The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

That American "Hero" Jessica Lynch

This thread has gone to hell, just close it.
    Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 05-05-2004 at 05:33 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Are you referring to Jessica Lynch??? If so, the entire thing was a f**king propanganda created by the US Army to justify the invasion of and "war" on Iraq.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I didn't read about her being lost and not able to use a map/compass. But her weapon jammed because she didn't take care of it and she didn't fight back? That's a big no no.

Get your facts straight before you start publicly bashing someone. Lynch was a passenger on a vehicle that was part of a group of several vehicles that got separated from their convoy. Yes someone screwed up in getting these vehicles lost but it was not Lynch.
    Also Lynch was seriously injured and her weapon damaged when her vehicle crashed after being ambushed. She did not fight back because she was unable to, not because she was unwilling to.
    Finally the military may have publicized her capture and eventual rescue to increase public support for the war but it was not used to justify the invasion and war, they were already there!

Did a little search, she has her own fan sites now too by the way. http://www.jessica-lynch.com

Few articles:
    http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1266362003
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Lynch
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/3028585.stm
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in582354.shtml (more about PFC Miller (who should of took better care of his weapon too), but says Lych was unconscious.

Some excerpts:
    Lynch herself has criticized the US government for releasing false information, stating "They used me as a way to symbolize all this stuff..." [1] Though Pentagon statements claimed that Lynch emptied her gun fighting off her attackers, later reports and Lynch herself indicated that this was not the case; in fact her gun jammed on the first round and she did not offer any resistance to her capture.

"There was no [sign of] shooting, no bullet inside her body, no stab wound - only road traffic accident. They want to distort the picture. I don't know why they think there is some benefit in saying she has a bullet injury."

"She was in pretty bad shape. There was blunt trauma, resulting in compound fractures of the left femur [upper leg] and the right humerus [upper arm.] And also a deep laceration on her head," said Dr. Harith Houssona.

If she took better care of her weapon it wouldn't of jammed, not sure if she was conscious to fight back though.

And I didn't hear about anyone dying during the rescue, most stories makes it seem like they overdid that. I don't think they did but don't know why they had a night vision camera during it. She's a survivor, somewhat heroic.

The US Army did over dramatize the situation because at the time things had started to bog down and we weren't making as much progress as people thought we would. Morale was starting to fall.

I hate that people tend to forget that it was an Iraqi that helped the Army find her. The man ran through a warzone to get intel and was even hit by scrapnel from an American bomb, and as a result he lost his sight in one eye.
    Last edited by TBone4Eva; 05-05-2004 at 05:27 AM.

Well for one thing she got off her ass and didn't something besides sit on a computer.
    Your just a kid trying to stir things up. I understand a little, I was a dumb ass at your age .
    Last edited by Berserker; 05-05-2004 at 05:49 AM.

Yeah, it's a bit late don't you think? It's been like 6 months since her name has been spoken in the news.

If she was a "he" you bet your ass the soilders would have been sent in. What do you base that statement on? Your whole post is full of mis-information.
    Last edited by JustinF; 05-05-2004 at 05:44 AM.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Canadians. Go figure.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

One of the issues with the stories was that there were witnesses who saw a 'blonde female' empty 'her' weapon and fight like mad.

Thing is, the 'blonde female' wasn't her. It was another member of the unit (a relatively small male), who was killed.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Wow no comment.
    w00t

I dont believe she is a hero, but she doesn't deserve the ridicule she receives. The media and the military coined that term for her.

Also, like many have said, your informoration is all wrong. She didnt just wander off and get captured. Her convoy was attacked and Im pretty certain she wasnt navigating. I don't remember hearing about anyone getting killed rescuing her. And call me an idiot but I think it would be pretty damn difficult navigating through a warzone in a foreign country with only a map and a compass. Things become a thousand times more difficult when you are being shot at, and I dont think they label their streets in English for us (if they label them at all).
    Last edited by -sin-; 05-05-2004 at 10:13 AM.

A hero? No, not really. Worthy of respect? Absolutely, because she disowned the inflated propaganda of the U.S. government, and has been quiet and reserved since then, attributing the truly courageous behavior to her comrades who were able to fight back.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    If she was a he, they would not have sent anyone in. You dont think they know where some MIA soldiers are? Ofcourse they do! They just cant take the risk of invasion for it.

Gyno: Really, if it wasn't for your government, this arguement never would have been happening. Canadian mind there business, Americans dont. Nothing against American's though, since more that 50% of them oppose there goverment. (Nice country ya have there btw).
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

yes it is the most prosperous, with the highest GDP of any country. also one of the most technologically advanced ones too. what has canada contributed to the world?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    As a side note, I'd like to point out that she got better treatment than the coalition is giving to Iraqui prisioners.

Quote Originally Posted by restless
    As a side note, I'd like to point out that she got better treatment than the coalition is giving to Iraqui prisioners.
    Oh, really?

So we're sodomizing our prisoners regularly now?

Give me a break. You know that crap isn't true and you said it to stir stuff up.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

well there is at least one case of that.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

LOL, are you sure your name isn't reckless
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Oh, really?

So we're sodomizing our prisoners regularly now?

Give me a break. You know that crap isn't true and you said it to stir stuff up.

No I didn't and it is the truth.

Even higher ranks of the US army have admited the abuse is widespread. The same way a lot of people feels this is justifiable behaviour (I could point you to a few threads showing this on another boards), I'll bet a lot of soldiers on the ground think this way.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    If it makes feel any better Gyno, I'll refrase this.

She was given better treatment than the coalition has given to a unspecified number of Iraqui prisioners.

There.

Happy now, or is also not the truth?
    Last edited by restless; 05-05-2004 at 04:56 PM.

If it makes feel any better Gyno, I'll refrase this.

She was given better treatment than the coalition has given to a unspecified number of Iraqui prisioners.

There.

Happy now, or is also not the truth?
    That's better.

The truth is that there are some Iraqis who have been treated worse. I don't doubt that. But the way YOU say it, and the way that the MEDIA would like to say it are the same - trying to make it out like the average prisoner is raped, sodomized, beaten, etc etc.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by rpffly
    LOL, are you sure your name isn't reckless
    LOL

As in:

reckless -- marked by unthinking boldness; with defiant disregard for danger or consequences?

Maybe it should be......

A bit of topic but I don't think the whole issue of prisoner abuse is anything new.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo