The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Just Derrific

Most recent transformation pics

Haven't posted in a while but here are my most recent transformation photos. Hopefully someone can use them for some motivation.

Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wow, really good progress. Why not post some info on how long it took you to get there and what you did to achieve that success.

:OMG: You look like a different person. Great job not just on the weight loss (which is great) but on the lifestyle change that got you there.

Ditto to what's been said!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I wannabebig!
    amazing.

Jay-See

That is amazing. Mad props.
    Current Weight: 155lbs (started: 151 lbs)
    16 Years old
    My weight fluctuation breakdown:
    Age 14-15 170lbs
    Age 15-16 149-151lbs
    Age 16-17 (hopefully!) 170lbs

Lean, mean fighting machine!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

great job dude...really amazing
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

whoa!

great job man!

Youve gotta be feeling 100x better!

Awesome job!

Procrastinator
    How, and how long?

You look like a totally different person.

That looks like the before/after for one of those BFL ads. Awesome job!!!!

DJ
    = 8-->{I>

yes he looks totally different, and its awesome. great job dude.
    Age - 20
    Height - 6'2"
    Weight - 175 (starting weight 140)
    Squat - 275 x 8
    Deadlift - 225 x 8
    Bench - 135 x 8

Just Derrific
    I appreciate all the responses. I'm looking to get down to 8-9%BF with my current cutt. I weighed in at 168 this morning. Last time had BF checked was right at 10/w calipers so realistically probally in the 12-13% range.

Here is a breif overview.

My weight loss wasn't an overnight thing, and I wasn't always a whopping 260lbs. In High School I was a chubby guy, but certinaly not the OMG fat kid, I came in around 205-210lbs. Now at my height 5' 7" that's not skinny, it's just well.... chubby. I played football, baseball etc.. and this is the ONLY thing that kept me from blowing up. My eating habits were HORRIBLE in high school... i ate anything and everything I saw. Most of the time only 2 meals a day plus junk at night. After High School, my habits only got worse. I went to college and continued skipping breakfast most of the time, and even lunch. Typically I just ate like a pig when I got in at night. Over the course of 3 yrs I blew up to 260+lbs. I never even really realized how big I got until now when I see pictures and say damn! I was that big!

So lets get to the why. Why did I decide to loose weight, was I unhappy? yes and no, I had a beautiful girlfriend, good job, good life....why loose weight? Well the initial reason was a very scary one. One morning in December of 2001 I woke up to a throbing, burning, chest pain...I couldn’t breath, my heart was beating a million times a minute. I thought...Im gonna have a heart attack and Im only 21yrs old. So I go to the ER and they hook me up to all these machines. Turns out my hearts fine...so given my symptoms they pre-diagnose me with Acid Reflux. My doctor sends me back to the Hospital a week later for some testing to confirm. Yes you have GERD's with Esphengitus. She sat me down and talked to me about foods that cause GERD's and foods to avoid. She also told me that by NOT eating you can cause greater heartburn....remember I didn't eat breakfast/lunch.... So I made my choice right then and there..I went cold turkey on all the crap I used to eat and started eating more often. No more soft drinks no more junk food, I went to eating a lot more clean, lots of sandwhiches etc.. still not great...but nonetheless better. Over the course of the next 3-4 months I lost 25lbs give or take, just from that one simple diet change. No extra exercise no amazing pills, just a simple diet change of cutting out crap.

In June of 2002 I went to the beach with some of my friends who work out regularly at this time I weighed around 233-235lbs. We would go out to the pool or out on the beach and they would be looking great and then theres me...Derek the guy afraid to take his shirt off because he has such a nice 235lbs sexy body. Honestly I envied them, I saw the way people looked at them differently. So I decided I wanted to do something about it. When we got back I farted around with the idea of going to the gym for about 2 months. Finally in September of 2002 I joined up at Golds Gym with my friend Brent (who already worked out there and went to the beach with me earlier). I began to read, read, read, read all I could about diets, food, etc...On my first (hard cutt)...now let me explian real quick a hard cutt is little to no cheating just for reference. Anyways, after my research I determined that a CKD was best for me. It worked wonders for me, the weight came off quickly and my beginer gains were excellent. I didn't loose hardly any muscle mass...and through my personal experience I feel like a large part of how much muscle mass you will loose while dieting is determined by genetics and workout routine. I feel I have great genetics I believe it runs throughout my family. My brother was a professional power lifter on the national level back in the early 90’s and my dad was a Triple A baseball player for many years..not to mention other amazing athelete's in my family.

More about my CKD. I lost the first 50-60lbs using this method...I highly reccomend a low carb diet such as this for someone weight traning who has a lot of weight to loose. Durning this period I went from 235 30%BF down to around 185 and 16-17%BF from September 02 to May of 03. Durning the week I would eat less then 50net grams of carbs a day. I stuck with canned chicken, Canned tuna, and when I ate carbs they were tyipcally green veggie's. On the weekends I would enduldge in carbs but not overly..in moderation. At this stage in my diet I didn't count my calories on paper only in my head. I watched my portions and ate within my means. As time progressed I became more calorie and nutrion conceious about my foods as the weight progressed downward.

My workout routine durning this time period wasn't all that different from now. I lifted 5 days a week and did (moderate)cardio almost everyday except Sunday for 25-30mins. Sometimes I would have dual cardio sessions one morning and one at night. I honestly look back and think my weight loss would have been faster had I taken in more calories with all the cardio. I know I wasn’t taking in as many as I should have. Probablly around 1500-1700 or so and this is when I weighed 200+.

In May of 2003 we went back to the beach almost a year later from my fire starting trip and I was 50lbs lighter, hell I was in a LOT different shape this time around. I saw a huge difference in my appearance but I still wasn’t where I wanted to be. However, I needed a break from hard core dieting for a while in a solid year I had probablly lost 60-70lbs and put on some decent muscle. So when we got back I ate what I wanted for a few weeks. I was amazed at how much my strength improved. I read, and read more about good nutrion etc.. and just basically tried to maintain and gain some muscle. I ended up gaining some muscle and loosing some bodyfat. From June of 03 to November of 03 I went from 185-18%-19%bf down to 170-173 14-15%bf. I did this by calorie cycling. I would diet hard for a week with a split 40/40/20 then indulge on the weekends, obvoiusly in moderation. So my calories would look something like 1800, 2000, 1600, 1800 then on a weekend it may have shot up to 2800 or so. During this period I still lifted 5 days a week, however my cardio was much less...strategic...Sometimes Id do it 3 days a week other times 5 times...sometimes only once or twice a week. I ate what I wanted but still tried to keep it healty (low GI carbs) with still a big intake on protien.

Which leads me to my current cutt...I think I've gotten everything I can out of cycling my calories...my bf has sorta stagnated... I didn't want to go back to the CKD diet simply because thats not how I want to live and frankly I want to do my best to keep all the muscle I can and I LIKE MY CARBS. I've simply cutt my calories on the weekends and upped the cardio again to 6 days a week. I still do weight traning 6 days a week, one bodypart per day. Cardio typically consists of 15-20min warm up before weights....now I know everyone says cardio AFTER weights so you can use up your glycogen on weights. I was an advocate of this from the begining, however I've found that a brief moderate cardio warm up gets my energy levels much higher for a better weight traning workout. Anyways, I typically do 15-20 before and 20 after my workout. Diet is a pretty standard 40/40/20 split with around 1800-2000 calories a day. I just recently went back to the beach in 2004 a few months earlier then last years trip as you can see in the pictures. I'm currently at about 170-12%BF or so. Cutting down to 8-10%. I watch my ratio's etc.. I've leaned so much over the last 2yrs about diets and nutrition.

Derek

awesome transformation, inspirational
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Just Derrific
    A few more photos...here is a real good idea of how fat I got in this photo followed by some progression photos.

Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amazing work. Congrats on the transformation.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Go Nets
    holy crap! awesome!

Wannabebig Member
    Amazing transformation....truly inspirational!

Wannabebig Member

great job

hard work hard work hard work. i have a friend that needs to learn from your post. congrats and keep lifting

Wannabebig New Member
    Hey good job man.

I was in a similar situation, as I've lost about 60 lbs. However, I find that I have a bunch of skin leftover, and from the pictures it looks like you don't suffer from this. Any methods you used? tips?

Thanks

its not the same person the bottom pic has red eyes and the top has brown..

lol, gj mann

Looks like your skins bounced back real nice. You're one of the lucky ones.

Keep up the good work.