Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Pet Peeves

unemployed college grad jimlynch11's Avatar

Lifting Pet Peeves

Ok I need a place to vent some gym-related frustration, and figured what better a place than here. Why doesn't everyone list pet peeves they have about gyms, gym-goers, lifting, eating, etc.

The reason I came up with this idea is because someone at the gym today embodied the four things that frustrate me most in a public gym:

1) Person clearly began weightlifting less than a month ago. Wears a wife beater and spends all day in front of the mirrors getting in the way of the weights.

2) Person who wears lifting gloves on nautilus machines.

3) Flip flops in the gym. Do you have a brain in your head?

4) People who make that annoying hissing noise when they are lifting, you know, the one that sounds like you're letting the air out of a tire. I know some people grunt and breath heavy to get through a tough set, but there is no benefit to making this noise other than attracting attention to yourself.

Sorry in advance if this includes anyone here haha.
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 175 lbs.
    Phase: Bulking UP

this will go on the stack of 4000 gym frustration threads

we feel your pain man. The world is full of stupid people.

How about people who are overly critical of other people and think they are god's gift?

Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11
    4) People who make that annoying hissing noise when they are lifting, you know, the one that sounds like you're letting the air out of a tire. I know some people grunt and breath heavy to get through a tough set, but there is no benefit to making this noise other than attracting attention to yourself.
    If you don't do this, you're not lifting heavy enough.

:withstupi
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    this will go on the stack of 4000 gym frustration threads

we feel your pain man. The world is full of stupid people.
    Guess I should've searched first...oh well, im a n00b around here sorry.

And no, in no way do I think I am God's gift.
    Last edited by jimlynch11; 05-06-2004 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11
    5) People who don't know that this is exactly how you are supposed to breath on a heavy rep. This is so you don't expel all your air at once and lose all core tightness and all of a sudden lose control of the weight due to the loss of stability.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    At my gym there is a lot of Losers. At night alot of white kids dress up like their black, blaring rap music in the head phones, wearing backwards and sideways hates.
    The best part about it I was doing an Ab machine and I was done one of them came over, all cocky , asked me if I was done, I said ya, he walks over, gets on the machine and doesnt change the wieght, tries his first time and fails, I snickered a little n he got pist lol. He kept watching me the whole time I was there, he left early then I did, but boy ewas I scared to goto my car. Didnt want to get gunned down.I tried to find someone alot bigger then me to walk outside with but couldnt.
    I went outside and he was gone.
    But whats up with that ?
    People who have been lifting for years n years shouldnt be afriad of kids 10x smaller then me.
    Ill keep my mouth shut next time. lol

That story would have been funnier if you had said "squat rack" instead of "ab machine".
    Last edited by Max-Mex; 05-06-2004 at 09:28 AM.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    5) People who don't know that this is exactly how you are supposed to breath on a heavy rep. This is so you don't expel all your air at once and lose all core tightness and all of a sudden lose control of the weight due to the loss of stability.
    I stand corrected.

However, is this necessary to do on every single rep, of every single set, while doing low-weight, high-rep lateral raises?

I don't, but some people make it a habit to breath that way all the time.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    That story would have been more funny if you had said squat rack instead of ab machine.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Banned
    well I didnt want to stretch the truth. But I see your point.

Its a bloody hard ab mahcine too

People who post to many polls on lifting boards.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Well, I'm learning to breathe correctly during certain lifts, so I *could* be one of those people.

heh.

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Cell phones. Please. Unless you're a doctor/nurse/other person who needs to be on-call, your cell phone can be safely left in the locker. I don't need it ringing next to me while I'm trying to squat. Jerk.

Also, people who look at me funny when I talk to the squat rack. What's with that?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

When people ask the "Why are you doing that?" type questions, nothing pisses me off more than that. Also if people are giving me weird looks for doing cleans or snatches, doesn't really piss me off, but it gets annoying.

6'1" 175
    Young kids on juice always make me jealous... and makes me want to start juicing too :-p
    Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f**king big television.

I've worn sandals in the gym, got kicked out once too. why do you care?
    Arnold lifted barefoot. I used to lift foot at home when my gym was in the laundry room, know that its in the basement I wear shoes or sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    When people ask the "Why are you doing that?" type questions, nothing pisses me off more than that.
    I actually don't mind when they ask. If I can help someone learn something new, it makes me feel good. Like yesterday, I was doing hack squats and this guy asked me what I was doing and what it was for. So I gave him a quick lesson and he was much appreciative.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    I actually don't mind when they ask. If I can help someone learn something new, it makes me feel good. Like yesterday, I was doing hack squats and this guy asked me what I was doing and what it was for. So I gave him a quick lesson and he was much appreciative.
    Well in that case I don't mind. I was reffering to people who ask me the exact same question but in a 'know it all', 'you're so stupid for doing the exercise' type manner.

People on cardio at the slowest pace possible because they are either
    1-on the cell phone
    2-talking with their friend beside them
    3-reading the paper

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    People who post to many polls on lifting boards.
    aw leave ogar alone!
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    aw leave ogar alone!
    Do you think that i start the most polls?...i think not! there has to be a way to check..if i am i will impose a 60 day self ban on making any polls

Quote Originally Posted by SalahG
    Well in that case I don't mind. I was reffering to people who ask me the exact same question but in a 'know it all', 'you're so stupid for doing the exercise' type manner.
    EXACTLY. Especially people that ask me why i do 20 rep squats or give me recommendations that sound ridiculous. ie. you should do 10 sets of 10 for squats...OKAY!!! or DLs dont do anything. You should just do hyperextensions. OKAY!!
    High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.