The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking to buy a notebook..

This is probably going to sound hopeful to most of you, but I'm looking to buy a notebook sometime between now and August 1st. I am hoping to spend, ideally, $1,000-$1,200, though I suppose $1,500 would be the absolute max I'd spend and I would have to feel like I was getting an excellent deal (which generally isn't the case when spending more money on technology).

I'll be using this notebook for college (I'll be a freshman next year) and it will be the only computer I'll have while at college, so basically a desktop replacement that I can bring to class. I plan on buying a new notebook (or possibly desktop) once I become a junior/senior. My first concern is that I want it to replace any spiral notebooks and not make me need paper or anything like that and be able to take notes easily. I'd also like to be able to of course browse the web, download music and watch DVDs on it. I used to play a decent amount of PC Games, but not as much recently. I don't know if I'll do that as much once I get into college, but I'd like to at least let that be possible. I'm not sure how difficult it is to upgrade a video card on a notebook ...

I am not sure how fast prices will go down in the next 2 months, but hopefully they'll fall quite fast, at the least for the Pentium M's (though this may not be the case). Here's a rough idea of what I'm looking for (you guys may suggest I change some of this stuff):
    Must Have:
    -High Speed Wireless
    -DVD Player & CD Burner

Rough Idea on Specs:
    -512 MB RAM
    -Floppy Drive
    -20-40MB Hard Drive
    -Pentium M Processor (I don't care what speed as long as it's over 1000 mhz)
    -Battery should last 2+ hours
    -A Video Card that will be able to play demanding games without much lag for the next 2-3 years

-Hardware that allows "taking notes" easy (drawing diagrams, etc, without needing photoshop or anything) ... I thought I recall Microsoft having something like this, but it may just be OneNote 2003.

Stuff I don't care about :
    -Warranty
    -Software
    -Operating System
    -Free AOL
    -Printer/Mouse/Keyboard, etc.
    -Weight
    Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions on companies I should look at, how long to wait until buying this, specific things to look for, etc I'd really appreciate it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    buy a used one. Toshiba if you can.

you'll get it for less than that $1200 pricetag and it'll do everything yuo need it to do other than games

but games aren't really a requirement, are they? if you take games out of the equation, the processor, memory and graphics requirements become VERY modest

you should prioritize and think this one through, IMHO

when I graduated college '98
    teachers at the school I attended didn't allow notebooks in classes despite the fact that 25% of the student population had them. This went even for computer classes. If there was a need for a computer in a class we had the ones with the monitors nestled into the desks and hooked up on a LAN.

I'm sure now that % is higher, but they are still distractions...you might want to double check with your school. and its probably on a teacher/teacher basis.

depending on ur plans for the laptop (just taking notes?) there is little need to spend that amount of money.

Yep, laptops are waste unless you go to a school where the majority of students use them. At my school, no one uses them in class.
    Desktops are far superior in many aspects. The only thing laptops have on desktops is their portability.
    Last edited by Beast; 05-27-2004 at 01:27 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    what school are you going to be attending?

Sony Vaio is nice.

I'll be going to UNC-Wilmington. I'm pretty sure they allowed laptops in class, but I'll double check with someone that goes there in the next couple of days.

For just taking notes I guess you're right in that I could probably get anything any be fine. My main thing there was that I was justifying needing a laptop over a desktop. Playing DVDs I believe will make memory fairly important (I could be wrong) and I figure I use my computer a decent amount anyways and at times I'll probably want to be able to play demanding games and such.

I looked at a few places and I found what I wanted for about $1,500 right now with a fair amount of extra crap as well, which makes me think that after a month or so I should find something that is around $1,200.

And thanks for the help.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-27-2004 at 02:05 PM.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'd go with college ruled. At least 100 pages, preferably with one of those nice pockets in the front.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    I'd go with college ruled. At least 100 pages, preferably with one of those nice pockets in the front.
    I think possibly you may be referring to a trapper keeper? Yes they are good but I prefer the composition notebook. I find them to be quite sturdy. You could play hang man, tic-tac-toe probably for a few years if you wrote small.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    buy a used one. Toshiba if you can.

you'll get it for less than that $1200 pricetag and it'll do everything yuo need it to do other than games

but games aren't really a requirement, are they? if you take games out of the equation, the processor, memory and graphics requirements become VERY modest

you should prioritize and think this one through, IMHO

I second this, My first notebook I spent a small fortune on.
    My second I bought used, reason?
    1,They are very expensive to upgrade.
    2,They are twice the price of an equivelent desktop.

Unless you want to buy a new notebook every 2 years and waste a lot of cash to stay up with technoligy by used and let someone else take the hit, I suggest ebay.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Banned
    You're right Gid, just make sure you're not getting a dud.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Dothian just was released. A great time to buy a new laptop. Make sure you get the new Dothian chip rather then Banias chips (Different Pentium M chips). The mobile chips from intel really rock. Don't fall for the centrino garbage but definitly go with a Pentium M (Dothian).
    w00t

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Oh and I think a laptop is useless you are in 1 of 2 situations.
    1) A CE/EE/SE where you do alot of programming/CAD/design
    2) An artsie with alot of reading to do that is posted on the net. And even then you can just print those out from school print quotas.

That's just my opinion. If you don't need a cutting edge system (for games or large development stuff (CAD/IDE)) then just pick with something you can live with, not the newest and best thing out.
    w00t

Grasshoppa
    In my case, my university was setup for wireless LAN throughout the campus, so a notebook came in handy when I couldn't reach one of the computer labs or was bored in class =P.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Like UNC-CH, where I attend school, UNC-W has a comprehensive student laptop program:
    http://www.uncw.edu/itsd/laptop.html

Look into this first. They're usually okay deals, though they typically restrict you to one brand, in this case, Dell (which is probably the best mainstream brand). The main thing is the fulltime, on site support, which means they'll fix everything for you for free for your time at school.

That said, I would buy an Apple powerbook G4 over ANYTHING else, especially as a student. And I'm a computer scientist - actually, Apples are taking over CS these days. I really like the 12" powerbook, but that might not be ideal as an only machine, whereas the 15" is probably perfect. And as a student, you get monster discounts on Apple stuff.

Get a x-box or gamecube or ps2 for games -- they're more social anyway, which is what you want in college -- not a computer for games, which will make you a loner or online uber-dork. (No offense, I AM an online uber-dork, BTW.)

Finally, WIRELESS is the most important thing. I haven't used a DVD or CD in months. I get music from a streaming server, install all software from downloads, etc. 2nd most important thing is weight, because you'll be taking it everywhere.

PM for more info as a UNC student with similar laptop issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Get a x-box or gamecube or ps2 for games -- they're more social anyway, which is what you want in college -- not a computer for games, which will make you a loner or online uber-dork. (No offense, I AM an online uber-dork, BTW.)
    When I was at PSU we played games over the LAN almost everynight on PCs. When I went back for a visit back in October, everyone had their X-Boxes plugged into the LAN as well. Doing the exact same thing.

also look forward to laptops getting stolen in college
    I knew quite a few people that had theirs ganked...

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    When I was at PSU we played games over the LAN almost everynight on PCs. When I went back for a visit back in October, everyone had their X-Boxes plugged into the LAN as well. Doing the exact same thing.
    Exactly... stay away from the LAN games, PC or xbox. Play mario kart or Gran Turismo with real people in the same room, drinking beer and eating pizza. It's much healtier for you, psychologically speaking.

Trust me on this... don't waste too much time in college on LAN games! I know, because I am (was) excellent at counterstrike.