Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you build the Ultimate Fighters Body?

Running 3 miles in 18 minutes its possible at 200 pounds its ver posible, however gaining 50 oounds of muscle its very hard unless you are doing some juice. You either have one in a thousand genetics or its going to take you a few years to gain so much muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    Bizatch, I was reading some of your posts and Aka23s' on the thread "How Much Cardio is too Much Cardio." What aka said seemed to hold truth to it. Maybe, I should change my routine. Like I said, all the info I got was from the book call Body-for-Life by Bill Philips. It's definitely a good book, but I'm sort or realizing it's more geared towards weight loss. Philips recommends readers to work out on an empty stomach to increase weight loss. I personally need to gain wight so maybe I should drink a Protein shake before working out.

Also 50lbs of muscle is going to take me years? Damn, I'll just have to workout harder then and push that last rep.
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

Well, 30 lbs of muscle is probably about the best you can get naturally in a year if you train smart, hard and get your diet in line. That's pretty much a full year without much screw ups, though. Expecting to gain over that is pretty unreasonable (at the very least unreasonable naturally). I would make it a goal to add 50 lbs of muscle and hope to limit fat gain to 15 lbs or so within 2 years. That would be a difficult goal but it would be possible to accomplish with hard work.

After that, in all honesty it doesn't take all that long to get your cardio ability up to par (of course, you will be moving 200 lbs instead of 150, and as I know from experience that's a big difference).

Wannabebig Member
    hey pacific, just curious, but how old are you?

Wannabebig Member
    23 years old
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

you can do a lot of cardio as long as you eat a lot of food. OK running is catabolic, but if your calories are high enough you will still gain.

boxers do a mix of speed, strength and endurance work.

a westside routine should be good for explosive strength,
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

Wannabebig Member
    The cardio that is done comes mainly from hours training. You want to look and move like a fighter train in the sport. Check out the website www.mma.tv this is a site dedicated to mixed martial arts (ultimate fighting). can't really give you specifics, i have some fighters routines at home and can put down for later on if you want. but like most things everyone is different so you have to find waht works for you.
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

I don't know why you guys are worrying him with boxing, cardio, etc. The fact is that he's 150 lbs and he wants to be a 200 lb fighter. I think he should get to at least 180 and then possibly consider something like a beginner's version of westside. I wouldn't even bother with real cardio, plyometrics, etc until you are close to your "fighting weight". A little HIIT or an occassional longer run might be fine for now but too much more is going to burn a lot of calories, make it harder to recover and lead to overtraining or not allow you to spend enough time in the gym.

Wannabebig Member
    Bizatch, it's true that I want to be 200lbs. However, I'm kind of worried I might lose the agility I have right now. I need to find a way where I can gain muscle mass, progressively become faster(punching/kicking, etc.) and gain more endurence.

When I was kickboxing, I would spar some guys who were a lot bigger then me(around 200lbs, but they had little experience with martial arts) and they were so slow and sluggish. I could punch and kick much faster then they could. Whenever I saw an opening, I could slide right in and deliver a blow. Also they were winded really fast. I need to find a routine where I would gain weight steadily but still be able to kick and punch with the same speed without being winded easily. That would be swell.

Well it sounds very nice and I think eventually you can work it in. Right now you have had trouble gaining any weight and you really need to work on getting your calories up and possibly your calorie expenditures down. I suppose I am aiming for something similar to you: I want to be in all around great shape even in comparison to some of the UFC fighters while being skilled at punching/kicking/grappling, etc. I don't plan on actually becoming a fighter aside from perhaps local amateur boxing when I feel I'd be very competitive.

If you want to, you could try doing the routine here:
    http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/311west.jsp
    and on "GPP" days do grappling, boxing or HIIT or something like that. I suggest keeping the workload somewhat low as you start out. It may overtrain you if you're not careful since you haven't built up your workload capacity and since you don't seem to eat a whole lot.

Wannabebig Member
    That does sound like a good work out plan. It's pretty cool that all the athletes he trained gained. However, just recently I decided to change up my workout routine. It had already been long over do. I decided to do some research on some popular weight training styles and came up with Max-OT. Take a look at this a see what you think.

