Thread: IS body mass index the same as body fat????

IS body mass index the same as body fat????

I would like to know if body mass index is the same thing as body fat since i got my self weighted and it says my body mass index is 21.4kg/m2. Thanks dudes

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measure of weight and height. Its a better approach than just looking at only your weight and saying..."you are fat". It looks at your height too and says..."you are fat for your height". Or not.

Bodyfat % is a measure of your actual bodyfat. Its measured via several methods (calipers, scales or hydro (im sure there are others)) and just simply yields a result that says "15% of you is pure fat". It adds to the picture.

So if your BMI is telling you that you are fat because you are 5'10 and 200lbs and are showing up in the clinically obese section of the BMI chart well...gosh...shouldnt you be on a diet? no. not really. becasue you may well be a huge, ripped mofo. If you are 5'10, 220lbs and 8% body fat then you are NOT fat. you are in awesome shape. However a 5'10, 220lb person who is 35% bodyfat is going to be clinically obese.

Numbers are cruel. Its how you interperet them that matters.

Augs.

Answer: no.

Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

bah...

why didnt i think of the "no" answer. Story of my life.

pfft.

Well Augs, normally your answers are always great to read. I just found it amusing that what should have been a simple "yes or no" answer turned into a novel.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Augury
    It looks at your height too and says..."you are fat for your height". Or not.
    It actually says 'you weigh too much for your height', the BMI is outdated and should only be used for gross estimation of people over like 20% BF who you can see have little muscle mass. According to BMI, half the big guys here would be considered 'obese'

3:16
    the BMI is not a good way to measure fat.

Ronnie coleman when he wins the olympia he will be obese according to the BMI scale. yet he was not fat.
    basically its good for measuring trends of people weight of say the last 50 years. which generally says people are getting fattier.
    its more useful for a quick and cheap method of people fatness in sedentary people.

Its not useful for people who take part in sports that increase msucle mass.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

What everyone else said.

Most professional athletes are considered "obese" using BMI, even if they are at 8-10% bf.

BMI is only really usefull for the average person. According to all those charts and stuff I am totaly obese. Anyway, a far more useful measure to use is the FFMI (Fat Free Mass Index) which you can calculate as follows:

Wt * (100-%BF)
    ---------------- + 6.1 (1.8 - Ht)
    (Ht * Ht) * 100
    Where Wt=Weight in KG, BF=body fat percentage and Ht=height in metres.
    Here is rough guide to it's usefulness:

"...body mass index...this measure is not suitable for use with people who regularly train with weights as it often shows them as being obese. Fat-free mass index it is an objective measure of an individuals muscularity. For men who do not lift weights typical scores using a measure of fat-free mass index usually fall somewhere between 18-21. Fat-free mass index scores for men who lift weights but do not take steroids normally fall into the low 20ís, whereas fat-free mass index for steroid users may extend into the upper 20s or even low 30s..."
    Last edited by Max0d; 05-28-2004 at 05:28 PM.
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 234lbs
    Years training with weights: 11, seriously: 6.
    Front squat:275x5 (264x4)
    Incline DB press:95x5 (92.5x6)
    DB row:110x6