Thread: Jesus... I keep getting sick

Jesus... I keep getting sick

For maybe the 6th+ time since the winter started I've gotten sick. None of the times are severe and they all are about the same thing but I'm wondering if I can get better faster and/or prevent it.

I keep getting a relatively bad sore throat followed by (after maybe a day to three days) nasal congestion and fever for a couple days, and I don't feel completely normal for usually over a week after I started getting sick. It just keeps coming back. I might be overtraining but most of my lifts have been improving. My rest is usually 8 hours of sleep a night, though due to lacrosse away games every now and then I'm a little short.

Any ideas on how to make this any better?

Simple answer: go see a doctor and tell him your situation.

now for speculative opinion...have you lived in the area for any particular amount of time? 4 years? all you life? Do you have any allergies? You need to check these before moving on. Also, how's your eating? Quality of sleep? Stress levels?

These all affect your immune system and will ultimately affect how often you get sick. Best of luck.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

get bloodwork done! CBC chem panel, the works, hell even get them to test your blood for allergeies.

Thanks for your advice. I usually hate seeing a doctor but I think I'm going to do it. To answer a couple of your questions, as far as I know I have no allergies (I've been sick in the Winter and the very hot Spring). I've lived here the last 4 or so years but I usually don't get sick this often .. at least I don't think. As far as diet is going, I'm eating enough to stay around 210-215 lbs with a good mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats. I take a centrum and a vitamin C tablet almost every day, but as far as fruits and vegetables I could be better I guess. Sleep quality is usually bad because I drink too much (milk/water) before bed and I have to get up once or twice most nights. Usually I'm pretty dehydrated after practice and I want to keep my weight the same and so I'll have around 8 glasses of milk at 8:00 (practice is ~5:30-7:45). I've never been very stressed. I'm also 17 years old ..

Also, most of the time I get sick a family member will give me it.. But the rest of my family usually won't get it, just me ..

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    ...I've lived here the last 4 or so years but I usually don't get sick this often .. at least I don't think.
    LOL, this is key! It also means you most likely have allergies. It's precisely why I asked this question. It usually takes about four years to develop an IgE response which is responsible for allergies. I'd venture to say that you've only really started having this in the last 6 months. This is actually pretty classic. Ask your doc. He'll probably tell you the same thing (although some docs don't know their immunology as well as they should). He'll probably give you some antihistamines.

*edit...damn my homonym dyslexia!
    Last edited by ectx; 05-07-2004 at 09:58 AM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Another vote for allergies. I had the same thing happen to me recently. I would get nasty sore throats, but I didnt break into fever. Just the worst ****ing sore throats, went to the doc, got some allergy meds and it got better. What was happening was allergies caused some mucus and post-nasal drip, which kept getting me sick...
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!