Thread: Dumbell bench press question

Dumbell bench press question

How low are you suppose to go on the dumbell bench presses? I was always informed not to go all the way down, only until about your elbow/forearm is a little less then 90 degrees.. well last week while i was lifting someone told me to maximize the workout i should go all the way down- below my chest. Anyone know the correct form?

As low as you can comfortably go without hurting your shoulders.

P.S. 90% of the guys in your gym know jack sh!t.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

While I know it goes against conventional belief, I go as deep as I can. Same with fly's. I love the extra range of motion. May pay for it someday, but right now, it works for me.

Thats the advantage of using db over bb presses, the extra stretch you can get. I wouldnt say go as deep as you can but if you can get the db's to go a little below chest level. Puff out your chest a bit when performing them, as you would if you were going to flex your chest, and just allow you arms to follow a comfortable plane of motion. There is NO need to bang then together at the top of the movement. Dont extend your elbow joints fully but concentrate on contracting your chest fully before you start the decent.
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 234lbs
    Years training with weights: 11, seriously: 6.
    Front squat:275x5 (264x4)
    Incline DB press:95x5 (92.5x6)
    DB row:110x6

I wannabebig!
    Use a full ROM I usually go down to right on the sides of my chest because that is where I feel comfortable bringing them

Quote Originally Posted by Max0d
    Thats the advantage of using db over bb presses, the extra stretch you can get. I wouldnt say go as deep as you can but if you can get the db's to go a little below chest level. Puff out your chest a bit when performing them, as you would if you were going to flex your chest, and just allow you arms to follow a comfortable plane of motion. There is NO need to bang then together at the top of the movement. Dont extend your elbow joints fully but concentrate on contracting your chest fully before you start the decent.

I agree. Its a flexable range of motion. I wouldn't say that it should allow you to go past your chest in the movement as if you break that 90degree angle in your arm too much then you are incorporating your shoulders too much and thats how youo damage your rotator cuff. I would say it more or less allows you to have a free range of motion. I move my arms out wider at the bottom and move my hands inward toward the top, but I don't clang.
    Stats:

B: 440
    S: 685
    D: 595

5'10 215-220 during cut 230-235 off season

8-10%BF

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    about as deep as you can comfortably go, i usually can bring the dumbells down to touch my chest, but this was only after a while and after my shoulders loosened up quite a bit
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"