The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Huge Arms On Tiny Body?

I don't see this often but every now and then I see someone at the mall or at the gym or at the court or wherever, who has a tiny, scrawny, underdeveloped body, with some huge guns.

I am a dedicated BBer and I work all areas of the body. I am wondering how this is possible. What is up with these people and how do they get huge arms without a huge body?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The Tuna Tempter
    They're called curl jockeys dude.
    Life's too short to be small

some have good gun genetics, and others overtrain arms over other parts

Quote Originally Posted by Tank23
    They're called curl jockeys dude.
    Done said it.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

Under Construction
    Guys with arms that are bigger than their legs are kind of funny.
    Just one guy's opinion.

I used to only do curls and pushups, lol. I finally started squatting, deadlifting, and the rest. Good thing I started then or I really would've started to look uneven.. My arms are the biggest, porportionally, on me though. But you probably woudln't notice it
    Last edited by DavidyourDuke; 05-07-2004 at 01:56 PM.

but the thing that confuses me is this....

How does a small skinny person, who obviously doesn't eat a growing bber's diet, ever get guns like that.

You must eat a lot to grow. And they say you need to put on like 20 pounds to gain an inch on your body. So how can some kid who does 5 sets of curls 3 times a week and never gains weight have huge arms. I know it's uncommon, but I've seen it.

I work the sh-t outta my arms(along with other body parts) and I'm currently cutting. But even if I ate at a maintaining rate my arms would not grow like that. Only if I was in a heavy bulk could I imagine my arms growing quick. But they would grow along with the rest of me, probably including my stomach.

So what's the deal, just genetics?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

And most non BB's think that big guns would = he works out pretty good and is sorta buff. But if your big all around like a BB would like to be = he must be on roids or he looks nasty Or he is Fat. WTf is that?
    Last edited by Sug; 05-07-2004 at 11:52 PM.

Maybe he has a job and uses his arms to work.

Good Point, Brick.

Roofers for example, spend all day hammering down shingles. Thus, big arms.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

*Signs up to be a roofer*

but my question is this...

We as BBer's do all of this calculated eating, protein intake, tons of workouts, and plot everything out. Still we see slow results and are unpleased with results more often than not.

How can some dude work on a roof all day while eating Kit Kats and drinking Big Red and then get huge guns?

I thought the only way to grow was proper nutrition. Is it possible to grow huge arms without being on a bulking diet? Or just eating like a normal person who doesn't BB?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Wannabebig Member
    People say nutrition is the most important part of growing in size, you can eat crap and lift weights and you'll still make gains, but slower.

I think them people train propelly but don't let their freinds know ... do they do some sort of undercover training.

Kinda like my freind.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    *Signs up to be a roofer*

but my question is this...

We as BBer's do all of this calculated eating, protein intake, tons of workouts, and plot everything out. Still we see slow results and are unpleased with results more often than not.

How can some dude work on a roof all day while eating Kit Kats and drinking Big Red and then get huge guns?

I thought the only way to grow was proper nutrition. Is it possible to grow huge arms without being on a bulking diet? Or just eating like a normal person who doesn't BB?
    Working on a roof is very hard work. Those guys work there arms/back and other muslces almost all day, 5 days a week. Granted only there arms grow big usually because they use there arms more than other body parts. I did roofing for a year and yea those guys all have decent arms and mainly forearms. I have big forearms in proportion to my arms, and this is because of roofing and other forms of labor I've done. Most roofers are really skinny and lean though, because they burn so many calories everyday working on the roof, so they rarely get really big, just lean.

Another thing to take into consideration is genetics. Genetics plays a huge part in where you "start out" I like to think. I see guys who are just starting with there lifting and squat more than me. Or guys who just play basketball and have huge arms. The good thing is that we know it IS possible to get there, it just takes more work for some of us. It's kind of like not everyone is really smart, some of us have to work harder than others to grab difficult concepts. It's not fair but I like to think everyone has something they are naturally good at when they start out.

People always praise the huge bodybuilder, I praise the 250lb guy who had obese parents and then lost 75lbs, or the 130lb skinny-fat kid whose parents are skinny twigs who bulked up to a solid 170lbs. These are the real bodybuilding heroes. I think this is the main reason we can say that size does not equal knowledge.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 05-08-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated

People always praise the huge bodybuilder, I praise the 250lb guy who had obese parents and then lost 75lbs, or the 130lb skinny-fat kid whose parents are skinny twigs who bulked up to a solid 170lbs. These are the real bodybuilding heroes. I think this is the main reason we can say that size does not equal knowledge.

that is quotable material right there....

well said man.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Wannabebig Member
    i think i got the answer to this before i started working out around 16 i still had pretty big arms with no chest or anyhting. It was so noticable that i was called pop eye but i weorked alot with my dad roofing. Maybe the kids u see work there arms alot at work. that would be a good explanation. Just my 2 cents
    Dedication is key

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated
    This should be the entry to the body builders bible..

The Planet of Water and Iron, Galveston TX
    I was a hairdresser. I have muscular arms just from blowdrying my clients hair out. Requires a bit of tension on the hairbrush to get it perfectly straight. *laff*

I used to date a professional boxer, he was a cardio king, ran 12 miles in 30 minutes and still smoked like a chimney. He had a very nice torso and upper body from his training, but his legs were skinny twigs. He sneered at any suggestions I ever made, but then again I was the "fat girlfriend".

I dont find HUGE legs all that attractive, but they need to be in balance with the torso for an appealing asthetic. Having said that, muscles from real work are damn sexy.

My guess is also that he is a laborer, roofer or something equivalent.
    Stay calm and aggressive. -Gabby Reece

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday. View Post
    I used to date a professional boxer, he was a cardio king, ran 12 miles in 30 minutes and still smoked like a chimney. He had a very nice torso and upper body from his training, but his legs were skinny twigs. He sneered at any suggestions I ever made, but then again I was the "fat girlfriend".
    Unless you made a typo there, you shouldn't have believed everything he told you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    ....you shouldn't have believed everything he told you.
    Eventually, I learned not to!

Ahhh, I remember this thread like it was may 7th, 2004.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Ahhh, I remember this thread like it was may 7th, 2004.

Right. Next time I start a new thread you can point me to the search feature, thanks!

I remember seeing a guy at the bar and he was roughly 6 feet tall... He had a TINY chest but HUGE arms.... It was so weird looking....

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday. View Post
    Right. Next time I start a new thread you can point me to the search feature, thanks!
    Heh, i'm just being a prick. Dont worry about it.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Heh, i'm just being a prick. Dont worry about it.
    I'm just being a prick too, I'm just a ninja prick.
    Peace.