Max-OT in a nutshell
    http://www.muscleoverload.com/max-ot/maxot.shtml

Originally from this site
    http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

Hopefully I would weight train in the morning and go for a light run at night.

Also Bizatch, I definitely am geared towards athleticism then bodybuiliding. What's the use of having a great body when you can't even use it? I don't plan on being a professional fighter but I know if I were to train like one, it would still make me fast and agile eventhough I get big and also I would be in superb general health which is the most important. Just imagine a 200 lbs guy being able to run faster and longer then anybody while playing Ultimate frisbee(one of my favorite sports).

I think Max-OT is a good idea, but if you're just starting out I'm a little nervous on how it will affect your joints, definitely (as I said in the other thread) consider some glucosamine. The plus (and I could be mistaken here) is that your hypertrophy will be primarily myofibril and thus you should become very strong for your size while still growing quickly. That's a must for someone with your goals (which I'd say is pretty much what mine are as well).

If you haven't already started, though (and perhaps even if you have) I'd recommend starting with high reps (~15-20) for each exercise for the first two weeks. That should help your joints significantly.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-26-2004 at 01:28 PM.

My suggestion would be to stop running and start sprinting. It seems like you have a fairly good cardio base built up. Now you should start sprinting up stairs and hills. You will see much greater gains in cardio doing that then if you continue to run 3 miles.

By the way, exactaly how hard is running 3 miles in 18 minutes? I did one 5k race (3.2 miles) and I did it in 21 minutes. I was 14 at the time and didn't train at all except for muay thai kickboxing. Come to think of it, the reason I may of done fairly well is because we did a lot of sprint work in kickboxing.

To put it in perspective, my cross country team had some of the best runners in the state. Our top runners trained year round and were all built like runners (thin, though some reasonably cut, not very tall and narrow shoulders). Our 5th runner was right around 18 minutes. The fastest runner in the state's best time on his course (Matt Debole) was 14:49, though he was probably about a minute faster than all but a handful of runners and was quite thin.

Still, anyone who can run a 5k in under 18 minutes is an exceptional runner as very few people can do it. I would agree, though, that simply running 3.1 miles in training isn't going to make you great at the 5k. One of the best workouts to improve your 5k time is 3 minute hill repeats. HIIT is also quite good and occassionally going out and runner for around an hour will help as well. Still, I think that limiting cardio like this to about twice a week would be ideal.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-26-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    For me personally, running 3 miles within 18 min will be a great feat for me. Just 7 months ago I was smoking, drinking and being a lazy bastard. I quit all of that and now, I want to build it up my running, so that I could do it easily.

The reason I decided to choose 3 mile/18 mins is because in the Marines PT, running at that speed will get you a 100 points on the running section. Originally, my minimal fitness goals were to get a 100 points in all the three sections.

Running: 3 miles within 18mins
    Pull-ups: 20
    Crunches: 100

The reason I even chose the marines is because of their motto "Pain is weakness leaving the body". They're definitely survivers.
    Eventhough I'm not in the military, if it's good enough for soldiers it's good enough for me. Also, by weightlifting, I could hopefully speed up the process. I noticed after working out for a while, I could all of a sudden do a lot more pushups then I did before which was pretty cool.

I noticed that the Max-OT program didn't fit in cardio for some reason within the 5 days. I was reading in the manual(Max-ot) and looking at the Q & A section and it said to run 8-12 hours before or after the workout(3 X week). Which means if I worked out in the morning, I would have to run at night. Do you think that's okay? I have no problem doing it, but I just wanted to make sure I won't be overtraining.

Wannabebig Member
    colemans idea of sprinting is defiantly a good idea. Maybe try the tabata protocol for a little while. I'm a bit confused, do you want to be a fighter or do you want to just look like a fighter?
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

Wannabebig Member
    You got to be one, to look like one.

Heh ... not really. Do you understand the difference between strength gains and muscle gains?

Wannabebig Member
    no, I don't. I'd rather be strong then bulky. It's more efficient.
    Please elaborate.