Thread: Basketball Routine? Just started.

Wannabebig Member

Basketball Routine? Just started.

I just started lifting a month ago and didnt really have any special routine just went in and bench and squat and some other exercises. I am trying to get ready for basketball next season and was wondering what sort of routine i should do. I am 16 and weigh 180 and im 6' 1". Can someone give me a 5 day workout or so that would get me big for basketball season.

If you're just starting out, don't assume that a split routine is better b/c it looks more thorough. Simple is better, IMO... but do a little reading on the subject to form your own opinion. There are articles on this site, as well as other sites that you can read for free.

Intensity is worth a lot more than volume when it comes to training. As a beginner, starting off with a 5 day split will be too much unless you aren't working your ass off.

I'd say pick a handful of heavy compound exercises and get really good at them.

But again, read up on this stuff, with the Internet there are plenty of good resources (and plenty of bad ones) that you can read for free.

Here's one to start off with:
    http://www.cyberpump.com/preview/sense.html

Wannabebig Member
    ok so would like a 2 or 3 day split be better?? and what should i do? like legs one day and arms the next or what? and any specific exercises?

Here's my opinion--

Base your routine around 3 basic movements and add in a couple 'little' exercises you want.

Pick one basic movement for legs, one for back, and one for pushing.
    These exercises will make up the bread and butter of your routine and how hard you work them will determine how big and strong you get.

Do the exercises 1-3x per week, but experiment to find out which works best for you.

If you are able to work them more often, you are most likely not working hard enough.

And once again, do some reading on the subject, the link I posted is a good place to start.
    Last edited by bmanderson; 05-23-2004 at 04:49 PM.

you should base your workout on what you want.. if you wanna be able to dunk do more leg workouts.. if you wanna be bigger to be a physical player have workouts for your whole body..
    also advice from me is when you start lifting.. play basketball too.. because if all you do is lift and dont pick up a basketball til the season or the end of the summer.. your gonna wonder what happened to your shot