The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

why no carbs at night?

I know it's newb question. And no, I didn't search this forum or the net.

Is it ok to eat lots of carbs at night if bulking?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benson
    I know it's newb question. And no, I didn't search this forum or the net.

Is it ok to eat lots of carbs at night if bulking?
    Yes, just don't go overboard. Make sure it's just another regular meal, just like one of the 5-6 you eat during a given day.
    Last edited by SalahG; 05-13-2004 at 12:58 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    what happens if you eat a lot at night? Is 40-50g of carbs too much at night?

What if you eat like 100g and then sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Benson
    what happens if you eat a lot at night? Is 40-50g of carbs too much at night?

What if you eat like 100g and then sleep?
    Well, it'll be hard to go to sleep with 100g of carbs going in to your system half an hour before you hit the sack. A good night time meal while bulking would be a bowl of cottage cheese, some natty peanut butter, and a cup of whole milk. In the end it all really depends on your body and your daily caloric input and output. If your input is more than your output, with a sufficient amount of protein, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by SalahG; 05-13-2004 at 01:14 AM.

The theory is that the carbs will be converted to fat since they're not being used for energy.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

As long as you are staying within your daily allowance then there is no problem. I find it important to take carbs before I sleep as I usually train later in the evening. Remember that while you are asleep your body is fasting for eight hours. It is also recovering from your trainining session so it will need to carbs for its energy requirements and also to make sure that the protein is used towards muscle building and repair instead of enery utilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    The theory is that the carbs will be converted to fat since they're not being used for energy.
    The theory is incorrect.

1. The body does not convert significant amounts of carbs to fat, excluding certain unusual situations (very low fat diet, very high fructose/sucrose consumption, medical conditions, ...). The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2&dopt=Abstract found that when subjects ate a diet with a 50% caloric surplus of carbohydrates, less than 5g of fat per day was created via DNL (converting carbs to fat).

It is possible for the glyogen stores to fill up, but this requires very extreme conditions. Acheson did a carbohydrate overfeeding expeirment where the subjects started at ~3600 calories and increased progressively to ~5000 calories over the course of 7 days. Before a significant amount of carb to fat conversion occurred, glycogen storage increased to an average of 810 grams over the usual ~500 grams (bodybuilders have larger glygogen storage capacity than average persons). Acheson concluded that the body can handle periodic loads of 2000 calories of overfeeding carbs without significant conversion to fat and to maintain continued conversion of fat, one must continue to massively overfeed carbs, like they did in the study.

2. The body continues to use carbs/glycogen for energy (and recovery) while sleeping. After an overnight fast, liver glycogen levels may be nearly empty.

3. You may be slightly less insulin sensitive at night, but this will probably have little significant consequence. Your calorie balance will be the major factor determining your fat gain. Skipping carbs at night may interfere with recovery and do more harm than good.

I usually eat over 100g of carbs in my 10pm meal and over 60g of carbs in snacks between this meal and my breakfast. While following this diet, I have been able to maintain a low body fat when bulking.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-13-2004 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    Well, it'll be hard to go to sleep with 100g of carbs going in to your system half an hour before you hit the sack.
    I can sleep at anytime usually. I think I'm sleep deficient.

Mr.Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    The theory is incorrect.

1. The body does not convert significant amounts of carbs to fat, excluding certain unusual situations (very low fat diet, very high fructose/sucrose consumption, medical conditions, ...). The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...2&dopt=Abstract found that when subjects ate a diet with a 50% caloric surplus of carbohydrates, less than 5g of fat per day was created via DNL (converting carbs to fat).

It is possible for the glyogen stores to fill up, but this requires very extreme conditions. Acheson did a carbohydrate overfeeding expeirment where the subjects started at ~3600 calories and increased progressively to ~5000 calories over the course of 7 days. Before a significant amount of carb to fat conversion occurred, glycogen storage increased to an average of 810 grams over the usual ~500 grams (bodybuilders have larger glygogen storage capacity than average persons). Acheson concluded that the body can handle periodic loads of 2000 calories of overfeeding carbs without significant conversion to fat and to maintain continued conversion of fat, one must continue to massively overfeed carbs, like they did in the study.

2. The body continues to use carbs/glycogen for energy (and recovery) while sleeping. After an overnight fast, liver glycogen levels may be nearly empty.

3. You may be slightly less insulin sensitive at night, but this will probably have little significant consequence. Your calorie balance will be the major factor determining your fat gain. Skipping carbs at night may interfere with recovery and do more harm than good.

I usually eat over 100g of carbs in my 10pm meal and over 60g of carbs in snacks between this meal and my breakfast. While following this diet, I have been able to maintain a low body fat when bulking.
    Good Post!!

Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    The theory is incorrect.
    Like I said, theory.

I never said I believed in it.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee