Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you build the Ultimate Fighters Body?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

How do you build the Ultimate Fighters Body?

Does anyone know the workout routines of any of the ultimate fighters? I don't know if anyone is interested in UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships), but if you see some of the fighters, they have awesome bodies. Not only are they huge, but they're also lighting fast(at least some of them).

I'm pretty sure they do a hellava lot of Cardio, but I don't understand how they can put on the weight.

My ultimate goal is to be hugh, 200lbs (150lbs right now) of pure muscle and be able to run 3 miles in 18 mins. And I'm noticing it's harder then it seems.

I have been on a workout program for the past 3 months, however I have been losing weight. I lift Mon, Wed, Fri and run Tues, Thurs, Sat. I run 3 miles as fast as I can(22 mins). I also eat 6 meals a day. However, I have lost weight since the beginning. When I first started the program, I weighted 157lbs, but now I weight 150lbs.

Everybody has been telling me to cut back on the running, but I refuse to. I know all Ultimate fighters/boxers run like crazy, however they seem to put on the weight. I started taking some weight gainers but, i'll see how that works out in a few weeks. If anyone has any suggestions please tell.

If you insist on running that much, eat more.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

heading to 195
    maybe you should gain that 50 lbs first then think about running

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think taking time off is a great idea. When I took a week off and started to work out again, running was much harder. If I stop running, all the cardio I did will be a waste. I just hope the weight gainer is the solution to my problem.

you're going to need a trainer, simple as that. If you wanna be a fighter you need a trainer. They'll make you hit the bag, make you do sit ups (the ones where they punch you in the gutt!!!!) and do clapping push ups and stregth training and speed work and plyometrics and so much stuff that people here can't begin to tell you where to start. Also, if you're doing that much cardio eat more. Any time you don't have any fat you should eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacificmonarch
    Does anyone know the workout routines of any of the ultimate fighters? I don't know if anyone is interested in UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships), but if you see some of the fighters, they have awesome bodies. Not only are they huge, but they're also lighting fast(at least some of them).

I'm pretty sure they do a hellava lot of Cardio, but I don't understand how they can put on the weight.

My ultimate goal is to be hugh, 200lbs (150lbs right now) of pure muscle and be able to run 3 miles in 18 mins. And I'm noticing it's harder then it seems.

I have been on a workout program for the past 3 months, however I have been losing weight. I lift Mon, Wed, Fri and run Tues, Thurs, Sat. I run 3 miles as fast as I can(22 mins). I also eat 6 meals a day. However, I have lost weight since the beginning. When I first started the program, I weighted 157lbs, but now I weight 150lbs.

Everybody has been telling me to cut back on the running, but I refuse to. I know all Ultimate fighters/boxers run like crazy, however they seem to put on the weight. I started taking some weight gainers but, i'll see how that works out in a few weeks. If anyone has any suggestions please tell.
    With the use of a lot of injectables and orals.

I'd focus on gaining first, eat like there's no tomorrow. You also must consider, while some are juiced, not all are. Most of those guys have freakish genetics that a lot of people could only wish for.

If you're only 150lbs you can't expect to get to 200lbs doing a lot of cardio. It's going to make the process a lot harder. YOu need to be getting in quick workouts and eating a lot of calories to put on that kind of weight naturally. Put on some decent weight, then think about incorporating cardio into your routine.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

eat more ... train like a bodybuilder... then when your at say 210 pounds start to cut back down... and see how you feel...

wrestlemaniac said you'd need a trainer and he's definately right. I used to kick box and they made me do pressups on my fingers and as i was pressing down they'd make me press to each hand 1 at a time... Leg raises with my butt hanging just fof the edge of a bench and lower my legs further than a normal leg raise...

Not only would a trainer bennifit u but the trainer would be able to push your harder and fruther than normal...

Cut the running out for a while you'll grow big time... if you want to keep your running up maybe only once a week well that's what i'd do....

GOOD LUCK! AND SQUAT
    Last edited by Kirman; 05-23-2004 at 02:11 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Like I say, I just recently bought a weight gainer (N large 2) and hopefully that'll be the solution to my problem. Also, Wrestlemaniac I used to box/kickbox however still I wasn't gaining weight. But even if I were to, I know I wouldn't be gaining the kind of muscle the Ultimate fighters have. I'm talking about guys like Victor Belfort. This guy is huge, but also ripped like a mother. When you see this guy in the ring, his back is huge. Also when you see him punching, it's incrediblely fast. And I know these guys have to run like crazy for stamina. Only if I knew what exercises or training program they were on. I know these guys train 8 hours a day, but summer is coming and I'm ready to do it.

