Thread: Nutrition Question

Wannabebig Member

Nutrition Question

Ok, sat down and figured up my cal intake over the last couple days...came up with about 800-1000 per day. Compared to what I've read on this forum that seems really low. What should I do? Eat more? Suppliment? Nothing?

Could this be messing up my metabolic rate and making it hard to lose fat?

If I were you I would take a couple of days of over eating. This will replenish your leptin levels, which is needed to lose fat. Then find a number of calories to eat after that. I think a lot of people go by the formula, BW x 12. So if you are 180 pounds that would mean 2160 calories per day. This will most probably allow you to lose 1 pound per week.

Its important to overeat everyonce in a while, also known as "refeeding". This is because if you eat a low amount of calories for an extended period of time, the body thinks its being starved so it tries to retain as much fat as it can, and in turn weight loss comes to a halt.

Oh and I think 800-1000 calories per day is going to do much more harm than good.

(next time you post a question like this, put it in the Diet & Nutrition section)
    Last edited by Strider2; 05-30-2004 at 02:10 PM.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, so by that formula I should be taking 3120cal a day. I don't think I have ever eaten that much in my entire life. Is this really how much I should be taking? My weight is at 260lbs right now.

I'm sorry for posting here...I'll remember to post in the appropriate forum next time.

The trick is experimentation. Try 3000 calories for a week, if you don't lose a pound, next week try 2800, 2600 etc. Keep lowering till you start losing 1 lb a week. If weight loss stops don't forget to "refeed" for a day or two, if that doesn't work then drop the cals some more. Different metabolisms make it impossible to predict how many calories you really need. Its something you need to find out yourself.

I know it sounds really messed up that you need to eat more to lose weight, but thats the way it is. You gotta lose the weight gradually. Try and rush the progress and your body starts shutting down.

I was about 220lbs 2 years ago. I'm now about 165. The ball started rolling when I started weight training. A couple of months down the line and I didn't realise I had lost 10-15lb just from weight training, no change to my diet. As soon as I started concentrating on my diet it just got better. These things are slow changes but you just gotta stick with it.

I suggest eating 2600-3000 calories, weight training hard 4x a week and you will see changes. Post back to let us know how you are getting on, or even start a journal and we will try to help you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Strider2; 05-30-2004 at 03:17 PM.
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Here's a fun little story.. There once was a boy who moved out of his parents house. When he lived there, he was fed like a king. Feasts of food, and an endlessly filled fridge. But, alas, came the time when he moved out to a land far, far away and left the royal chef (aka "Mommy") behind. There, in that evil land, he found he had to cook for himself, and keep his own fridge filled. Soon he was eating only a cookie a day, or maybe a pizza pocket.

He gained about 10 pounds within a month or two of doing this.

Why? Because the body is an extremely adaptive little creature whose soul purpose in life is the survival of it's host.. that's you. If you underfeed it, it goes into a starvation mode. It stores everything you give it. You feel tired because it doesn't wanna burn precious resources. You become a primitive camel, storing everything that comes it's way into the hump (yours is on your front) so you can survive the trek across the desert without food.

That said, post what your currently eating on the diet forum that way we can check your math and we'll go from there. I don't suggestion jumping up to your "suggested" amount right away, but work up in 500 calories a day jumps each week until you get to the point your body has enough it ends the starvation. Much healthier. Less camel like.
    LaLa

Quote Originally Posted by Strider2
    The trick is experimentation. Try 3000 calories for a week, if you don't lose a pound, next week try 2800, 2600 etc. Keep lowering till you start losing 1 lb a week. If weight loss stops don't forget to "refeed" for a day or two, if that doesn't work then drop the cals some more. Different metabolisms make it impossible to predict how many calories you really need. Its something you need to find out yourself.
    That advice right there will get you that six pack you've always wanted. I'm doing the exact same thing and it's working.