Thread: I want to dunk.

Wannabebig Member

I want to dunk.

I can grab the rim right now. I want to be able to dunk. What type of things should i do to increase my verticle leap?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    try jump squats,

go kinda light and practice jumping up as high as you can
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

how tall are u bballer?

I wannabebig!
    plyometrics

From doing regular cardio, lots of HIIT, and lots of leg exercises(squats mostly) I have gone from not being able to dunk, to being able to dunk with ease(prior to injury). Just strengthen your legs and stay flexible, that's what I did and was able to dunk even though I gained 30lbs.

try air alert.. it worked for me.. website is www.airalert.com if you email me i could send you the program i guess.. but some people like to get it theirselves.. which does benefit you

Quote Originally Posted by BBallstar32
    I can grab the rim right now. I want to be able to dunk. What type of things should i do to increase my verticle leap?
    Run a search on plyometrics, here, and on google or yahoo.com, and that should be enough to cause big time improvements in your vertical.

im trying to dunk to, i am 6'0'' 185 and can grab rim. i started doing squats and plyometrics and it has helped(not there yet, but i just started)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davor
    how tall are u bballer?
    i am 6' 1" and weigh 180

and dblockspky what exactly is air alert i looked at the site and is it just a workout? I am currently using strength shoes....well i was until my ankle injury.

does anyone know anything about strength shoes? have any of you used the training program with strenght shoes?

im not sure what the best excersize is for jumping ability, but i know for a fact that squats will help you jump higher. also some explosive training would help (this will make you faster in your lift-off so you pop like popcorn to the rim!) check here: http://www.t-mag.com/articles/203jump.html

Spud Webb is 5'7

im 5'8 i will dunk one day, Spud will be proud

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I'm 5'11 and I can touch the rim. I couldn't do that before I started doing squats. I hope it continues to help so I can throw it down.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Are you white?
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Quagmire wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by SquareHead
    Are you white?
    Why? Coz white men cant jump?
    He who hesitates masturbates........

Yes that is why. There was even a documentary film made about it called "white men cant jump:.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

Wannabebig Member
    yes im white

Give up. You'll never dunk you Cracka A$$ Cracka!! tuttut
    Last edited by SquareHead; 05-24-2004 at 03:07 PM.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

MACHINE
    I could dunk when I weighed less, and I'm only 5'10". I've always been able to jump high. At 190 I can dunk, but at my current 210-215, I can't do more than jump up and hang from the rim with both hands, which still isn't bad. Plyometrics and explosive hang cleans will help.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

if i had good knees i could dunk- but these crappy things i got wont let me do that, every time i start getting close, they start getting angry and hurting.
    damn knees
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

skinny white boy
    If you can grab the rim now, then simply lifting and practicing dunking will get you to your goal.

Yes practice grabbing the rim every time you are on the court. That was a technique from a guy I know who plays pro in Spain. That way you train your body in the proper biomechanics to bring yourself up with maximum efficiency and slam it home... Like any sporting activity the strength of the individual muscles involved is not as important as the total synergy of all your muscles working in a co-ordinated tandem.

Squats will help, as will power cleans... but my favorite exercise was always to sit in the leg press (the real one, where you put 45-lb. plates on it) and you blast it with your legs... like you throw it off your feet (controlled now, don't go hurting yourself). You're basically "jumping" off the foot platform with a lot of weight for resistance. Doing that 15 times in a row... hooboy, my legs were done.

Wannabebig Member
    thanx don that sounds like a really good plan with the leg press i will have to try that

Banned
    my basketball coach got 3 rim grabbers like you to dunk in a month.
    Simple,,,, take 3 milk crates...special milk crates, where each milk crates is higher then the other, jump on the low one first then jump down, then the middle one then down then the 3rd one then down, trust me, itll makes ur jump 10xx higher.

Beast in Training
    I'd like to dunk too.... but i'm 5'1 and can't jump .

air alert is whats called a habitual jumping program.. it's basically a workout for your legs. and it helps you to jump higher.. it promises 8-12 inches in 15 weeks.. or u can do the first version which promises 6-10 inches in 12 weeks. i started doing it last year and before it i could barely grab rim.. now i can all the time.. and i havent grown an inch.. and i quit doing it after 5 weeks.. it's actually pretty challenging
    i would recommend it because its much cheaper than everything else.. and from all the friends i've seen that did it and the testimonials it does work.
    also it doesnt give this as a benefit but it is one.. it also makes your legs a lot stronger.. i saw a significant increase in my squat after using it