The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Gym Nerves

wants to be sexy

Gym Nerves

Im joining a gym in a couple of days because I have been home training for like the last 6 months but i think due to poor dedication my cardio has been wonky. I feel embarassed running at a time of day where people would see so i plan to run at 7am, but 9/10 outta it dont happen coz i sleep late etc. Im finally joining a local gym but i cant help but feel nervous, what are gyms like? i always will feel ppl are lookin at me and larf etc, i just cant get over that, i just want to join a gym mainly to help with cardio coz im kool with doing free weight at home, but would u say a gym has better to offer with machines?
    Height- 5'11
    Weight- 175 lbs(15/05/04)

Cutting-24/05/04

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why would they be laughing.

Personally, I dont laugh at anyone at the gym. They are there to better themselves and no matter what they look like, they will improve as long as they stick with it. That is more than 90% of the people I see everyday can say.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

I used to think that actually, which is why I hadn't ever worked out until fairly recently.

Trust me, most people are into doing their own thing which is to lift and get the hell out as early as possible. (Unless you're a gym rat like Rene. ) The people who ARE looking at you, well, they're either space cadets or hot chicks, so no worries there.

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Self consciousness kept me out of the gym for a long time when I first started working out. Once I finally started going, I was over it in no time.

At 5'11'', 175lbs, you are NOT going to get laughed at. Just go and try to have fun while you're there.

It's just pride. You can overcome it.

Don't feel embarassed to run, I started doing cardio a couple of months ago for the first time in two years and I nearly fell of the treadmill exhausted after 10 minutes! Your fears are irrational, and it's simply a matter of 'just doing it' to get rid of them.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

i will laugh at you for joining a gym just for cardio.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Bro, I am 6'3" and when i walked into the gym i weighed 376lbs and a BF% of 43.8. I have strong wheels but the upper body of a bird. Most people are there to get in shape and of course some are further ahead than others. There was a post and i will search to see if i can find it but it lists the do's and dont's of being at a new gym. Its pretty basic stuff like dont stare, or give advice unless asked etc. You are taking the step in the right direction and trust me sometimes when i am over at the Dumbbell rack and i am doing 45lbs Shrugs and the guy beside me is doing 115lbs shrugs it is a little intamidating. But remember he stared out the same way wether in a gym or in his basement.
    Last edited by ogarchamplin; 05-24-2004 at 06:58 PM.

I'm with all of the above. If you are going to spend the money to join a gym, you might as well get all you can out of it. Lift weights there too.

The only people I laugh at in the gym are the people who are there every day that I am, and only do bicep workouts...

Otherwise, I laugh at no one (other than idiots who think they're tough, load the bar on the bench for their first set and have to roll the weight off the chest... Always funny.)

Don't be self concious man, you'll be fine...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I used to train in crap gyms cause i was bothered what people would think?
    Don't worry just cause there are some big dudes, most of them are the nicest guys you'll meet.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A new guy at my gym flopped off the bench doing DB presses, in a big clattering kerfuffle. I was all like AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA but internally... All my face betrayed was a slight twitch. So everyone is laughing at everyone else but it's all smirks and knowing glances!!!

I hated being new as well, i felt obvious and lost. Dont worry no-one cares

Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    Im joining a gym in a couple of days because I have been home training for like the last 6 months but i think due to poor dedication my cardio has been wonky. I feel embarassed running at a time of day where people would see so i plan to run at 7am, but 9/10 outta it dont happen coz i sleep late etc. Im finally joining a local gym but i cant help but feel nervous, what are gyms like? i always will feel ppl are lookin at me and larf etc, i just cant get over that, i just want to join a gym mainly to help with cardio coz im kool with doing free weight at home, but would u say a gym has better to offer with machines?
    Before joining the gym, I would suggest walking through and taking a look at all the equipment. Gyms differ in their size, crowds, type and quality of equipment, hours of operation, dues, male/female ratio, etc. Most gyms will at least have treadmills, cycling machines, and elliptical trainers as cardio equipment. The quality of this equipment is often superior to the type sold for home use.

When I first started going to the gym, I used to feel self-conscious and uncomfortable working out in front of people. Eventually I got used the new environment. I have found that it helps to go to a smaller, less-crowded gym. In an earlier post you mentioned similar issues about having "a very low self esteem and little confidence." If such problems significantly affect you lifestyle, you might find it helpful to discuss them with someone.

Everyone has to start somewhere and alot of the big buff guy in the gym started off just like you.
    Anyway at 175lb you don't sound very small.

wants to be sexy
    thanks for the feedback, im determined now but i just wanted to share how I felt. Yeh my self consciousness is a big problem for me, i prefer keeping things to myself, it only effects me when im not occupied. Anyways I did mean doin weights aswell sorry if i didnt make that clear, but thanks yeh ive seen two gyms im happy with, similar areas but one is smaller and quiter with basic decent equipment, the other is slightly more expensive, bigger and has a wider range of equipment. I think im gonna go to the basic one for a start and then see how that goes.
    Height- 5'11
    Weight- 175 lbs(15/05/04)

Cutting-24/05/04

skinny white boy
    Yeah just go and lift...nobody is going to pay attention to you.

If it makes you feel better, the biggest guy is probably the most insecure.

Word all above is a prety good segment of gym goers. No one cares your just another face in the crowd. Also 7 am would probably be one of the more busy times.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

People at the gym are there to improve themselves, and I have never seen anyone looked down on or made fun of at any of the gyms I've been to. Those that have built a good body normally started from nothing as well and remember that. Those that have just started are in the same case as you.

That said, most people are there to do their own thing. Workout and then get out. There are the few social people, but they normally rather friendly if annoying.

Hell, I remember my first day. I had been working out at home for a little bit before I joined one, and I started off on chest day. Didn't realize the bb weighed 45 pounds compared to my 25er at home so I slapped on.. i don't even remember.. probably 25 pounds a side or something small like that and gave it a shot. Got stuck first rep on my chest.

Luckily another fellow walked up, lifted the weight off my chest with one hand and reracked it for me. Nicely told me to start a little bit lighter and work my way up and went on his way. I was embarassed, but by no means did he make a big deal out of it.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member

Quote by Dr Suess

Be who you are, those mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.....

Most people in gyms are nice people and are all in this together, as described by everyone else in the above posts (and most people in these forums)...

if someone laughs or smirks at you, that person is probably a jerk no matter who you are or what you do.

My experience is that regardless of size, people will make their opinions based on your work ethic and dedication in the gym. I'm a faily small guy(170) and started out aroudn 140, but the bigs guys in the gym have always shown me respect because I'm always in there working my ass off. When you go in there, give it your all, and people won't say anything.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

As a matter of fact, if I see someone brand new in a gym I watch them for a bit... If it looks like they aren't sure of what they are doing, I'll go introduce myself and help them out a little bit... The new guys NEVER bother me...

It's the egotistical 140 dripping wet little bastards that bother me... You know, those guys that make fun of everyone in the gym and then proceed to fail a set of 115 on bench? Them...

Just don't be one of them and everything will be good for you... What weight you lift doesn't matter... Sure, you may not wow people with your strength, but no one is going to go out of their way to poke fun unless they are egotistical, arrogant, pricks.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method