Thread: what do you duders think of this routine?

Wannabebig Member

what do you duders think of this routine?

i've hit a plateau, etc.

i'm 20 years old, 6'3, 190lbs. i've been doing this routine, or stuff rather similar to it for around a year and a half. (switching dips with decline bench, dumbelll press switching with arnolds.) when i started, i was weighing in at an extremely lean 150lbs. i've definately made strength and size gains, but that's nearly stopped. i can't seem to break 190lbs or get much stronger.

monday chest/back
    bench or dumbell press 6/2
    incline bench 6/2
    dips 6/2
    pulldowns 6/2
    bent over rows 6/2
    shrugs 8/2
    deadlift 6/2

wed legs
    squats 6/2
    sldl 6/2
    hack squat 6/2
    lunges 6/2
    calf raises 6/2

fri arms/shoulders
    arnold 6/2
    extended elbow dumbell row 6/2 (i'm not sure if that's the correct name, but rather than doing a row that targets your lat with you arm parallel to your body, it runs perpendicular, targetting the back of the shoulder)
    standing barbell row 6/2
    skullcrusher 6/2
    narrow gri bench 6/2
    pushdown 6/2
    barbell curls 6/2

another slightly off topic question; what should i be doing to warm up? usually i just end up doing two sets at 50% weight of about 8 reps, then stretching. i havent been injured yet, so i guess it's fine, but am i living on the edge or is that an appropriate warm up?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxx
    i've hit a plateau, etc.

i'm 20 years old, 6'3, 190lbs. i've been doing this routine, or stuff rather similar to it for around a year and a half. (switching dips with decline bench, dumbelll press switching with arnolds.) when i started, i was weighing in at an extremely lean 150lbs. i've definately made strength and size gains, but that's nearly stopped. i can't seem to break 190lbs or get much stronger.

monday chest/back
    bench or dumbell press 6/2
    incline bench 6/2
    dips 6/2
    pulldowns 6/2
    bent over rows 6/2
    shrugs 8/2
    deadlift 6/2

wed legs
    squats 6/2
    sldl 6/2
    hack squat 6/2
    lunges 6/2
    calf raises 6/2

fri arms/shoulders
    arnold 6/2
    extended elbow dumbell row 6/2 (i'm not sure if that's the correct name, but rather than doing a row that targets your lat with you arm parallel to your body, it runs perpendicular, targetting the back of the shoulder)
    standing barbell row 6/2
    skullcrusher 6/2
    narrow gri bench 6/2
    pushdown 6/2
    barbell curls 6/2

another slightly off topic question; what should i be doing to warm up? usually i just end up doing two sets at 50% weight of about 8 reps, then stretching. i havent been injured yet, so i guess it's fine, but am i living on the edge or is that an appropriate warm up?

Could you please define 6/2? If it is what I think it is, one of the reasons you have hit a plateau is that you are likely doing too much work. Then again you might mean something different from what I think. Sets? Reps?

:withstupi

If it's 2 sets of 6 reps then I think that looks like a pretty good routine, but a novel stimulus is always good. Try something completely different like a full body routine, or add in some negatives, supersetting or just some different exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    Another question I think you should awnser is do you take any supps?
    Creatine? Protien? Colorie powders?

I once knew a body builder "moved away to ohio" who used.. get this.
    chocolait powder shake from weight watchers....

Anyhow, maybe adding creatine to your plan would help?
    Try to push your weight to the limit, add 5 or 10lb to everything.
    try to push out an extra rep or 2
    take 2 weeks off.... overtraining may be a problem, i dont know how often you do this.

as for your warmup lots of people do anywhere from 25% to 50% weight with very high reps, then stretch, some do jump rope at high pace "me" and some
    dont stretch but do a 1 or 2 rep set of thierh full weight with a lower wait
    and it works for them "my brother" and 2 of the guys who live near by
    i guess what im trying to say is that everyone is different and you must
    simply find your own thing to do that works for you.
    Seems like you been doing what works so far

as for your plateau, try adding supps, if you workout often
    take off 2 weeks or adding more weight.

Hows your diet as well?

PS. taking a multivitamin can work wonders

Wannabebig Member
    - 6/2 i meant 6 reps / 2 sets
    - i take a multi vitamin
    - diet is fairly balanced from what i understand, 40/40/20 protien/carbs/fat perhaps i need to eat a little more.
    - i'm actually cycling off of creatine for awhile. i his a plateau as i was finishing my cycle. got off it, hit that same plateau again.
    - i take glutamine/arginine twice a day
    - i just took a week off, so i guess i'll see how things go. i might end up taking a week off next week too due to switching between dorm and home life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxx
    i've been doing this routine, or stuff rather similar to it for around a year and a half.
    There's your problem right there. Change routines to something completely different for a while, and if you really like your current routine, go back to it in a few months.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    There's your problem right there. Change routines to something completely different for a while, and if you really like your current routine, go back to it in a few months.

Well consideirng this is a routine that has me doing opposing groups on the same day, what about a complimentary routine? (back/bis, chest/tris)

Banned
    I'm sure that would be fine, but I'd be inclined to make an even more drastic change. I suggest changing the number of days you go to the gym (up to 5 or 6 for a while for example) OR do something like HST where you are hitting each muscle multiple times in a week.

On a side note, I really don't like the back/bis, chest/tris split because I can't stand being so much weaker in the arm lifts. That's just personal preference though.