The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Quick question: What muscle group day split works the best?

chest with back, arms with legs, etc. what works best?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There's about 1898406354 different combinations of training splits.

Find the one that works best for you.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    haha, fine. where would i look? please list some instead of telling me to search.

A good beginner split would be:

M-Chest/Tri
    T-Off
    W-Back/Bi
    Th-Off
    F-Legs
    Sa/Su-Off
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Push: Chest shoulders and tris
    Pull: back and bis
    Legs: legs
    If you like to train each muscle group once a week you could do something like Mon push, Wen pull, Fri legs.
    If you like to train more often try something like Mon push, Tues pull, Thurs legs Fri push, Mon Pull, Tues legs, etc.

A good list of possible splits is available at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html . The optimal training protocol depends on many factors. One of the key ones is your goals. Are you concerned with hypertrophy, strength, power or Olympic lifting totals, sports performance, improving a specific body part, losing weight, some combination, etc.? Drug use, genetics, and training history also play an important role.

I have had good results with a Pull/Legs/Push/Rest. or a Pull/Legs/Push/Rest/Half-Body/Half-Body/Rest split. Splits involving 2 upper and 2 lower days per week also seems to be gaining popularity. A large portion of common splits tend to overemphasize the arms, shoulders, or chest. Note that some programs vary the frequency of workouts (and weekly spilt) over time, such as Fortified Iron and Twin Peak's hypertrophy programs.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-18-2004 at 03:39 AM.

Right now I'm using:
    Mon: Chest/Tris
    Tues: Back/bis
    Wed: Cardio
    Thurs: Quads/Hams/Abs
    Fri: Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Sat: Cardio
    Sun: Off

It is working well for me, gives enough rest between muscle groups. I usually switch things around every 6 weeks or so, following different routines, but this is my core routine I return to all the time.

melt
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

I think you have to first workout how much rest you are going to need in a week which will probably depend on your goals, time you have been training, body type, nutrition and sleep. A good split if 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off or 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off etc. As you can see even this minor change means an extra workout per week which would change the training split. Plus certain body types respond well to training each muscle group every 5 to 9 days. Plus, some body parts may respond best to more frequent training i.e. every 5 days, while other would respond better every 9 days which would also affect your overall split. Experiment, change it up, experiment and change it again. In about 7 to 10 years you should have figured the best strategy for your own body.
    Last edited by Max0d; 05-19-2004 at 08:43 AM.
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 234lbs
    Years training with weights: 11, seriously: 6.
    Front squat:275x5 (264x4)
    Incline DB press:95x5 (92.5x6)
    DB row:110x6

Wannabebig Member
    when i was bulking i was using this routine
    day 1- chest, tri
    day 2 - bicept, shoulder, forarm
    day three, back, legs

i did that routine twice a week, i got unbeleavable strength gain and bulk with this.

Dude, how the hell did you manage to work legs and back on the SAME day? I have a hard enough time doing calves once I've finished my legs on leg day and I'm lucky in that 3 sets of 10 and my calves just keep growing. But to do a full back workout as well...Did that last over 2hrs?
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 234lbs
    Years training with weights: 11, seriously: 6.
    Front squat:275x5 (264x4)
    Incline DB press:95x5 (92.5x6)
    DB row:110x6

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Max0d
    Dude, how the hell did you manage to work legs and back on the SAME day? I have a hard enough time doing calves once I've finished my legs on leg day and I'm lucky in that 3 sets of 10 and my calves just keep growing. But to do a full back workout as well...Did that last over 2hrs?
    I don't like that split either. Putting the 2 largest muscles on the same day doesn't seem right to me. Keep in mind though his workout could have been 3 sets of squats followed by 3 sets of rows (for example)...it wouldn't have to last an inordinate amount of time.

