Thread: Trick Question: How is it possible that

Trick Question: How is it possible that

How is it possible that in Holland, the unemployment rate is high and rising, but our government wants to increase the age of retirement to help the economy?

Is this not a contradiction?

Keep in mind that unlike many other countries, Holland has a system where people have to give part of their earnings to the state, the state looks after this money and invests it, and then when that person retires he lives off the state. This money is a very big part of our state capital.
    Last edited by Reinier; 05-22-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Wouldn't that mean that the people who are working though will be forced to work longer, giving more money to the state to make more investments? Maybe some of the workers will die before they can retire if the age is raised enough and then the state doesn't have to pay for their living expenses, so it gets the extra money from them plus the money from the investments w/o paying any out. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone of course. Sounds like a shortterm "fix" if you ask me. The government should be worried about creating more jobs than forcing people to work longer.

The issue currently being dealt with is dialogue between government and trade unionists to decide whether or not the minimum age for retirement is to be raised from 62 to 64 years old or so.

IMO The Leader of the trade unions has been treated disrespectfully, but I know I am biased.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    Keep in mind that unlike many other countries, Holland has a system where people have to give part of their earnings to the state, the state looks after this money and invests it, and then when that person retires he lives off the state. This money is a very big part of our state capital.
    We have this, too. It doesn't work.

Holland may find that out quite soon.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

We have the same issue here in the UK, we pay our national insurance for health services and pensions, yet are advised to have a private or company pension as it is unlikely there will be a state pension when we retire at 65.
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We have it to a degree. Social Security doesn't invest the money. It is simply held in a trust with a promise that certain benefits will be paid out when you retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinier
    How is it possible that in Holland, the unemployment rate is high and rising, but our government wants to increase the age of retirement to help the economy?

Is this not a contradiction?
    I agree that makes no sense. When the people are old and retire, it should open new jobs up. By keeping them there longer, it wont help unemployment at all...
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    We have this, too. It doesn't work.

Holland may find that out quite soon.
    The fact it doesn't work is the whole point.
    This is how you move money from workers to executives.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    Ok here's the deal. As people retire, especially a babyboomer generation, their retirements allow the tax base to stagger and be reduced because they don't work anymore and draw funds from the government entitlements. Therefore, without as large a tax base as before, countries cannot afford the same level of services, etc. to give their citizens like before a babyboom generation retired. By raising the retirement age, this prevents the older generation from retiring, thus keeping the tax base reasonably level so that you won't have to cut services or spending. That's how it goes with raising the retirement age.

Now, going back to the unemployment issue, there are two faces here. Number one, if they don't raise the retirement age, the tax base may take a hit, at least in the short-term. There is more turnover and people can look for work, as older peeps retire. And if there are more people working, the tax revenue rises. However, if people retire in a babyboom, somewhere down the line the government will run massive deficits to keep up with entitlement spending if they keep current levels of services. On the other hand, if retirement age is raised, this keeps the tax base relatively level. However, people won't be able to retire like they want to and may raise unemployment levels for everyone else. The government could also run more deficits because unemployment will be up and people could draw whatever welfare type services you have in Holland until they aquire a job.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

In Holland if you lose your job you get 70% of what you earned for 2 years, provided you are actively trying to get a new job. I don't know if this is still accurate these things are dropping quick. However now a good part of the unemployed folk is fresh out of school and never had a job. They probably get something. I'm not sure what.

Reloaded one problem... you can't keep the babyboomers working forever. You're only shifting the problem. At the cost of both the young unemployed and the older who want that retirement money they have a right to.
    Last edited by Reinier; 05-22-2004 at 05:59 PM.

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    Reloaded one problem... you can't keep the babyboomers working forever. You're only shifting the problem. At the cost of both the young unemployed and the older who want that retirement money they have a right to.
    Yes of course. I'm just explaining some of the issues that would have to be overcome eventually somehow.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

That's all governments really do though is shift a problem around as long as possible until they have no choice but to confront it.

my answer....

It's Holland! Who cares?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

how bout this reinier.....you do me a presentation on the reasons for the dutch revolt for tuesday??
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    my answer....

It's Holland! Who cares?
    then don't post!

Besides this isn't just about holland, it's about politics and economics in general, this could happen and could work the same elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by McBain
    how bout this reinier.....you do me a presentation on the reasons for the dutch revolt for tuesday??
    No time now. I have exams this week. I'm crazy for even being here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4Eva
    That's all governments really do though is shift a problem around as long as possible until they have no choice but to confront it.
    Either to shift it to the next administration, or in hope of some good luck soon that will end the problem in a cheaper way.

im just bein an a$$. lighten up.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.