Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much strength loss to expect during a cut

How much strength loss to expect during a cut

Hey guys, I'm about a week into my first cut, and I'm wondering how much strength I can expect to lose. I'm looking to go from weighing 180 lbs to 170 lbs in 10 weeks. My workout schedule will stay basically the same with the addition of two cardio/HIIT workouts, but I've reduced my caloric intake.

If I get too weak, I'm going to abort the cut. I started benching 180 X 10 and squatting 200 X 8. How much less than that is acceptable loss for a ten week cut?

Also, how long does it typically take to gain back the lost strength when one goes back to bulking after a cut?

Thanks.

It depends on how low your deficit is, the foods you eat, sleep, and your routine mainly. You can expect zero losses if you do it right and keep the deficit small. I have found that with a weekly refeed I can keep my calories fairly high and lose weight. If I don't refeed, I stop losing weight, and then I gotta cut cals, and that = strength loss usually. This has been my experience with cutting. Goodluck.

I wannabebig!
    if you diet correctly not only can you keep your strength you can probably still increase.

How often should I be doing refeeds? I don't know my bodyfat %, but my estimate is 12 - 15 % @ 179 lbs.

I wannabebig!
    possibly once a week

You can gain strength if you don't go to fast and if you are losing strength on a diet you might lose MUSCLES ! It should never happend in my opinion !
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

whats a refeed?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    if you <A TITLE="Click for more information about diet" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://www.prescriptions-r-us.biz/">diet</A> correctly not only can you keep your strength you can probably still increase.
    ... you can't gain when you're losing 10 pounds, unless you're either new to lifting or you've been protein deficient the whole time and suddenly you start consuming a lot of protein during the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    ... you can't gain when you're losing 10 pounds, unless you're either new to lifting or you've been protein deficient the whole time and suddenly you start consuming a lot of protein during the cut.
    Or if you drastically change the way you train, thought I'd add that

I used to get alot of advise that on a cut strenght would definitly go down and that if you were doing really well you might break even.

BS.

Simply eat under maintainence calories so that you loose your target of 1 pound of weight a week, and lift hard. I uped my intensity so that im now working even harder than i do on a bulk, and its working. At then end of my last bulk i was lifting the most i had ever lifted for 5 reps on most excersises, now im back to the same strenth and lifting for 10+ reps, and still gaining strength!!

Although my physical size isnt as big as it was at the end of the bulk the strength is greater, and im assuming that if i carry the strength through to my next bulk that my physical size will increase as well.

Ive been on a cut for a while, but only recently have i been seeing visible signs of bodyfat loss. I maybe lose 0.25~0.5kg a week of weight.

So i say just get your calories right so that you are losing the weight your targeting and lift as if your still trying to gain strength, works for me. Not gaining strength..then put those little 1.25kg weights on ur barbell and force yourself to lift, next week put two more on and so on. I think the key to progressing in strength is to pregress in the weights your lifting. Sounds kinda obvious but ud be amazed at the amount of people ive seen in my gym who always bench the same, always squat the same. How can you expect to gain strength like that.

Anyway enough ranting from me.

If you want to gain strength on a cut i personaly believe its very acheivable, you just gotta put in the effort.

Never Satisfied.
    I think it's mental. I am currently ending the second cut I've ever done. The first time I did it, I expected to lose strength. Every workout I went into thinking "ok, I probably will lose a rep or 2 here" and then I did. I have dropped about 20-25lbs during this cut, and my strength in MOST exercises has stayed the same or increased. My bench decreased about 10lbs, squats a little too. That's about it. I don't expect to lose sh*t anymore. If you expect it, you will.

I expect to increase or maintain every time I pick up a weight now. So far, it's been working. I vote for it all being mental.

I can't wait to start bulking again, just to see how much increasing I do on a bulk if I bring this same thought process. Should be fun.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

your brain is a wonderful tool. its capable of bringing the most staggeringly potent advantage to any situation you may find yourself in: Your will.

Up to you if you choose to fail or not.

props to your attitude intensity

Augs.