The split I'm doing now seems to be working well for me:

Day 1: quads/side delts/calves
    Day 2: back/bis/rear delts/abs
    Day 3: rest
    Day 4: hams/traps
    Day 5: chest/tris/front delts
    Day 6: rest
    Day 7: rest
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    I don't like that split either. Putting the 2 largest muscles on the same day doesn't seem right to me. Keep in mind though his workout could have been 3 sets of squats followed by 3 sets of rows (for example)...it wouldn't have to last an inordinate amount of time.
    the workout did not take that long because since their two different muscle group, you can do a set legs inbetween your back excersize, and back and forth. this also keeps your heartrate up. my workout is not for veryone, but a few guys i know have tried it, and they love it. it also takes alot of discipline.

If you're starting out I'd say push/pull/legs.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

We are all partial to our own splits.

When I begin developing a new routine I list the muscle groups I want to focus on:
    lats, traps/rhomboids, spinal erectors, neck
    pecs, abs/obliques/serratus
    hamstrings, quads, calves
    shoulders, triceps, biceps, forearms

Then I determine how many days I want to be in a split. The majority of us work on a 7 cycle, meaning every seven day the split starts again. However there is really no need to do this. The only benefit being you do the same movements on the same days of the week, which helps get into a routine.
    That said, my routine has 5 working days and is based on a 7 day split but I almost opted to make it 8 days (extra day of rest)

The next step is to pick which muscles compliment each other...I personally think hamstrings and spinal erectors blend well together, etc...Also this is where you have to address synergistic muscles, like you wouldn't want to put biceps the day before lats, and you wouldn't want to put triceps before pecs or shoulders....or calves before hamstrings, etc....

Anyway, these are just opinions, we all have em...these are mine, many disagree...I've been lifting for about 12 years now, I think the routine I have here rocks, I have the actual exercises reps/sets in my journal:

1 lats, traps/rhomboids
    2 hamstrings, spinal erectors, biceps
    3 REST
    4 pecs
    5 quads, calves
    6 shoulders, triceps
    7 REST

Didn't see anyone say:
    Monday: Chest & Back
    Wednesday: Legs & Shoulders
    Friday: Arms & Stomach

You can put Shoulders anywhere you please. I've been doin this for a few months and I like it. Doing Arms on one day is quite satisfying. Also it's easy to superset Chest and Back, Bis and Tris. Whatever you enjoy doing is what you should do. You'll gain regardless. As long as you have enough rest and eat well that is.

It's hard to go wrong when constructing your split. There are a few things to keep in mind.
    1) If you are working each bodypart only once per week you are going to have to do ALL of the volume for that bodypart in one workout. If you do too little volume, then your gains will have been maximized, then diminished by the next workout (7-8 days later). I'm not saying the once per week split cannot work, I'm just saying that you have to do more volume per workout this way.

2) Try to not workout bodyparts two days in a row. For example,
    Day 1: Chest/Tris
    Day 2: upperback/shoulders
    Day 3: Lowerback/bis
    Day 4: Legs/core

On this workout split you are working your upperback and shoulders two days in a row.

3) Try to not train your largest bodyparts together (unless you are working each group more than once per week).
    Example:
    Day 1: Chest/back

Your back and chest make up most of your upperbody. This will require a large amount of volume and time in this training session. A better split would look like,
    Day 1: Chest/Tris/shoulders
    Day 3: Legs/core
    Day 5: Back/Bi's

Finally, to my personal favorite.
    Monday: Upperbody
    Tuesday: Lowerbody
    Thursday: Upperbody
    Friday: Lowerbody

I have had the most success off of this split. I use a dynamic and a maximal effort day (still short of failure, however). The rep scheme is changed weekly. Ex. Week 1=4 per compound exersize, Weed 2=5 per compound exersize, and so on. If you want me to post the entire workout I will. Anyhoo, there's my thoughts on your question.
    Scott

Wannabebig Member
    After all of this discussion, I think I'm going to use this split:

Chest/Biceps/Sholders
    Back/Triceps
    Legs/Abs

sound good?

Chest, bis and shoulders in one session is a bit much. By to time you get to your final focus area, you will have depleted your upper body strength and grip such that you will gain very little from that part of your workout. Assuming you are working heavy that is. Chest and bis together would be good from a super-set type of format. JMO