Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint Pain for younger lifters?

Joint Pain for younger lifters?

I am kind of curious about this ...

My younger brother, who is almost 16 was told by his health teacher not to start doing much more than bodyweight exercises or use light weights because his joints hadn't fully developed yet. I guess it's different than the "stunt your growth" bull, but is there a real need for younger kids to not lift "heavy" weights because their joints need to develop more?

You answer your own question in your post.

Its total BS. Get him started now and he will thank you when he turns 20. I didn't really get serious until I was 19 and I will forever regret not starting earlier.

but why do u think most gyms have an age limit before u can join :-D
    PROFILE, COMMENT PLZ
    My Journal

Insurance/contract /maturity issues.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I wannabebig!
    :withstupi

it doesnt apply to everybody.. i.e. there are people that are done growing when they hit age 15. it is a better idea to use only bodyweight exercises until you get older (for joint/ other issues that come with growing) but it's real hard for a lot of us younger people because you can never reach your full potential or actually be training the correct way when your recommended to not lift more than 150 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    it doesnt apply to everybody.. i.e. there are people that are done growing when they hit age 15. it is a better idea to use only bodyweight exercises until you get older (for joint/ other issues that come with growing) but it's real hard for a lot of us younger people because you can never reach your full potential or actually be training the correct way when your recommended to not lift more than 150 pounds
    The results are mixed, most in favor of growth stunt. I only know two people who continued to grow after they started lifting at a young age, and that's only because they didn't lift as seriously as the others.

It's true. It's not total BS. If you're one of the people who stop growing at age 15, by all means do it. But I don't know anyone that stopped growing at age 15 unless they started lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    The results are mixed, most in favor of growth stunt. I only know two people who continued to grow after they started lifting at a young age, and that's only because they didn't lift as seriously as the others.

It's true. It's not total BS. If you're one of the people who stop growing at age 15, by all means do it. But I don't know anyone that stopped growing at age 15 unless they started lifting.
    Please don't tell me you are saying that lifting at a young age will stunt growth. PLEASE!

Do a quick search here for "stunt growth."
    Last edited by NateDogg; 05-20-2004 at 04:09 PM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Quote Originally Posted by NateDogg
    Please don't tell me you are saying that lifting at a young age will stunt growth. PLEASE!

Do a quick search here for "stunt growth."
    It depends. If you lift light weights, not really. But who's going to lift light weights? They all go heavy. At a young age, a lot of pressure on any body part prevents full growth. That's just a given fact.

When you start lifting weights, you make a lot of mistakes. I don't know anyone, even someone who starts with a trainer, that doesn't make a load of errors lifting. I started lifting when I was 18. I'm now 26. Looking back, I probably could've grown taller if I didn't lift at 18, but I wanted to look the best as I possibly can at my peak age (20-30) so being 6', it was now or never. That's the only reason why I started at 18.

I have many weightlifting friends, and I don't even want to get into their stories.

If you lift lightly and moderately with perfect form, it won't stunt your growth. But if you lift heavy with bad form, which 90% of everyone does the first year, that will stunt your growth.

When I tell this to teens, they all usually tell me one of three things.

1. "I talked to my trainer and he told me that's just a bodybuilding myth. He's certified in this stuff."

2. "I talked to my doctor and he said the results vary so I'm going to take my chances."

3. "I'm different. I'll do it properly. Don't worry. My form is great yadda yadda yadda."

If his joints start to hurt, tell him to start supplementing glucosamine HCL about 1500-2000mg a day. that should help out a lot. go head and have him start lifting, at 16 years old i doubt he's going to get to a heavy enough weight to do any real damage anyways.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    lifting before determinant growth has nothing to do w/ how heavy u can lift. our bones release MORE GH when u put pressure on bones (ppl who lift early actually get taller and have denser bones). remember, astronauts who come back from space (zero gravity) come back w/ bone problems, b/c the lack of pressure/stress on the bones decreased their GH levels, so when they come back, their bones are super weak.

the joint problems have more to do w/ tendonitis, whcih is very common. tendonitis isn't from joint damage, but rather, nerve end damage from joint movement (nerve endings will grow back).
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Quote Originally Posted by PiKappaWRX
    If his joints start to hurt, tell him to start supplementing glucosamine HCL about 1500-2000mg a day. that should help out a lot. go head and have him start lifting, at 16 years old i doubt he's going to get to a heavy enough weight to do any real damage anyways.
    ibuprofen is preferred more first, before lifting (it works only as a prophylactic, not after the pain has come); like u said, most young ppl do not develop joint damage, only joint pain, from nerve damage.
    if soembody do develop joint damage, yea, glucosamine, cod liver oil, and other supplements would help. i got my left elbow joint messed up from bad skull crushing form, but after taking time off and supping w/ cod liver oil, its recovered and doesnt' hurt anymore
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin

lifted since march 2000

It depends. If you lift light weights, not really. But who's going to lift light weights? They all go heavy. At a young age, a lot of pressure on any body part prevents full growth. That's just a given fact.

