Thread: can someone tell me if these photos of my ghetto at home squats are okay?

can someone tell me if these photos of my ghetto at home squats are okay?

1-start
    2-middle
    3-finish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

PS, you're cats tail looks exactly like one of my cats tails!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

haha what kind you got? he's a bengal. we just brought him outside, his tail gets like that all the time when he's excited, i think when they cross breed w/ wild cats it fucs with their heads. he'll be normal one minute then he'll be insane. so you think that form is okay? i don't wanna mess my back up. i read an article about how it's real bad when people hold the weight in front of them and lean forward while doing shrugs, and this is like that but overemphasizsed. didnt feel like it would hurt but i doubt that's any kind of real indicator

I have a siamese, tiger mix, he's awesome.

Anywho, it's tough to tell how your back is from the front, but what you are doing is quite similar to a Zercher squat with respect to where the weight is. In a Zercher squat you put the barbell in the crook of your arms and squat with it like that.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    1-start
    2-middle
    3-finish
    Your actually almost doing a Dumbbell Deadlift. Try holding the DB's outside of your legs, also start from the top, go down and repeat, starting for floor is a deadlift(I guess you have to do this to start the lift but you know what I mean.)

i know but like you said you gotta pic them up off the floor, so that's when i snapped the shots. what do you mean like a deadlift? no way. i find it very uncomfortable to do it w/ db's on the outside, so much that it messes with my lifts, cuz you gotta be trying to hold big db's away from yourself while ur focusing on squatting

i know but like you said you gotta pic them up off the floor, so that's when i snapped the shots. what do you mean like a deadlift? no way. i find it very uncomfortable to do it w/ db's on the outside, so much that it messes with my lifts, cuz you gotta be trying to hold big db's away from yourself while ur focusing on squatting
    You don't hold them way outside of your body, you just pick the dumbells off of the floor, and let your arms hang by your side while you grip the DB's. Simply squat down, unlocking your hips, go as low as you can, and squat back up, don't let the dumbells hit the ground and your fine.

no i'm talking about how it's uncomfortable to have db's rubbing up against you while yuo're squatting. do you do db ssquats this way? i have tried before but it doesn't feel like the best way to do them. just my experience

no i'm talking about how it's uncomfortable to have db's rubbing up against you while yuo're squatting. do you do db ssquats this way? i have tried before but it doesn't feel like the best way to do them. just my experience
    I have done them like that before, now I do traditional BB Squats. To anwser your question, your center of gravity should almost be behind your quads, and in your hips and glutes, there for the DB's as you squat down will be dangling below your but and not dragging against your legs.

Wannabebig Member
    Dude, your freaking cut... Hah, try not the drop the DB's on the cat LOl... It looks like you are leaning forward a bit too much... But, if your back feels okay, then you are probably cool...

1-start
    2-middle
    3-finish
    Try pressin those things over your head and squating. I just dont like the angle your in. Good effort tho, very creative.

Looks fine to me.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I agree w/ ctarden, looks like you have some forward lean in there. Wouldnt want to strain the lower back. You could try sticking some arch in the low back when coming up with the weights from the ground as if doing a DL. Then concentrate on keeping the body in the same line it would be with regular squats. Try pushing your shoulders back some if you need to, that will keep your back more up and down instead of slanted forward.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

You can't really compare what he's doing to a normal squat. It's more like a dumbbell deadlift, in which case you want your shoulders forward. Of course, stance and movement is somewhat awkward because he's using dumbbells instead of a bar. But overall I think the movement looks good.

During a normal barbbell squat, your upper body bends forward as you push your ass back. I can't imagine maintaining balance if you stayed completely upright ... unless you are using a smith machine.

Anyway, here is an example of proper squat form. http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthl...ksquat.mpg.mpg
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    They are right!! Dumbbells on the outside close to your body. Try putting the dumbbells out the outside of your body, and face your back against the wall. Arch your back, with your head and chest facing up. Sit back until your backside hits the wall. The wall will be your stopping point. Make sure your knees are open, keep your head up sit back, back , back, almost like you are going to sit on a toilet. Sounds weird, but it works. Good luck!!

i'm sure that 'works' but as i said before, holding big dumbbells on your side is NOT GOOD when trying to do leg lifts. if i'm holding big dumbbells, i'm either gonna be rubbing them against my legs which will definitely affect my lifts, or i have to try to hold them out, and i don't think you want to be doing the beginning of a lateral raise w/ big db's as you're trying to squat. i don't knjow why people keep saying hold them outside your legs. the only way that could be close to comfortable is if your squat stance had your feet like 4 inches apart. in that case it would be tolerable (you actually got me to go load up the db's and play around), but as soon as you start spreading your legs out, which i feel makes my lifts much more effective, the weights rubbing causes me a real problem. sorry to go off like that but i'm assuming that you posted that w/o reading the rest of this thread, wherein somebody already suggested that, and we already went over why it was inherently problematic

Wannabebig Member
    I did not tell you anything that different than anyone else on this thread, except I gave you some more advice on how to make your lifts more effective. Trust me I did not get offended. Good luck with your lifting.

Buy some wrist straps and do some weighted lunges. The straps will keep your grip from being the limiting factor and the lunges will more specifically target your legs.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

for some reason lunges bother my knees. maybe my form sucks, dunno. went home for fri night, and got to go to a real gym in my hometown (see journal). i love using real weights, wish it was possible to get a squat rack in my apt.