Also a lot of people are telling me to stop the cardio or reduce it. But I can't stop, won't stop. They reason is b/c if I stop now, I'll go back to where I started. And as a matter of fact, I'm impressed at myself. When I first started this workout program around 3 months ago, I was running 3 miles in 35 mins and on the verge of death. I can't believe I improved so much(13 mins shaved). And now I can't stop untill I reach my goal 3 mile = 18 min. Then for sure, nobody can catch me(at least I think).

Also thanks for the suggestions.

"Do whatever it takes"
    "Don't be a bitch!"
    2 things I yell at myself when working out.(works for me)

anabolics.....

Perhaps try High intensity interval training for cardio, rather than long distance running

Think about the look of a sprinter and the look of a long-distance runner

I was the same as you, i was trying to gain weight while running 5k every day. It worked for a month then my body just refused to gain mass after that.. Now i sprint and am steadily inflating!!

Most of those fighters don't run as often as you might think. The majority of their cardio is done doing bag work, grappling, and sparring. Running long distances at a controlled pace is good for base stamina but its not the best way to train for a fight. These guys fight in bursts, go all out for short durations, then there are times of little activity, and breaks in between rounds.

Wannabebig Member
    True, that does hold some truth to it. Maybe I should try some interval training for a while and see how that goes.

However, one reason I decided to make 3 miles > 18 min my goal is because in the Marines or Navy Seals, these guys run all the time however they seem to be pretty big guys. I wonder how they seem to do it.
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

My dad was a Navy Doc with the Marine Corps, so I spent a lot of time on the base. Trust me when I say that, while some of the Marines are big mf'ers the majority don't possess huge physiques. For the most part, what they possess, is superb muscle endurance, and a STRONG desire to succeed. When it comes to getting into top notch muscle conditioing, the guys here know their ****. If the goal is this important to you, then it will be worth taking the time after you gain weight, to get your endurance back. Don't plan on gaining 50+lbs and running 3 miles in 18min. over the summer. Goals like that will take many many more months than that. Keep that in mind.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I think you should start by reading some of the articles here, especially on diet and nutrition.

First, NLarge isn't going to make you big. It will help add a little bit of calories to your diet (and not even all that much) and that's about it. The thing is that you have to consume more calories than you're putting out. I would recommend shooting for around 4,000 calories per day with pretty "clean" foods.

Those ultimate fighters might train for several hours a day (I really doubt 8 hours), but they've worked up to it for years. I have a pretty high workload capacity compared to most people and I couldn't train for that long right now -- I'd really have to work up to it and it would take awhile.

I don't think you should bother trying to worry with the plyometrics, the endurance, the grappling, the boxing, etc. Worry about putting on 50-70+ lbs in the next couple of years and try to really increase your strength. After that you can start really working on your endurance/lung capacity/lactic threshold, etc and within a fairly short time period you can improve it a lot. If you decide you want to run a whole lot then you're going to take probably about 5 years to put on that much weight. Instead, start with a good, solid training routine and really work on putting in a lot of calories. You can occassionally throw in a LITTLE HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training ... basically sprints) so as to not add too much fat.

I know you feel you worked really hard to get your times down but if your goal is to be a decent ultimate fighter then being able to be a fast runner at 150 lbs isn't going to do you very good.

I wannabebig!
    3 miles in 18 minutes is a great goal, now if you aren't a runner right now as it is it may take some time to accomplish this. good rule of thumb of how fast that is would be 18 minutes at 10 mph on the treadmill.

i know a lot of marines that arent big at all. Good shape and fit but definetly not huge

Wannabebig Member
    Chubrock, I denfinitely don't think I can plan on accomplishing my goal over the summer, however seems like it is possible to be 200lbs and run 3 miles within 18 min.
    I can just imagine.

Also, cardio actually increase one's blood amount(don't know what to call it) by up to a liter and increases oxygen. Thus meaning more nutients being supplied throughout your body(muscles too) and faster recovery.

This is why i don't think I can be able to totally stop doing cardio. In the long run, you're actually going to grow bigger and healthier faster. However like Allyrulez said, I should maybe try interval training.
    Right now I'm thinking of a nice, big, juicy burger done medium on a charcol grill with melted, extra sharp cheddar cheese, 3 strips of thick bacon, lettuce, tomato, creamy mayo on a toasted bun with a side order of freshly cut, crispy french fries, and a side order of freshly home-battered, thick, crispy onion rings with a bottle of Heinz ketcup and a large coke. Awwwwhhh....

All other have already given you what you need. Truthfully to look like a fighter, well, you have to train like a fighter. Get a trainer like previously mentioned. Boxers look like boxers because they train like boxers. . . same goes for UFC. EAT more, run less, train hard. You will get there. It takes training smarter and max effort to accomplish lofty goals. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Bizatch, that a good point you make. Being 150lbs and a fast runner will definitely not make me an ultimate fighter but an ultimate runner. I should definitely do HIIT and try bulk up.

