Thread: 3 Day a Week Full Body Routine

3 Day a Week Full Body Routine

*gets ready to be flamed*

I got it in my head for the last few days that full body routine is the best choice for me... So how does this sound. A full body routine every monday, wednesday, friday circut training style (I think thats what it is - from 1 set of pecs to 1 set of quads to 1 set of lats as fast a possible all sets to failure). I'd be doing the same routine as I'm doing now only split into one day 3 times and maybe lowering the volume. I'd squat on monday and deadlift on friday (just like I'm doing now) the only difference is on deadlift day I'd hit my quads with leg extensions and on squat day I'd hit my hammies with leg curls. Wedsnesdays I'd do leg extensions and leg curls and maybe some sort of lower back work out. I was thinking either 2 sets per muscle a day or 3 sets.

I've done full body before like this but it was when I first started. Well, it wasn't exactly like this - I was a newbie so I wasn't squating or deadlifting but I was doing full body. I also gained like a mofo, maybe 1/2 to 1 pound every work out (I weighed myself at the gym) and surprisingly it was lean too! People thought I was on drugs or sick because I had so many veins in my arms and hands. I was a scrawny 120 pounds when I first started at 18 and a few short months later I was up to a very lean 150. But, like I said, this was when I first started so I'm not expecting to gain like that again.

Anyway, this is great for me because it'll keep my endurance up like I wanted. I figure I could work on strength quit a bit as well with olympic style lifts as well. But even better is that this should be good for my biceps which I've noticed lagging. I figure since they're smaller I've been giving them too much time to recover so this should help them out. Also, if this is true should I do less volume for quads or even chest? Like I said, I'm thinking either 2 sets a body part or 3 sets a body part or maybe more... or maybe I'll change how many sets I do depending on the body part... but yeah, you get the idea. So any help would be appreciated since I'm not too sure on how to tackle this.
    Last edited by wrestlemaniac; 05-07-2004 at 02:04 AM.

The Tuna Tempter
    Sounds alright, though there's no need to be training to failure if you're going to be training so frequently. Failure is not a stimulus for growth.

Why not just stop a few reps from failure, which will shorten recovery time and allow you to hit the muscle again 2 days later?

If you wanna do a full body routine for hypertrophy, go on over to www.hypertrophy-specific.com and read up on HST.
    Life's too short to be small

Quote Originally Posted by Tank23
    Sounds alright, though there's no need to be training to failure if you're going to be training so frequently. Failure is not a stimulus for growth.

Why not just stop a few reps from failure, which will shorten recovery time and allow you to hit the muscle again 2 days later?

If you wanna do a full body routine for hypertrophy, go on over to www.hypertrophy-specific.com and read up on HST.

This fullbody workout routine works so well because you aren't training to failure. It's hard to do a fullbody and not overtrain when you go to failure.