The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: May 2004.

May 2004. Out of shape. Let the journey begin.

I am 27, 6' 1" and currently 200 lbs (+/- 5lbs). The lightest I have been in the last 5 years was 177 lbs on Atkins (dehydrated). The heaviest was 215 lbs I think. I am posting these for my own motivation. Critique away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 05-15-2004 at 10:47 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

trekzak
    Solid base, but you need to gain some mass!

greetz,
    Ron
    I'm gonna be a HUGE mofo!

Check out my trainingslog: click here

Agreed. Stick to your core foundation exercises- deadlifts, squats, benchpress, dips, heavy dumbell presses, military press. Don't piss around with the cables too much, and don't overwork your arms (a common mistake I see alot of newbies make). Lift hard, with good form, eat like a pig, sleep lots, and get back to us in 3 months. @ 6ft 200lbs you've got a real good platform to start with. Good luck!

DJ
    = 8-->{I>
    Last edited by djreef; 05-15-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks for your thoughts buffster and djreef. Here I thought I needed to loose some fat first. Even when I played highschool sports at 6' 150 lbs I was skinny with lovehandles. Damn lovehandles. But yes my ultimate goal is to gain LBM and fill out and hopefully loose the lovehandles eventually. My bf is not too bad (but definitely not too good; 14-15%, caliper measurements chest- 12mm, abdomen-24 mm, thigh-12mm) but I carry all my fat on my torso it seems.

Add the 15-20lbs of muscle first - get strong - then get pretty! You can always add some cardio in a few months to strip out some of that subcutaneous fat. You could even do some now if you want, if you're careful not to overtrain. You don't want get into a cycle of muscle catabolism. That's spinning you're wheels, and the biggest reason behind burnout & plateaus. What I've done is combined my training with a sport that I love (softball) for cardio. It could be anything, though, basketball, raquetball, swimming, -whatever. I use my performance on the field as a guage for my training. If I hit only 1 homerun instead of 3, or I'm dragging ass on the field, then I know I prob need to cut back on my sets, or maybe skip a workout, and just sleep. You know, lighten the load during the week to aid my recovery for when I play. It gives your training purpose, outside of just trying to look good. Peace & good luck.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>

Truthfully I do not work out to look good. I do it because I feel better all around. I do not get sick, I am more energetic, and I get stronger. Granted if looking better is a side effect of the rest who am I to complain (I still have lingering body image issues left over from childhood so that is always a plus). Thanks for the advice.

Banned
    I mostly agree with the others

get a grip on your diet and try a clean bulk up to 220 or so, then lean up to appreciate your gains

your legs look fairly small for your weight and height so I'd make sure there's lots of squats and deads in there. you basically just need mass all around.

I feel small now. upper arm 15', thigh 23', calf 15.5' all flexed. Small by wbb standards, I know.

Here are a couple more pics, so that you guys get a better idea of what I have to work with. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.5 KB, 131 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.1 KB, 93 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.2 KB, 108 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (48.9 KB, 86 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (45.0 KB, 87 views)
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 05-17-2004 at 12:57 PM.

6'1" 175
    Hmm, haha... Your body reminds me a lot like how I see my own. Yet, people think I'm big and in good shape although I don't quite feel that way. I'm cutting though now, I went from 6'2 165 to 200lbs in about 4 months. I should probably bulk more, but, I dunno... Its summer time and I really want to be out in the sun. I need to put up pictures soon.

Keep this updated, I want to see the great progress you can make! It will be motivation for all of us 6 foot in shape/yet out of shape people out there.
    Last edited by Veritas; 05-18-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

You remind me of me, only I'm a little shorter, and a little less fat, a lot more hair, and less of a tan :P

Quote Originally Posted by defcon
    You remind me of me, only I'm a little shorter, and a little less fat, a lot more hair, and less of a tan :P
    You couln'd have said that you are leaner than me. No, you had to say that you are less FAT. hehe.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 05-18-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Sorry, but neither of us are very lean, we are both fat :P

Quote Originally Posted by defcon
    Sorry, but neither of us are very lean, we are both fat :P
    Can't argue with that.

6'1" 175
    You weren't lying about when you said "a lot more hair".
    Last edited by Veritas; 05-18-2004 at 05:29 PM.
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas
    You we're lying about when you said "a lot more hair".
    Huh? I said that I have a lot more hair then him :|