Thread: Pain While Running

Wannabebig Member

Pain While Running

Here the problem I have been having. I try to run 3-5 times a week and have noticed that when I get towards the end stretch of my 4 miles my leg starts to have pain in it. The pain seems to be in the front part of my leg in between the knee and the ankle. It is only in my right leg so I was wondering if I have that problem where one leg is slightly longer than the other? I have no problems with shorter distance running or walking. What to I do to fix this problem? Any input is appreciated.

I believe those are called shin splits. Do you use good shoes? Did you drastically increase your running duration and/or intensity in a short period of time? If so, then that is why you are experiencing that pain. I have had it happen to me before, and it got so bad(in both legs) that I had to take some time off. I'm sure some other runners can comment more on this and maybe provide better advice, goodluck.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 05-16-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Yup shin splints. Stretching prior to running, good shoes, ice and ibuprofin after will all help.

and run on the grass not on hard surfaces

Shin splints are fun...wee! Okay, maybe not. They are, however manageable. Aside from the recommendeations already made...good shoes are key(although they're more important toward making sure your knees last a good long while)...there are other things you can do to help things along, and they are cheaper than getting a new pair of shoes.
    Aside from ice, ibuprofen, etc. there are specific exercises and stretches you can do for them. In the stretch and rehab department, there's a technique called "milking" that helps relieve the pain and minimize shin splints. Basically before and after your run you run your thumbs up and down your shins, as if you were "milking" them. This improves circulation and speeds recovery. Next up on the rehab bit, you can strenthen that muscle. What you do is put a couple of 10 lb'ers or heavier on the floor over the toes. You lift your toes straight up. Think of it as a reverse calf raise. Do 3-4 sets of 2-3 times a week.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I will take your advice and hopefully this problem will go away or at least be lessened.

Are you building distance or speed? Whats your goal here?

I ran my first marathon last sunday with minimum training of about 8-10 weeks. My build is ectomorph and I perform well on endurance activities. Cutting fat was not my concern but completion with minimum injuries was my goal. My left everything is weaker than my right side so not surprisingly my first injury was left calf and later left knee. My left shins did not feel sore until the actual race day.
    Theres many things you can do to prevent serious injury in that area.
    1. warm up properly before and DURING the run. I would try stretching left quads during the race to shift stress to a bigger muscle.
    2. try different shoes. i ran on indoor soccer shoes the first few weeks and found that strenghtened the whole area below the knee i.e. calves, shins, ankles, feet. later i bought running shoes with a lot of cushion and my left knee became the weakest link.
    3. try toe in/out and see if the pain goes away

You say its at the end of your stretch so next time just before you enter the pain zone you can spend a good 5 minutes on stretching quads and see if it persists.
    Also when your left heel hits the pavement try to have your toe out a bit to your left...see if that helps.

let me know how it goes
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo
    Are you building distance or speed? Whats your goal here?

I ran my first marathon last sunday with minimum training of about 8-10 weeks. My build is ectomorph and I perform well on endurance activities. Cutting fat was not my concern but completion with minimum injuries was my goal. My left everything is weaker than my right side so not surprisingly my first injury was left calf and later left knee. My left shins did not feel sore until the actual race day.
    Theres many things you can do to prevent serious injury in that area.
    1. warm up properly before and DURING the run. I would try stretching left quads during the race to shift stress to a bigger muscle.
    2. try different shoes. i ran on indoor soccer shoes the first few weeks and found that strenghtened the whole area below the knee i.e. calves, shins, ankles, feet. later i bought running shoes with a lot of cushion and my left knee became the weakest link.
    3. try toe in/out and see if the pain goes away

You say its at the end of your stretch so next time just before you enter the pain zone you can spend a good 5 minutes on stretching quads and see if it persists.
    Also when your left heel hits the pavement try to have your toe out a bit to your left...see if that helps.

let me know how it goes
    good luck
    Gizmo, CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST MARATHON! That's awesome. It's quite an achievement. I would tend to provide some slightly different advice though. I think the stopping and stretching is a great idea, but I don't think he should shift the emphasis off his shins. Sure he should stretch his quads, hams, calves, etc. He should be doing that anyway. Thing is...doing one won't necessarily help the other. Another problem I have is the "cushy running shoes ended up injuring my knees"...BAH PFFT...YOU GOT THE WRONG SHOES MAN!

LOL, sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Not all running shoes are created equal. If you think running shoes are soft you should try a pair of Saucony Stabilo grids or Brooks Beasts...ouch. The problem you had was probably incorrect shoe fitting. You need to go to a running store (not foot action or foot locker but a RUNNING STORE...more like Fleet Feet or RunTex) and get your movement analyzed. It's free, and you end up getting a shoe that'll save you from a lot of injury. I have no doubt that those shoes were screwing up your knees. When I used soft cushy running shoes my knees would start aching after 3 miles. It sucked. I learned that the shoes were the problem. I overpronate and needed a motion control shoe. Chances are you did to. Well, anyway, I just wanted to add that, because I figure it could also save you a lot of problems in the future. Hope it goes well.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Be strong. Live Long.
    That used to happen to me before. As I got to the 6 miles the pain came. It took a while to stop hurting. Now it does not hurt anymore, well actually it does but just when I don't stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Gizmo, CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST MARATHON! That's awesome. It's quite an achievement. I would tend to provide some slightly different advice though. I think the stopping and stretching is a great idea, but I don't think he should shift the emphasis off his shins. Sure he should stretch his quads, hams, calves, etc. He should be doing that anyway. Thing is...doing one won't necessarily help the other. Another problem I have is the "cushy running shoes ended up injuring my knees"...BAH PFFT...YOU GOT THE WRONG SHOES MAN!

LOL, sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine. Not all running shoes are created equal. If you think running shoes are soft you should try a pair of Saucony Stabilo grids or Brooks Beasts...ouch. The problem you had was probably incorrect shoe fitting. You need to go to a running store (not foot action or foot locker but a RUNNING STORE...more like Fleet Feet or RunTex) and get your movement analyzed. It's free, and you end up getting a shoe that'll save you from a lot of injury. I have no doubt that those shoes were screwing up your knees. When I used soft cushy running shoes my knees would start aching after 3 miles. It sucked. I learned that the shoes were the problem. I overpronate and needed a motion control shoe. Chances are you did to. Well, anyway, I just wanted to add that, because I figure it could also save you a lot of problems in the future. Hope it goes well.
    I didnt think I could cover 42kms man and still need to look at the results sometimes...lol. My time of 5:32 can be improved...next year perhaps.

I know I didnt get the right shoes first time. A lot of runners use several pairs before finding the one. This can get expensive so I tried a few and went with the boston classic. Its a good fit, quite comfy but a bit too much cusioning for me and not enough stability. 'The running store' here usually marks its prices up by about 20%. But if I were to run another marathon or even half-marathon, I'd like to test a motion control shoe.