Thread: i can squat but not do leg press...?

i can squat but not do leg press...?

okay, i consider my squat decent, at over 400 lbs, but i cant do any leg press machines worth a crap. its not a strength thing, its just that when i do any of the leg press machines, my knees get so sore and they are in pain, so i have trouble repping out 4 plates just a few times... i used to do 6 plates 10 times with ease. wtf do you think is going on?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Your knees don't like the fixed angle.

Be happy that you can do squats, forget about the leg presses, find some other leg exercises, and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Your knees don't like the fixed angle.

Be happy that you can do squats, forget about the leg presses, find some other leg exercises, and call it a day.
    I hate those friggin machines for legs. Squats are where it`s at brutha !!

I'm the same way. My last squat max was 425, and I'm sure it's significantly higher now, but I have a heck of a time leg pressing.

Probably has something to do with the different mechanics of the two lifts, and what makes you good at squatting doesn't carry over to the leg press.

I think the leg press might more coincide with a deadlift weakness (which also holds true for me, as my deadlift is embarassing.)

At the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about it, just focus on getting bigger and stronger.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'm another one with the same problem, I'm just glad it's the leg press and not the squats I have problems with. I think part of my problem is the leg press machine at my gym is built for people 5'5" with a 20 inch inseam, me standing at 6'2" with looooong legs make it akward to even sit down in the thing.

I leg press more than double what I can squat easily. So dunno, maybe it's body mechanics, or something.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Maybe it's your L33t leg pressing skills.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

you spelled 1337 wrong.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

I replaced them with lunges...and i think they are a lot better.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.