotaging by having rich men get the women too and by having so much sex without reproducing. When checking out what kind of guy actually gets 10+ kids, its usually a dumb, rural, ugly, poor ****er who beats his baby popping wife.

We really are evolving backwards.
    Size and strength aer two different things. That's not my point though. The amount of strength is rediculously unnecessary and taxing for us. Sure, evolution may favor us looking like and being as strong as Arnold, but that's still way way short of king kong strong. Also, if I recall correctly several studies show women prefer the moderately athletic to the freakishly huge and ripped look, so maybe there's your answer.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.