One more question guys.
    Should refeeds be on a rest day or a workout day?

Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet
    One more question guys.
    Should refeeds be on a rest day or a workout day?
    Workout.

Ok, one last question.
    Is there any point in doing cardio/HIIT on a refeed day?
    In other words, for the refeed to work do you just need to consume tons of carbs, or do you need a caloric surplus made up of carbs?

I lost about 10lbs off of my 1 rep max bench press after about 3 months of cutting.

Not to bad IMO :-)
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I bulked and was at 204 at the beginning of the year. I am now 186 and I am still increasing weights on many of my lifts, including bench press. My deadlift is the same now as when I weighed 204. I too thought I would lose alot of strength when I lost the weight, guess not though.
    "Life is all the pain we endeavor.."

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys, I'm about a week into my first cut, and I'm wondering how much strength I can expect to lose. I'm looking to go from weighing 180 lbs to 170 lbs in 10 weeks. My workout schedule will stay basically the same with the addition of two cardio/HIIT workouts, but I've reduced my caloric intake.

If I get too weak, I'm going to abort the cut. I started benching 180 X 10 and squatting 200 X 8. How much less than that is acceptable loss for a ten week cut?

Also, how long does it typically take to gain back the lost strength when one goes back to bulking after a cut?

Thanks.
    hey i think i can help, i started about a month and 1/2 ago, at like you 180, iam now down to 167, and experiecned no loss in strength pretty much, i kept lifting 3 times a week, tho not as heavy, started cardio 3 days a week, cut snacking in between meals, and stopped eating junk food, just that little alone i was able to loose 13lbs and have virtually no loss in strenght, hope i was of some help, good luck on the cut!
    Last edited by sharpskin69; 05-31-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm in the process of cutting and I think it's very easy to maintain strength. If anything, I've increased the amount of times I could rep 80% of my max sinse I've been cutting.

As someone said earlier, I believe alot of it is mental..

Can anyone answer my question about whether or not cardio/HIIT should be on the same day as a refeed?

Can anyone answer my question about whether or not cardio/HIIT should be on the same day as a refeed?
    Depends on which diet you are following. When I resort to CKD, I don't do anything on Saturday or Sunday.

As for the original topic of the thread, I ran 1-AD on my last cut, and my lifts increased while I went from 214 to 195.

My cut last year, I lost some on my lifts, but I honestly cannot remember how much. I've got it in a notebook somewhere if you want me to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpskin69
    hey i think i can help, i started about a month and 1/2 ago, at like you 180, iam now down to 167, and experiecned no loss in strength pretty much, i kept lifting 3 times a week, tho not as heavy, started cardio 3 days a week, cut snacking in between meals, and stopped eating junk food, just that little alone i was able to loose 13lbs and have virtually no loss in strenght, hope i was of some help, good luck on the cut!
    yea :withstupi i been on my cut sine april and i have gone down from 175 to 161 and my strength has actually increased in certain areas..just make sure u keep ur protein intake high about 1-1.5grams ur bodyweight and u should be st8. also u dont neccessarily need to do cardio. i started to for about a week into my cut but then stopped. i dont do it anymore and i am still gettin leaner. Just count ur calories and you should be fine...also i would suggest a refeed every 1.5 week so that you leptin levels wlill not be hindered. and take some fish oil supplements if u have relaly dropped your fat intake.
    Bench 235 6 reps squats 415 8 reps barbell curls 120 rep 6 shoulder press 150lb 6
    shoulder press barbell 150 rep 6
    CUTTING stage 1 week
    before BW: 187 current BW:184
    before BF:20 current:20

MY PICS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../angelito2.jpg

when I cut at the end of my semester in about a month and a half I lost 20lbs, all my lifts went down about 10-20lbs. if that helps any

nah aslong as you dont starve yourself you shouldnt lose strength, maybe you could make some hard gains....

I'm interested in this 'refeed' business... Can someone please explain?

Aslin you necromancer! You brought a dead thread back to life!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.