Thread: Cardio question

Cardio question

Is cardio EL YAY or EL NO? lol...

Seriously, I've been told to lay off cardio being that when I first began I was 6'1" and 140. Now, after having been lifting for a few months and having gained a bit of weight, exactly how much cardio and for how long should I be doing?

I'm not cutting yet btw.

I figure something like an hour of cardio on the off days in the gym, either bike or treadmill....but wanted to check before I did anything that might cause me to burn off muscle.

Thanks in advance,

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

I wouldn't start out with an hour right out of the gate, you might burn yourelf out. Start with 20 minutes for a week or two and then increase your minutes as you see fit (5-10 minutes).

Just make sure you are getting enough carbs before and after your sessions and you will be fine.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rpffly
    I wouldn't start out with an hour right out of the gate, you might burn yourelf out. Start with 20 minutes for a week or two and then increase your minutes as you see fit (5-10 minutes).

Just make sure you are getting enough carbs before and after your sessions and you will be fine.
    I agree with the first part. Ease into the cardio. A couple of shorter sessions per week just to get your body accustomed to it...it does hinder recovery, so easing into will allow your body to adjust more effectively. It's like wanting to jump from eating 2000 calories a day on a cut to 5000 calories a day on a bulk. If you make the 3000 cal jump all at once, your body won't know what hit it and you'll most likely gain a significant amount of fat. However, increase cals by a couple of hundred per week over the course of a couple months and you should see much leaner gains.

As for carbs before and after, I disagree. Assuming we're not talking about HIIT cardio, I would not eat carbs before OR after cardio...for maximum fat-burning potential.

What exactly is HIIT cardio and where can I read about it? Not going to try it at this time, but want to know more about it for future reference.

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 05-30-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Banned
    Do a search, there's a ton of threads on it.

HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training

The basic idea is alternating periods of full out "sprints" (running, cycling, swimming, stairmaster, whatever) with light jogging or walking. Much more difficult than lower intensity versions of cardio and hinders recovery more as well. However, it boosts your metabolism for hours after the session is completed, so is generally regarded as the best/one of the best forms of cardio for fat-burning purposes.

Well Soba, I was under the impression that you were more interested in including cardio into your workout regimen and less interested in fat loss as you had mentioned that you are not cutting. Is it safe to say that you are still bulking? If so it is fine to do cardio while bulking you just need to replace the calories that you burned. But I'm sure you know this.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Quote Originally Posted by rpffly
    Well Soba, I was under the impression that you were more interested in including cardio into your workout regimen and less interested in fat loss as you had mentioned that you are not cutting. Is it safe to say that you are still bulking? If so it is fine to do cardio while bulking you just need to replace the calories that you burned. But I'm sure you know this.
    Yes, I'm bulking. However, I've also gained some fat and I'm not happy. I don't want to have to wait till I begin cutting to lose that excess baggage.

As for doing cardio, this is a bit new to me, so am doing all the reading I can as well as asking questions.

As for eating something in the morning, what constitutes sufficient carbs? (A further question is why the disagreement over carbs before and after.) Typically I usually have something like a whey/dextrose shake with soy milk and/or either cottage cheese or fruit before a workout.

Was thinking of doing a 20 minute session tonight but that got scrapped. I'm probably going to have to do my cardio in the morning because doing it in the evening isn't going to cut it given my work schedule.

No, not HIIT, that was just something I wanted to know for future reference.

Thanks for the replies...

Stash

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    Yes, I'm bulking. However, I've also gained some fat and I'm not happy. I don't want to have to wait till I begin cutting to lose that excess baggage.
    It's highly unlikely that adding cardio to your routine will allow you to drop body fat while still bulking. Aside from being new to training, or being extremely anal about your diet and eating foods at the exact right times, or using drugs, you cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

At 6'1" and 140lbs I wouldn't be doing much cardio at all if I were you. You are a long way from needing to worry about cutting. If you want to do some cardio for the cardiovascular benifit I would go with 2 20 - 30 minutes sessions per week and make sure you eat something or have a shake after your cardio. You say that you've added some fat and are not happy about it. You will add some fat while bulking. It just goes with the territory. If you worry about every little bit of fat that you put on you are never going to add any quality mass.

I agree with gopher -

I would include a little cardio (2 or 3 sessions for 20 minutes or so) - I find it helps with my lifting.

Keep your focus on gettting bigger and stronger, you'll know when it's time to drop some bodyfat.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I did HIIT this morning on a bike and it was fu.ckin hell.

Nothin can else can describe it, i have mad respect for these people.
    Last edited by rapidshoter; 06-03-2004 at 08:06 AM.
    Saddam: "Bush is the real criminal"

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    At 6'1" and 140lbs I wouldn't be doing much cardio at all if I were you....You say that you've added some fat and are not happy about it. You will add some fat while bulking. It just goes with the territory. If you worry about every little bit of fat that you put on you are never going to add any quality mass.
    Well actually, gopher, I'm 168 now. I was 140 back in December 2003. (See my journal for details.) When I reach 180 -- probably in a little like 5 months or so, maybe longer, I'll begin a cut.

Yeah, I'm resigned to carrying that blubber but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it

Thanks btw for the replies. On reading all these journals, people include cardio a great deal in their routines, so I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong by NOT including it in my routine. I just wanted to find out info before I did something that could potentially undo my gains.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher
    You are a long way from needing to worry about cutting. If you want to do some cardio for the cardiovascular benifit I would go with 2 20 - 30 minutes sessions per week and make sure you eat something or have a shake after your cardio.
    Sounds like this is the way to go. Thanks again.

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 06-03-2004 at 10:47 AM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles