Thread: Chins, Dips and Leg Press !

Chins, Dips and Leg Press !

I decided to stop with 'exotic' method and start a powerlifting cycle based on Chins, Dips and Leg Press !

A) My cycle :

Cycle's type : Linear
    Starting weight : 70% of 1RM
    Frequency per exercise : Twice per week for Chins and Dips (in fact one time 'normal' chins/dips and one time negative chins/dips and Once a week Leg Press
    Increaments : +5% (1x +2.5%)
    Length of the cycle : 8 weeks
    Estimated gains : +8kg on Chins/Dips and +10kg on Leg Press
    Assistance work : nothing, eventualy calves and arms (curl/extension) once every two weeks for 1 set.

B) Weights for the 8 weeks :

1) Chins/Dips :

Best performance : BW+51kg (BW = 71kg) = 122kg.

Weight : 70%-72.5-75-80-85-90-95-1RM+8kg
    (BW = 70kg) the 8 workouts : 85-88-92-97-104-110-116-130kg

2) Negative Chins/Dips :

Best performance : BW+71kg (BW= 71kg) = 142kg

Weight : 70%-72.5-75-80-85-90-95-1RM+8kg
    (BW = 70kg) the 8 workouts : 99-103-106-113-120-128-135-150kg

3) Leg Press :

Best performance : 1x195kg

Weight : 70%-72.5-75-80-85-90-95-1RM+10kg
    The 8 workouts : 135-140-145-155-165-175-185-205

C) Routine* :

Monday : Chins/Dips
    Friday : Negative Chins / Negative Dips
    Saturday : Leg Press

*If I'm too tired one day I'll report training to the next day. I cannot do leg press on wednesday so...

D) SETS and REPS :

70-72.5-75 : 2x10
    80-85 : 2x5
    90-95 : 3x2
    10X : 1x1 + 1x1 (I'll try with more weight than what I estimated on the second single)

-----------

I start tomorrow !!!
    Last edited by Gavan; 05-15-2004 at 06:39 PM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Leg Press : 3x10x135kg
    assistance work : calves : 2-3 sets
    some ABS work

that's it ! Easy workout ! (it's why I did 3 sets insteed of 2 but I'll do 2 sets next time)
    Last edited by Gavan; 05-16-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Chins : 1x10xBW+15kg* in superset with Dips : 1x10xBW+15kg
    Chins : 1x10xBW+15kg in superset with Dips : 1x10xBW+15kg
    Assistance work : 1x12x40kg Curl/Extension

I took no reste between chins and dips I thought it would be easy, in fact it was hard.... after doing only singles for weeks It was not easy to do 10 reps even with lgiht weights. I'll need more time between sets the next workout.

* I put 15kg on my dipping belt which weights 1kg so it's 16kg in fact !

damn bro this is a interesting training method..have you ever done a regular routine or is your body a product of just weighted dips and chin? Good luck

I did many others exercices before, I stoped all of them to do only chins and bench press in early 2004 and now I switched to Dips and Chins only (I only do curl and extension once every 2 weeks or less).

I believe Chins and Dips are enough for most upper body muscles. After a few cycles we will see if it works or not !

where did you get this routine? it really depends on what "enough" means. what do you want to do with your strength? i honestly think you should just go with proven routines if you want to be well rounded. leg presses are horrible... why dont you squat instead? and what are you going to do for your hamstrings?

and why do you consider this a "powerlifting" routine? powerlifting, to me is bench/deadlift/squat...
    Last edited by debussy; 05-17-2004 at 03:57 PM.

It looks like a powerlifting routine (a cycle), but the exercices are different. I looked at powerlifters routine and imagined this one. The only thing which is 'special' is the negative work.
    I did Squat and Deadlift before and injuried lower back. Most people I know who went heavy on Squat and Dead have now serious lower back problem. It's why I decided to stop and to do only Leg Press which work quads and hams.
    I have ever been very weak at the bench press so I do dips insteed and I'm still very weak compared to chins or barbell row.

By enough I meant enough to build huge lats, chest, shoulders and arms ! Maybe not 'enough' for traps, I don't realy care. Also Chins and Dips are the only exercices that allow me to train in Negative Only Style and I believe it's the most efficient form of training.