***Well, many hundreds of times more pressure can result from jumping off a wall or doing any number of other things that kids do. Controlled lifting is not going to stunt ones growth as the forces are no where near equal to just regular being a kid stuff. Beyond that, the only way lifting, or any other activity is going to stunt ones growth is if a serious injury occurs. If such an injury were to occur, the growth would be stunted in the area that was injured. Meaning, one arm shorter than the other, etc.

When you start lifting weights, you make a lot of mistakes. I don't know anyone, even someone who starts with a trainer, that doesn't make a load of errors lifting. I started lifting when I was 18. I'm now 26. Looking back, I probably could've grown taller if I didn't lift at 18, but I wanted to look the best as I possibly can at my peak age (20-30) so being 6', it was now or never. That's the only reason why I started at 18.

***Sure, lots of mistakes are made, if one is not taught properly. Proper teaching and supervision begets proper form. Again, you most certainly would not have grown taller no matter what lifting you did.

I have many weightlifting friends, and I don't even want to get into their stories.

***Unless they incurred serious injuries, whatever their "stories" are, they would not have been different had they not lifted.

If you lift lightly and moderately with perfect form, it won't stunt your growth. But if you lift heavy with bad form, which 90% of everyone does the first year, that will stunt your growth.

***No it will not.

When I tell this to teens, they all usually tell me one of three things.

1. "I talked to my trainer and he told me that's just a bodybuilding myth. He's certified in this stuff."

2. "I talked to my doctor and he said the results vary so I'm going to take my chances."

3. "I'm different. I'll do it properly. Don't worry. My form is great yadda yadda yadda."

***The trainer in this case is 100% correct.
    Seriously, do a search, this has been discussed here ad nauseum and no one has ever been able to cite an actual case where weight training has stunted growth. It is simply not the case.
    Last edited by NateDogg; 05-20-2004 at 09:13 PM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

hey pikappawrx.. have you ever used that stuff? and if so does it work well.

Stunt growth?!?! This is rediculous.
    "Color outside the lines"

I don't even feel like typing everything up. I've responded to a lot of these kinda threads. After a while, it just gets exhausting answering the same questions over and over, and knowing what's going to be asked next.

It's just my opinion from 8 years of lifting and 10 years of talking to amateurs and pros.

if he doesn't train with proper form then of course he will have some kind of damage done to him...

I started when I was 15
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

It's just my opinion from 8 years of lifting and 10 years of talking to amateurs and pros.
    amateur and professionals are not physiologists. the stunting growth idea was a circulating myth from the 50s, but back then, they thought our bones would warp due to stress, but our bones are much more versatile than they think, and actually become stronger due to stress. elderly ppl w/ bone problems, for exmaple, are encouraged to do resistance training to keep their bone deterioration as slow as possible
    -really like a madman

Alexandr Karelin

lifted since march 2000

I'm 16 and I've been lifting on and off since age 14. I just deadlifted 400 pounds today. You guys thing my growth will be stunted?
    Last edited by Whitebread; 05-21-2004 at 09:35 PM.

the only exercise i've every heard to stunt your growth was squats

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebread
    I'm 16 and I've been lifting on and off since age 14. I just deadlifted 400 pounds today. You guys thing my growth will be stunted?
    Unless you got really great bones, I would lean to the conclusion that your growth has been affected to some degree.

But like the others said, I'm not a doctor and it's just my opinion from experience.
    Last edited by alterego; 05-22-2004 at 12:04 PM.

the only exercise i've every heard to stunt your growth was squats
    The most dangerous exercises are probably squats, deads and leg press because they exert tremendous pressure on the joints at an age you're growing most.

growing tall is overrated
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

skinny white boy
    It's a complete myth. This has been proven and there is no grounds for debate.