Thread: Advice Needed - Here's my story...

Advice Needed - Here's my story...

rimuova
    Last edited by frankm007; 06-17-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Yo Frank!!
    Damn, you definitely made alotta progess... props to that!!
    Sorry about your injury man but i guess it's something that you're prone to in this sport. I'm sure with your motivation and drive you'll overcome this and get even BIGGER!
    Last edited by donraja; 05-19-2004 at 09:02 PM.

First off, congrats! I've told you before, Frank, but you've made awesome progress. I personally think you're being too hard on yourself. With that out of the way, what's wrong with your back? Have you seen a doctor about it? You first need to know exactly where you stand before you can move on. I also think that no physique goal is worth putting your long term interests in danger. So...give us more info!
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Yes, you can accomplish that goal. Keep on doing what works, within the limits set by your doctor with respect to your back injury.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

First, scoliosis should not hamper your weight training to any great degree. In fact, more than one of the great deadlifting powerlifters of all time have had the same ailment but probably to a greater degree than you. Vince Anello pulled over 800 lbs at under 200 lbs and he had fairly pronounced scoliosis.

Next, I had a similar problem when I was 19 or 20. My symptoms were very similar to yours. I worked through it by finding exercises I could perform which minimally aggravated my back. When it was at its worst I finally had a chiropractor work on me. I went to about 6-8 sessions and they really helped. My insurance would not cover any more than that so I just found ways to rehabilitate myself.

There were exercises I needed to avoid. For example, leg presses really bothered the injury while squats (believe it or not) were much better (not in the beginning, a bit later on). My back would tighten up for several days after I trained with the squats, but I could tell I was not further injuring myself, just flaring up the area a bit.

Without getting overly long winded, find the exercises which bother your back the least and perform them hard and heavy. Take extra care to protect your back when training.

Basically, I gradually worked my way back to heavy training. In the beginning, I pretty much only did movements which supported my back and did not perform squats. Whatever exercises I did perform I trained with great intensity. Gradually, over time, I was able to re-introduce exercises such as squats and t-bar rows.

You might only be able to use machines in the beginning, but so what? Just make sure you get stronger with those machines. Your back will heal and you will be able to return to heavy training with free weights.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris and/or Paul, what do you guys think about using an HST routine to help him accomplish his goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Chris and/or Paul, what do you guys think about using an HST routine to help him accomplish his goals?
    Not a bad idea.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Hey Frank, I've gone through very similar stuff myself. I've also got scoliosis (lost 75% of the curvature in my lower back) and have gone through the herniated disc thing too. I can deadlift as long as the form is spot on, but if it isn't I end up hurting myself, so I don't do it very often. I don't squat either for the same reasons. There's no reason why you can't attain your goals without doing those exercises.

I began a HST routine about 8 weeks ago and have found it to be great - you build up to your max weights every 2 weeks and that's a great way to train if you've got any easily aggrivated injuries. I've put on about 10 lbs on it so far with a week to go.

p.s. before any workouts which you think might make your lower back pain flare up, take some Ibuprofen to prevent inflammation.
    Last edited by aidano; 05-21-2004 at 08:23 AM.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by frankm007
    thank u chris..so u had a herniated disc too? and overcame it...

Absolutely, and you can too!

Are you in your early 20s? If so, that only helps.

Let me give you a list of exercises which you may be able to do without back discomfort.

1) Any sort of machine press
    2) Any sort of machine curl
    3) Any sort of machine triceps exercise
    4) A machine squat (you know, where your back is supported and you are sliding in a horizontal fashion). You should be able to do these without excessive discomfort.
    5) Chinups
    6) Dips
    7) Rows where your chest is supported and you do not excessively arch your back to get the last few reps (keep that chest planted).
    8) Machine lateral raises
    9) Barbell flat or incline presses.

I am sure there are others, but you can get a very satisfactory workout with just what I have listed above.

You can train with lower reps and heavy resistance just as long as you do not excessively involve your lower back by trying to cheat up the last few reps.

Train like this for several months and then maybe try some light squats. Analyze your form and try to correct any flaws which may have lead to the injury before you do. Make sure to start out very light and GRADUALLY work yourself back into heavy squats (over the course of several workouts).

YOU JUST NEED TO REALIZE THAT YOU WILL HAVE TO TRAIN WITH ALTERNATIVE EXERCISES FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WHICH WILL NOT STRESS YOUR LOWER BACK. PERFORMING THESE EXERCISES DOES NOT PRECLUDE INCREASED SIZED AND STRENGTH. AS LONG AS YOU TRAIN PROGRESSIVELY YOU CAN ADD SIZE AND STRENGTH. THIS WILL HELP TO HEAL YOUR LOWER BACK. MAKE SURE TO CONSUME PLENTY OF PROTEIN AND REST THAT BACK ON OFF DAYS.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

bulking again
    Were u flexxing in those pics?
    Last edited by toughguywannabe; 05-22-2004 at 02:22 AM.