Negative Chins : 1x10xBW+29kg then Negative Dips : 1x10xBW+29kg
    Negative Chins : 1x10xBW+29kg then Negative Dips : 1x10xBW+29kg
    Assistance work : nothing

I took 5-10min between sets. It was easy on dips not so easy on chins ! I completed the first of the 8 weeks !

Leg Press : 2x10x140kg easy
    Assistance Work :
    Leg Curl 2 sets
    Mollets 1xMAX (full stack)
    ABS machine 2 sets

----------------

When I'll finish this cycle I'll test something I ever wanted to test. A sort of 'Maximum Intensity Training'. I'll finish my cycle with one MAximum Single and insteed of restart a new cycle I'll continue for 2 weeks with 1 single per lift only.

If I finish my cycle with 1xBW+55kg on chins, I'll try 1xBW+56kg the next week and continue as long as it works !
    Last edited by Gavan; 05-22-2004 at 07:52 AM.

Your method of training still seems 'exotic' to me hehe. Anyways it looks interesting. I will say one thing though, in your sig you say "Genetics play a major role in weight training". I agree 100% with that, but have you ever considered that all your gains are due to your genetic potential and not your superior training? What am I saying is, maybe your training isn't so superior and your superior genetics are responsible for the progress you have made. I really really think you would see better gains working out differently.

It's like those guys who refuse to do direct arm work, it works for them but that's only due to there genetics IMO. I feel that direct work for all of the major muscle groups would bring better results. Goodluck.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 05-22-2004 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks for your comments ! I never said my training is 'superior' I did a lot of errors, maybe you are right my gains are more due to genetic than proper training. But my gains aren't that good either.

If I do only a few exercices it's because I like Chins and Dips and because I believe you can build (nearly) maximum upper body strength/muscles with these 2 exercises`and that adding others exercices is nothing but overlap ! BTW I do curl and extension once a while because I love to train arms.

Muscular growth is a matter of tension, and with Negative Chins and Dips I have a super tension on my muscles much more than what I can achieve with others exercices in positive/negative classical style.
    --------------------------

What do you propose, what kind of training for which progress ?

2nd Upper Body Workout : (easy workout)

Dips : 2x10xBW+19kg
    Chins : 2x10xBW+19kg
    Assistance work : Curl/Extension 1x15x46kg.

Assistance work was not as easy as the Chins/Dips... !

3rd Legs workout :

Leg Press : 2x10x145 and 1x10x150 (I thought I had only 140kg for the first 2 sets so I added 5kg but in fact I already had 145kg...)

Assistance work :
    Calves : 1x15x full stack
    ABS machine : a few sets

The Leg Press was not disponible for a long time... so I did a few sets on different machines.

---------------

It was a very easy workout. I realy did a BIG error when I chose the weights for my cycle. I looked at Powerlifting routines and saw most of them start with 60-70% of their 1RM so I did the same thing. BUT for someone 'normal' 60% = ~20RM and 70% ~15RM for me it doesn't work like that, 70% is more like my 35-40RM !!! So I started WAY TOO LIGHT, except for legs that I didn't train for month before starting the cycle.

It's why I decided to change a little bit the cycle because I trained too light and was losing strength. Here are the changes :

I stop positive training for upper body, I'll just do a test at the end of the cycle. It makes me feel tried, drained and I believe negative only training to be superior ! That's also a good way to test the value of Negative Only Training. I'll continue the cycle with 66kg attached and add 3kg every workout (2x per week).

NEW ROUTINE :

Monday : Negative Chins/Dips (69kg)
    Thuesday : Assistance work for Upper Body (negative Curl/Extension)
    Wednesday : rest or grip work
    Thirsday: Negative Chins/Dips
    Friday : Assistance work for Upper Body (negative Curl/Extension)
    Saturday : Leg Press + assistance work
    Sunday : rest or grip work

It's more fun for me because I can train more often, Training is realy like a drug, one day without IRON and I feel bad

* I do a few singles until I cannot do fight anymore with the weight and fall ! I did a few workouts up to 10x1xBW+66kg on chins and dips (only 9 reps on chins).
    Last edited by Gavan; 05-29-2004 at 02:32 PM.

I stoped the cycle for upper body, I didn't gain..... I continue for legs it seems it work.

Now I do ANIMAL TRAINING I'll report my workouts in my first journal, Gavan's journal !