Thread: WHEN to do cardio??

WHEN to do cardio??

I am just starting my cut (first ever), so I'm going to start doing cardio. The problem is, everyone has different opinions on when to do cardio. Some say to do it morning on an empty stomach because your body will go straight to fat for energy, but then some say that you will probably lose a lot of muscle if you do it this way. So, since I, like everyone else, don't want to lose my precious muscle, I am sort of convinced not to do it in the morning. But what time should I do it then? What is an optimal time that I could lose a lot of fat and feel safe that I'm not losing muscle? Also, should I do cardio AND weight lifting on the same day?
    Last edited by mike107; 06-09-2004 at 10:35 PM.

The reason there are so many different opinions on when to do cardio is because we all have different goals.
    For someone at 45% bf trying to get down to 25% they should be doing one thing while someone else at 15% trying to get down to 8% might try another and someone else going from 5% down to 3% would do another...also some people are on a cut, and some on a bulk.
    then factor in that some people are on gear and some not, and some people want to build muscle and not lose it as the goal, while others just want to lose fat to any ends...
    thats why there are so many different times/hours/etc you may be reading...

that said
    after lifting, 10 minutes of cardio would have virtually the same effect as doing cardio in the AM minus a good portion of the catabolic/cortisol problems. Keep your heart rate nice and low (135-145)

HIIT training has been shown to burn more calories over the long run compared to normal endurance cardio.

I wouldn't do any more than 20 minutes of cardio on a day that ur going to be lifting.

And on rest days its a good idea to rest so your muscles can heal.

Well, I don't have too much fat to lose (never measured my bf, but I'm guessing it's around 11%). I was pretty skinny before I bulked (went from 125-155 in last 8 months), but now I have a little gut, and I want to lose it. I want to lose as least muscle as possible in doing so though. Given that, when should I do cardio?

STATS
    Weight: 154
    Height: 5'8''
    Bench: 125lbs X 10REPS (never maxed out)
    Curl: 80lbs X 6REPS
    Last edited by mike107; 06-10-2004 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike107
    Well, I don't have too much fat to lose (never measured my bf, but I'm guessing it's around 11%). I was pretty skinny before I bulked (went from 125-155 in last 8 months), but now I have a little gut, and I want to lose it. I want to lose as least muscle as possible in doing so though. Given that, when should I do cardio?
    Congrats on the bulk...30lbs of LBM and a little fat is good going. Really, in order to answer your question it might be good if you can outline your general cutting diet? what are you eating...how much...when. Do you know your maintenance calories and how is the diet cvalories in relation to that. What training are you doing weights wise. From there it will be easier when to advise slipping in cardio.

Right now I am eating a little over 2900 calories a day (I will eventually be eating about 1900, gradually lowering my calories). I'd say about 25% of those calories are from fat. I eat around 155-175 grams of protein each day (I weigh 154lbs). I eat about 8 small meals a day (eat every 2 hours). Usually some raisen bran and milk for breakfast, some tuna or egg whites around noon, something high in carbs before my workout, post-workout some protein powder in milk + more carbs, some milk before I go to bed. By no means is this, ALL I eat, but these are some of the main things. I'm not sure what maintenance calories are.

As for my weight training, I currently workout 6 days a week (each session usually lasting at least an hour).
    DAY 1: chest, triceps
    DAY 2: biceps, forearms, abs
    DAY 3: deltoids
    DAY 4: back, traps
    DAY 5: OFF (abs)
    DAY 6: legs
    --start over--

Along with knowing what time of the day I should do cardio, I also need help on fitting it into my workout schedule. Should I give it its own day, or should I do cardio and workout on the same day?
    Last edited by mike107; 06-10-2004 at 01:38 PM.

It really doesn't matter much.

I would do cardio after lifting if you are doing them in the same session, but other than that, it's up to you.

I would get rid of the day you have for biceps, and combine that with another day (shoulders, maybe?)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

As Paul says...its not super important. Personally i find not doing cardio on an empty stomach and not doing cardio just before a workout are the two things i avoid.

Cardio for me is free floating...i do it when i want. when i feel "fat" or when i feel like i wasnt strict enough with following my diet. I tend to do 2-3 sessions a week. one of them is on a rest day from weight. the other is in the morning with a tension w/o in the evening. the other i sometimes tag on after weights.

id follow Pauls advice re the biceps day. I started out following the WBB1 when i found this forum (found on the frontpage of the WBB web page) routine...3 days a week split routine. it was solid and i learned a lot. From there I moved to a different regimen after 20 weeks and am having a bast.

Augs

How does this look?

DAY 1: chest, triceps
    DAY 2: legs
    DAY 3: OFF (abs)
    DAY 4: shoulders, biceps, forearms
    DAY 5: back, traps
    DAY 6: OFF (abs)
    --start over--

Should I just do HIIT cardio on my days off, and do it at the same time as I would do my regular workout (around 5 PM)?
    And should I workout my abs right after my cardio session, or would a different time be better?
    Last edited by mike107; 06-11-2004 at 12:33 PM.

I may have been just a little off when I predicted what my BF% is. I'm definitely not 11% after seeing pics of guys that are. I'm probably more around like 15-17% (I didn't realize how low 11% was). Does this change how I should eat or do cardio?
    Last edited by mike107; 06-11-2004 at 11:45 PM.