However, I don't know why you said N Large 2 wasn't going to make me big. Looking at the Nutrional Facts it has about 600 calories perserving and I take 2 servings a day.

Aaaah, maybe I should trying eating 8 meals a day(a little crazy). I was eating 3(food) meals plus 3 meal supplements(Myoplex Deluxe). Since I got the N Large 2, I've been substituting 2 meal supplments with the N Large 2. But now that you(Bizatch, good screenname) mention it, I should just eat like I used to(6 meals) plus 2 servings of N Large 2 plus HIIT. What do you say about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacificmonarch
    Bizatch, that a good point you make. Being 150lbs and a fast runner will definitely not make me an ultimate fighter but an ultimate runner. I should definitely do HIIT and try bulk up.

However, I don't know why you said N Large 2 wasn't going to make me big. Looking at the Nutrional Facts it has about 600 calories perserving and I take 2 servings a day.

Aaaah, maybe I should trying eating 8 meals a day(a little crazy). I was eating 3(food) meals plus 3 meal supplements(Myoplex Deluxe). Since I got the N Large 2, I've been substituting 2 meal supplments with the N Large 2. But now that you(Bizatch, good screenname) mention it, I should just eat like I used to(6 meals) plus 2 servings of N Large 2 plus HIIT. What do you say about that?
    Why dont you post your diet, cals and macro breakdown so that we can help you better. 3 600 cals shakes may not be cutting it, and personally I'd like to make sure you are eating more real food and using supplements. . . well. . .to supplement your diet, not make up up the majority of it. Good luck with your goals BTW.

you should do alot of wrestling, contact and technuiqes, agility, and if youre going to fight, be prepared that alot of the guys youre going to face will be on the steroids.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Wannabebig Member
    Since I'm going to do HIIT and just supplemented N Large 2, I don't know how it's going to affect me. But I'll post my current diet so you experts and fine tune me.

Protein
    Myoplex Deluxe(53g * 1)................53g
    Eggs(6g * 6)................................36g
    Bread(3.5g * 8).............................28g
    Chicken Breast(45g * 2).................90g
    N Large 2(52g * 2)........................104g
    Total Protein.................................311g

Carbs
    Bread(13g * 8)..............................104g
    Myoplex Deluxe(28g * 1)..................28g
    N Large 2 (88g * 2)........................176g
    Total Carbs...................................308g

Calories Calories Calories from Fat
    Egg * 6
    (70+5(17))=(w.egg+5(egg whites)).........155................40
    Bread * 8
    8(80) : 8(15).......................................640...............120
    Myplex Deluxe
    340 : 40.............................................340................40
    Chicken Breast * 2
    2(192) : 2(17)......................................384...............34
    N Large two * 2
    2(600) : 2(45)......................................1200..............90
    Total Calories......................................2719...............324

This is basically it.
    Also, when I work out, I alway work out on an empty stomach right when I wake up. I didn't notice till now, but I think I set myself up. One day no work out, one day no eat. Also Sunday is my cheat day. After looking at this please tell me what my problem is.

Thanks for all the help.
    This is a great forum.

"However, I don't know why you said N Large 2 wasn't going to make me big. Looking at the Nutrional Facts it has about 600 calories perserving and I take 2 servings a day."

That's a whole 1,200 calories and it will make you reasonably full. You have about 2,800 to go. I'm not saying that bulking powders are worthless, but you need to eat a lot anyways and you can't expect to get big just from taking a bulking powder.

"Aaaah, maybe I should trying eating 8 meals a day(a little crazy)."

I don't think it's crazy. I eat about like that ... more if you count shakes/chicken by themselves as meals.

"I should just eat like I used to(6 meals) plus 2 servings of N Large 2 plus HIIT. What do you say about that?"

Yeah, definitely. Just shove food down your throat all day long.

"Also, when I work out, I alway work out on an empty stomach right when I wake up. I didn't notice till now, but I think I set myself up. One day no work out, one day no eat."

I don't know who told you to workout on an empty stomach and I'm sure you think you really know what you're talking about, but that is a horrible idea. You need energy to workout. I don't like workout out in the morning at all because my energy levels are so low, but at the very least have a nice breakfast before you lift.

You can eat more carbs than you are eating to start. You should also try to get some good fats from foods like Olive Oil, Flax Oil, Fish Oil and Natural Peanut Butter (along with trying to add in around 1200 calories per day).

"cardio actually increase one's blood amount(don't know what to call it) by up to a liter and increases oxygen. Thus meaning more nutients being supplied throughout your body(muscles too) and faster recovery."

It sounds nice to say that running can increase oxygen but the effect is very small and won't help recovery overall and still by doing too much cardio you will overtain.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-23-2004 at 12:08 PM.