The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Creatine 500

Creatine 500

I just ordered some Nitrean/Creatine from you guys but I was wondering exactly what amount of creatine I should take.

This will be my first cylce. My goal is to add about 10lbs by around August 10th not counting the excess water weight added by the creatine. I'm about to start a new routine after I finish resting this week and will be using creatine for the first time. I weigh 210-215 lbs (depending on time of day) with maybe 12% BF or so.

Are there any suggestions you can give me about the amount to take during loading/maintenance, the amount of time to spend loading and should I wait to "sort of" plateu in my routine before starting or not really bother?

I'm really hoping that the extra weight as well as the creatine will help me put up some big numbers on bench by the end of the summer as that's my main goal ..

Thanks a lot..

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

no offense but creatine isn't a wonder drug.. its not gonna help tooo much in 'puttin up big bench numbers by the end of the summer'
    that having been said
    you can take 20g a day for.. 5 days, i think it is- then recomended maintinance (sp? im ******ed) is 5g day

some people say that loading is unnecessary, and if you take 5g a day throughout, you will have the same results- Some even say that only 2-3g a day is needed through supplementation.
    bottom line- there are varying views on the topic.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Read the sticky at the top of the supps forum.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Well, he is trying to add 10 lbs, that is something very possible and probable with creatine use for the uninitiated.

Biz, I would suggest you skip the loading phase and just go with 5g per day.

Creatine, as far as supplements and effectiveness is concerned really is a "wonder" product. As I have stated before not everyone will respond to creatine, but most who take it can expect to add 5-10 lbs of muscle from the product (first time users).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Several of my friends from lacrosse took creatine for a couple of months and despite the fact that their training was bad most of them said they got a good deal stronger. I'm not expecting this to be like steroids or anything, but for $15 it's definitely worth a try. The 10 lbs over about 12 weeks I don't expect to have a problem putting on and perhaps with the help of AtLargeNutrition more of it will be muscle than had I not used their supplements.

Patty, I've checked out creatinemonohydrate.com and creatinefacts.com, but the loading suggestions were a little different between those sites and the back of Creatine 500, so I figured I'd give my stats and goals and see what the best advice was.

Anyways, thanks a lot, Chris.

An article from this site

The Optimal Creatine Dosing Schedule

View all articles by Justin Frank

Written by : Justin Frank print article email article

Most people just don't know how to take creatine in the most efficient and cost effective manner. You can take creatine just about however way you like, but it is most likely not the most efficient way. This dosing schedule concentrates on efficiency, most people take far too much creatine, and a lot of it ends up in the toilet. Now, lets get started...

The typical creatine supplementation protocol begins with a loading dose of 20 g per day for 5 days. This is completely unnecessary. 5 days is over doing it, Although a 5-day loading period is most common, 2 days of loading has been shown to yield similar muscle creatine concentration and performance results. Again, efficiency. Also, "A study by Green et al found that the addition of a carbohydrate solution (90 g four times daily during the loading phase) further enhanced the increase in muscle creatine concentration relative to taking creatine alone."

This is usually followed by a "maintenance" dose of 5-10g per day, which is excessive, 2g per day is all that is needed.

"Muscle concentrations of creatine and PCr return to baseline levels approximately 28 days after discontinuing creatine supplementation."

For those of you that oppose loading (for whatever reason, many people feel it's dangerous, which has never been shown to be true), 3 g per day for 28 days results in muscle creatine concentrations similar to 2-5 days of loading.

"It is important to note, however, that skeletal muscle has a creatine storage capacity of 150 to 160 mmol/kg (normal is 125 mmol/kg), which makes over supplementation futile. This is important information for those who think that more is better. Any excess creatine ingestion will not further increase muscle creatine but will simply increase urinary creatine and creatinine excretion."

Excretion of creatine by the kidneys at a rate of 1 to 2 g per day is via irreversible conversion to creatinine in skeletal muscle.

So, now to wrap this article up...

The Optimal Creatine Dosing Schedule:

First 2 days of creatine supplementation - Load with 10g, 2 times a day (20g per day)

After the loading phase of 20 g daily for 2 days, maintenance should be 2 g per day, Any extra is simply urinated out.

Only repeat the loading phase if you discontinue use for more than 28 days.

Written by Justin Frank.

References:

1. Harris RC, Soderlund K, Hultman E: Elevation of creatine in resting and exercised muscle of normal subjects by creatine supplementation. Clin Sci (Colch) 1992;83(3):367-374

2.Casey A, Constantin-Teodosiu D, Howell S, et al: Creatine ingestion favorably affects performance and muscle metabolism during maximal exercise in humans. Am J Physiol 1996;271(1 pt 1):E31-E37

3.Hultman E, Soderlund K, Timmons JA, et al: Muscle creatine loading in men. J Appl Physiol 1996;81(1):232-237

4.Vandenberghe K, Goris M, Van Hecke P, et al: Long-term creatine intake is beneficial to muscle performance during resistance training. J Appl Physiol 1997;83(6):2055-2063

5.Vandenberghe K, Van Hecke P, Van Leemputte M, et al: Phosphocreatine resynthesis is not affected by creatine loading. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999;31(2):236-242

6.Juhn MS, O'Kane JW, Vinci DM: Oral creatine supplementation in male collegiate athletes: a survey of dosing habits and side effects. J Am Diet Assoc 1999;99(5):593-595

7.Green AL, Hultman E, Macdonald IA, et al: Carbohydrate ingestion augments skeletal muscle creatine accumulation during creatine supplementation in humans. Am J Physiol 1996;271(5 pt 1):E821-E826

8.Febbraio MA, Flanagan TR, Snow RJ, et al: Effect of creatine supplementation on intramuscular TCr, metabolism and performance during intermittent, supramaximal exercise in humans. Acta Physiol Scand 1995;155(4):387-395

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you have a question in regards to this article or have any other bodybuilding questions then please register for free and ask at our bodybuilding forums

p a g e 1 |

At Large Nutrition - Your number one choice for nutritional supplements

I have a question concerning the mixing of creatine 500. It says to mix it with juice or a carb drink. Any special kinds of juice?? Is this so there are the right amount of carbs, sugars, etc mixed in with it? I know other companies claim to have all that stuff mixed in so all you do is mix it with water. But what's everyone's view on this?

Honestly, don't sweat it much. Just mix it with an 8 oz. glass of orange juice or the like.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I usually mix it with my morning shake, or just throw the powder in my mouth and wash it down with water. Juice is the best, you don't even notice it in there.

Creatine is best mixed with a high GI carb.

Personally I drink it with 50 grams of dextrose post workout.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal